• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An interesting quote (Re: the effort question)

Mr. Scot

So lets say this is true, shouldn't you be mad at the Panthers organization for wanting to resign, and admit to wanting to have Peppers around?

We don't have all the facts. All we know is what they've said publicly. There are doubtless several variables of which we are unaware.

You get mad at Peppers for taking plays off, but it is ok for the team to want to have a player that takes plays off, and actively try to keep his services?

I've never gotten mad at Peppers. And again, all we know is what they've said publicly.

What does that really say about the franchise?

(then again it looks like Fox takes entire games off sometimes)

If it were true, and we had all the facts, then it would say that the organization has a strange way of doing business.

We don't have all the facts. All we know is what they've said publicly. There are doubtless several variables of which we are unaware.

I've never gotten mad at Peppers. And again, all we know is what they've said publicly.

If it were true, and we had all the facts, then it would say that the organization has a strange way of doing business.

Some people have made up their minds that it is true, so they need to evaluate the team they love so much and see if it really is in line with their beliefs.

Absence of proof = not guilty

If this were a court of law rather than the court of public opinion, you'd have a point.

It sure sounds like you have a side. You aren't making any arguments as to why these slanderous comments should not be accepted at face value. You seem to be willing to side with the negative nancies by making statements such as the one quote above this one.

I've made no arguments as to why these statements should be either accepted or rejected. My only comment on the situation was that players and coaches are not going to publicly criticize Peppers as long as he may be with the team next year. I have no idea how you think "absence of proof is not proof of absence" equates to a statement that agrees with "negative nancies," whatever that means.

So he has the ability to be elite, but instead is great. Wow, what a jackass..whatever. The only year he didn't do hardly anything was that year he got sick. Thats the only bad year he has ever had. The next year he has 14.5 sacks. His highest sack total ever. He had alot of QB hurries, disrupted running routes, and not alot of plays were run his way.

If people are mad he didn't get 25 sacks and 15 forced fumbles, and 10 INTs, it's time for those people to be realistic. I can't imagine what many people here thought of Peppers in 2003 with only 7 sacks. Gee..I wonder who else was on the line in 2003. Let's see..Jenkins, Buckner, and Rucker. It was our best line ever! He's been the same great DE ever since he got here except when he got sick. There was no other help on the line this year. So for those that had unrealistic super human expectations for him..get over it!

If this were a court of law rather than the court of public opinion, you'd have a point.

The court of public opinion is overwhelmingly on my side. You don't have to look at too many message boards or listen to too many radio shows, etc. to know that vast majority of fans and teams would LOVE to have Peppers play for them.

He fulfilled his contract and played fantastic for us. He's ready to move on and we should too (provided the Panthers front office doesn't have other plans).

The only year he didn't do hardly anything was that year he got sick. Thats the only bad year he has ever had.

That's not true. A poster on this board knows a guy, who knows the cousin of a friend of Peppers' girlfriend from his 8th grade year in junior high, and that guy said Peppers didn't feel like working that year. I don't see how you can be any more concrete than that.

The court of public opinion is overwhelmingly on my side. You don't have to look at too many message boards or listen to too many radio shows, etc. to know that vast majority of fans and teams would LOVE to have Peppers play for them.

He fulfilled his contract and played fantastic for us. He's ready to move on and we should too (provided the Panthers front office doesn't have other plans).

I'm glad that you feel that your "side" is overwhelmingly supportive. Please feel free to supply another non sequitur as a rejoinder.

What I really want is more of a Deangelo Williams: very talented and "thought" he was working hard only to find out from a mentor (Vinny Testaverde) that he had a lot more room for improvement. So he went out and worked harder. Thus great talent + super hard worker = great player.

Apparently Vinny did not talk to Pep.

I'm glad that you feel that your "side" is overwhelmingly supportive. Please feel free to supply another non sequitur as a rejoinder.

Non sequitur? Seriously? Go back to class.

I never said my side is overwhelmingly supportive...I said "The court of public opinion is overwhelmingly on my side." What you typed doesn't even make sense.

The skill difference in NFL teams is not as much as it appears to be. Yes, talent is important, but the drive to be the best is most important. Without it, a player is practically worthless.

To me, a half-ass Julius, which is what we've seen now for a while, is no better than your average defensive lineman.

Let me phrase this as a simple yes-no question, to those who love him, those who hate him, those who are just being practical, regardless...

Do you believe that Peppers gave full effort when he was on the field; never half-assed, never took plays off?

I wish I could say no, but I can't say that. Only peppers knows the truth to that. That being said I would lean towards that he did take plays off.

Archived