• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

4/21 Panther's Pulse w/ Marty Hurney

mav1234

yeah hurney specifically asked Pat to come on; he must of also know what he was going to talk about and he didn't pull any punches as to what he thought they'd do..now is it all just part of his plan to pull off this ultimate ruse? we will see soon i guess.

I don't know, I think Marty did tip his hand a little bit with the Denver-Dareus answer... Usually, I would expect him to say he isn't keeping up with other teams' evaluation process, interest, etc.

The way it sounds to me and how I'm looking at it right now, I think it's Cam or AJ Green @ #1, OR we're looking to trade out of it. I really think he's leaning towards Cam with all the "how they win games for you" and repeated "win games" talk.

I don't know, I think Marty did tip his hand a little bit with the Denver-Dareus answer... Usually, I would expect him to say he isn't keeping up with other teams' evaluation process, interest, etc.

The way it sounds to me and how I'm looking at it right now, I think it's Cam or AJ Green @ #1, OR we're looking to trade out of it. I really think he's leaning towards Cam with all the "how they win games for you" and repeated "win games" talk.

Has any WR ever been potentially been guaranteed 55 million dollars? We'd have the highest paid WR and wouldn't even have taken a snap. CB the same thought process...and Sometimes DTs get paid a lot but usually they are the cream of the crop..Hurney is suppose to be this salary cap genius so i think it's crazy to think he doesn't consider what postion he's giving up all this money to.

Whatever it is, I've had 'em for a while.

They're with you through the process.

College scouts are in the room. Ron Rivera. Don Gregory. Danny Morrison. Mr. Richardson. Tony Price, my assistant. Security, trainers, doctors... Quite a number, about 20-25 people in the draft room.

It's communication. I communicate with 'em but they make it clear they go by my suggestion.

We don't have a 2nd rounder.

Never know what to believe this time a year, but the name you hear a lot is Marcell Dareus if he's there.

Don't know that.

No I don't, I really don't. Some teams, one of the routines in the next week will be to assign scouts 1 or 2 teams each and have them pick who they would pick if they were that team, but we don't do that. We align our board vertically by position. Spent all week, 8 am to 5 or 6 in the evening, watching tape of players down in each position group who were in clumps. We feel VERY good about our board vertically, now we will align it horizontally.

200+

No, not at all. Our board is in the bottom third in number of prospects ranked. Some go for 350-400 guys... Some go in the 100 range.

Strictly talent. Strictly as a football player and how he wins you games.

What happens is... I try not to, but sometimes you'll see snippets of things but I did not watch the whole segment but at this point you get away and try to make sure that you don't overload as far as information goes and opinion overload. Everybody has got opinions but you just have to sort through it and make sure the decision you're making for the right reason.

The fact is you've been in the room with Cam Newton when he's been in the room with current football coaches and I'd rather draw my opinions from personal opinions. You always watch stuff... Impossible not to look at 'em... but I think you have to... there's so much information overload... form your own opinion with your own research.

A lot of people would think you're talking to me when you say "stupid"... It all starts by what you envision your football team doing, what personality, how you win games (hmm). We go down the traits we want at each position, what we want our strengths to be, how we're going to win football games. Listen to evaluators, listen to scouts as these guys as player. What I have to do is who is the best fit at each pick.

*Hurney trips over words a bit here, was hard to tell exactly what he said the first time around, will edit when the podcast is up* There haven't been a lot of talk for the first pick. (was the jist of it, need to re-listen to get exact words)

Houston said they were taking Carr in Feb yet we got NO calls despite being #2...

Yes.

To some extent but most draft day deals are for draft picks.

I did... I did... You talk about the game has changed, and it really has over recent years... How do you see the quarterback position as a whole panning out over the first 1-2 rounds?

Pat you cover our division. Why don't you fill our listeners in on what the needs are of the other teams?

:)

I didn't get much of a Cam feeling from Hurney tbh, but obviously I did from Yas.

Wouldn't be surprised if we went Cam now, but not from anything Hurney's said recently...

I didn't hear anything that indicated we are going in Cam's direction either.. in fact, I came away thinking we don't feel 100% confident on Cam Newton. I suppose you can take what you want from that segment.. I am sure the Cam huggers feel the complete opposite.

JH: Strictly listed by ability? Would fan excitement or ticket sales come into the equation at all?

MH: Strictly talent. Strictly as a football player and how he wins you games.

I love this quote.

Who cares what the national media thinks? Who cares how much national attention we get? None of that crap means a thing!

Winning is all that matters! :patriot:

The Panthers are smart enough not to draft any "flash in the pan" overnight success like cameron or media darling like cameron just to sell tickets.

Winning sells tickets. :patriot:

Archived