• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who else is on the fence, unsure, or have wavered about who we should draft?

theyhateme45

I know most on here seem to have everything figured out and knows exactly what we should do with our draft pick. Ever since Andrew Luck decided to return to school (much respect) I have wavered or flip flopped between who I want to draft a few times.

Originally I wanted to go AJ Green. I think he will be a very good NFL WR and can help sure up our WR group for the foreseeable future. Right now we are average, but he can help to start elevating the group past average. Then I jumped on Cam Bandwagon. I’ve been on the bandwagon for awhile. He is a great talent, and you have to take a chance to be great at the QB position, plus I do not see us getting an opportunity to take prospect like him any time in the near future… I wanted to strive r take a chance for greatness and not settle on mediocrity and a good season here or there.

But now I’m turning off to the idea of Cam. Actually it was QB camp with Gruden that did it for me. I always knew that it was going to be learning process for him to learn the NFL offense, but I felt that he has good work ethics and will do what is needed to learn what he needs to learn… I never felt like he was incapable of learning… That was the biggest risk in my eyes of drafting Cam. But watching him on the whiteboard diagramming a play I realized he has an extremely long way to go. Even the QB’s who come from a spread can quickly and easily get up diagram a play and know what exactly is going on… multiple reads, audibles, signals, coverage, ect…. To me it seemed Cam was hesitate or slow just to place the positions of opposing defensive players, basis 101 stuff. I honestly feel if we take him it’s going to be a project and require a few years to try and start tapping into his potential. Based off of the small clip it seemed his gap in required NFL knowledge was far greater than I expected it to be, and I all ready expected it to be pretty big.

So now I am left questioning do we draft him #1? If not when do when get our franchise QB we need to be consistent in the NFL. Do we go back to drafting WR? With no 2nd round pick and the worst offense in the NFL we cannot afford to go defense IMO. I’m not sold on Gabbert at all either. I believe JR has made it clear that trading back is not an option, and even so with no clear cut #1 this year nobody is going to give up a lot to move up. I mean in past years teams have desperately tried to shop the #1 pick, but teams never want to give up too much… especially those drafting early in the draft because those teams have a lot of needs also.

I will join the small group of those who don’t know it all and is unsure about what we should do with our draft pick this year… I think I’m to the point where going to stop thinking and wait until the pick and then react.

I also was all about drafting Green (after Luck went back, NO respect :mad:) But I've come to agree that WR #1 just isn't the best value and not the most help for our team. After that I slid onto the Cam bandwagon (but very interested in Dareus), just because I think QB is the biggest piece missing from our team and Gabbert just is anti-impressive. Right now I'm about 65/35 Cam/Dareus.

I think they are leaning towards AJ Green tbh. Hurney knows Steve Smith wants out.. and we need a #1 guy there if Smitty goes. Dareus and Peterson is in the mix.. and as much as I would like us to take Gabbert.. I don't think our FO is high on either QB. So in my completely unbiased opinion.. I think it's down to those 3 guys.. Dareus/Peterson/Green.

Take Newton... he's a once in lifetime athlete. Bring him a long slowly. With a strong running game... he'll be deadly with the playaction.

Yea yea yea, I know all the postives and reasons to take cam.... This is a thread for those who are unsure on whats best for the team who don't know it all right now.

I have always been a Dline man and I always live the theory that you build from the inside out. So, I prefer Dareus and a Guard in later rounds that can start and give our young WR another year exp. Give the lines a year to jell with a vet QB, then bring in the QB of the future.

On the fence between Dareus and Peterson. Haven't wanted Green before but growing comfortable with the idea if it happens. Beginning to allow Von Miller into the equation, though I don't take that idea seriously in the real world (yet).

Yes Miller is a great prospect.... but isn't his stenght more suited for a Outside LB in a 3-4 Defense? How would you use him in our 4-3 and would that take away from his strengths?

I convince myself I don't know who is best to take because there are a number of great options. ;)

I could seriously see Green, Dareus, Peterson, or one of the QBs as being a great pick. I just can't believe we would take a LB right now.

I think Moore could really light it up if we had a solid running game and brought in AJ Green. He may not be an elite quarterback ever but I think he might be more than decent, especially with deadly weapons. This would give us time to search future drafts for "that guy," all this assuming the Panthers aren't sold on a QB in this draft.

Dareus would solidify our defense. My feeling is that a top 5 defense is every bit as important as a great offense when it comes to playing in a division with great quarterbacks. I like to think Dareus could command some double teams down low, which could cause some nice openings for our LBs behind him mebbe.

Peterson would help out a secondary that is going to need it. He'd be an instant upgrade on defense, and Hurney's said some things that make me think they want a solid returner. He's about as solid as it gets there, but I think if he ever reaches elite corner level he won't be returning punts.

The arguments have already been made for the QBs elsewhere so w/e.

I have always been a Dline man and I always live the theory that you build from the inside out. So, I prefer Dareus and a Guard in later rounds that can start and give our young WR another year exp. Give the lines a year to jell with a vet QB, then bring in the QB of the future.

I would not mind going this route if I knew we would be able to draft our QB of the future later.... But I believe we will be a much better team next year and will be drafting somewhere in the mid teens next year.

LOL, I know trades like this does not happen, can't happen, and we will not trade down, but I would not mind making a trade with a team in the top 10 this year to swap 1st round picks, and pick up their 3rd this year and have the option next year of either swaping 1st round picks again, or taking their 2nd round pick. Now we've increased our chances of being able to draft a QB next year....

I think I'd like to go for Dareus, Fairley, or Green. Our defense would be so scary with Dareus. Even if we took Cam he's going to struggle so it's not like the defense couldn't use Dareus.

My only reluctance with Green is that I don't like the idea of pushing Gettis, LaFell or AE down the depth chart any further. I think each of them can be pretty good in their own right. So that's my concern there, however our WR core with Green on the roster makes them overpowering.

I think Cam is an interesting prospect but I don't feel that he is at all worth the #1 pick. I also don't believe that this team is hopeless and needs some sort of savior to save it. We had a lame duck coach last year and probably the most awkward situation for a team to be in, ever.

Peterson is pretty amazing and probably the most talented player but I feel like if we go defense we need a DT. Landri is ok but the rest of the guys don't cut it anyway you slice it. Hardy and CJ, and maybe even Brown should rack up sacks with Dareus on the inside. He's also a versatile option in the 3-4.

I've been on the Newton train the whole time, and haven't wavered. As for playcalling ability that's something that comes with time..and with today's technology you can just talk in his ear on what to do just like in Madden haha.

Also he's the only one who could potentially be worth the cost of a number one pick..GM's are assuming 2010 rules..so I wouldn't want to the panthers to pay any other position 55 mil guaranteed when they dont' have a chance to be worth that much, especially when we are going to have to have a QB that demands that much at some point anyway. hell haynsworth only got 22.5 guaranteed and we are willing to give Dareus that much?

I would not mind going this route if I knew we would be able to draft our QB of the future later.... But I believe we will be a much better team next year and will be drafting somewhere in the mid teens next year.

LOL, I know trades like this does not happen, can't happen, and we will not trade down, but I would not mind making a trade with a team in the top 10 this year to swap 1st round picks, and pick up their 3rd this year and have the option next year of either swaping 1st round picks again, or taking their 2nd round pick. Now we've increased our chances of being able to draft a QB next year....

I believe we will have a better team next yr, but have you looked at the schedule. We will be a better team but our record will not show it. I see us picking in the top 10 next yr .... Even if they pick our "SAVIOR" Cam

Archived