• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Taking the 15th ranked player with the #1 overall pick doesn't make much sense...

Darth Urious

That hypothetical doesn't really make sense to me. I understand that you take your guy no matter where you are, but if you were trying to convey anything beyond that I don't get it.

Several points:

1) Different positions carry different values. QB, LT, and DE are almost always going to be valued higher than other positions. Those are the spots where you get the most "bang for the buck".

2) Teams have to guess what others below them will do. Sure, we could trade down to 15 to try for better ROI, as you put it, but the top 2 and maybe top 3 QB's will be off the board.

DT carries a high value for us this year because of need and with Dareus being a highly rated player, it would be one of the logical selections.

But if the team feels QB is an overwhelming need, then you don't let a player being 15th on the big board stop you from taking him.

But if the team feels QB is an overwhelming need, then you don't let a player being 15th on the big board stop you from taking him.

I understand the point you're trying to make but it is extremely unlikely that he is rated 15 on their board if they think very highly of him and are considering him at #1.

Teams have many needs and most of the time there is one you don't need to reach quite so far for in order to fill, even if they aren't one of the traditional #1 picks

I understand the point you're trying to make but it is extremely unlikely that he is rated 15 on their board if they think very highly of him and are considering him at #1.

yes

the only big board that matters is Hurney's big board, and if Cam Newton answers all the questions Marty has about him then he will be the pick

yes

the only big board that matters is Hurney's big board, and if Cam Newton answers all the questions Marty has about him then he will be the pick

I agree with that.

Ultimately all most of us disagree on is if Cam has likely answered all those questions or not. Some of us doubt he has, others are convinced he did. ...Some few don't even think he was asked any questions and he was just anointed #1, but thankfully those people are very rare. (There are an equal number that don't think Cam has even been asked questions and was never consideration so hey)

But, in all seriousness, how do you justify such a roll of the dice when there are players figured to be better at their positions (some of which we could use more than a little help with) across the collective boards?

Hype.

The media ranks Cam lower than most coaches do. It's funny; you hear the Kipers & McShay's of the world rank him so low, even quite a few GM's have him low, but whenever you hear an NFL coach asked about him they're always gushing about the guy.

And anyway, ranking players prior to the draft doesn't mean a thing. Josh Freeman wasn't rated as a top-5 player either; he went in the middle of the round, but was obviously a much better pickup than many of the guys who went before him.

If you think a player is a good fit for your team and has franchise QB potential, you take him. Doesn't matter what the perceived value really is. Joe Flacco is another guy who went a lot higher than expected; most "experts" had him rated as a 2nd round prospect, but the Ravens traded up to take him in the mid-1st.

Rankings are wrong every year by a pretty wide margin. Just because Cam isn't a consensus top-5 pick doesn't mean he's doomed to fail if he goes 1st overall.

Drafting by best player available is not a great idea either. Tom Brady would go first overall if there were do-overs.

If a player stands out to a team, I don't see how it is a "reach" if they pan out. If a pro bowl player is sitting there as a projected 3rd or 4th round, would anyone be upset if we "reached" and grabbed him in the 2nd? Absolutely not.

The only time people will question bad drafting strategy is when a player doesn't produce and is labeled a bust. In reality, every single player in the draft is a risk and nobody is ever sure who the next Tom Brady is.

Furthermore, I am against drafting Cam Newton.

yes

I agree with this also... The difference being that I am on the side that thinks Newton isn't #1 on our board, and I am under the impression that you are the opposite...

Everyone assumes all these meetings with Cam are a sure sign that the Panthers are convincing themselves that they want him... Personally, I think it is a valid point of view to see the opposite... that they could possibly be convincing themselves that they don't want him...

Again, I won't hate a Cam Newton #1 overall pick for the Panthers... it just doesn't make much sense to me personally...

Cam Newton is the #1 ranked player and the QB we've coveted most, so I dont know why his name is associated with this thread. Now I agree, taking Jake Locker at #1 (who is ranked close to 15) doesnt make much sense.

In what alternate universe is Cam Newton the #1 ranked player in this draft?

There is not an expert out there who even has him in the Top 10 overall prospects in this draft.

This is a prime example of how teams with QB needs will reach and convince themselves that a player is better than he actually is.

Archived