• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers 2011 - What Will You Be Satisfied With?

There has been a lot of talk about expectations here, but it doesn't really have it's own thread.

So, when you look back at 2011, what will you need to see to be satisfied with the season?

Is it a certain amount of wins? Or maybe you want to see specific ranking changes (e.g. the Panthers move from 32nd in total offense to at least 20th or better).

Or maybe it's something more intangible. I dunno.

For the record, this isn't a prediction thread.

I just want to know what would allow you to look back at the season and say, "Okay! I'm good with that!"

copy paste from another thread because i'm lazy...

i'm expecting to see the same results this year as i am from a rookie QB (any rookie QB).

progress.

i expect more wins than last year, but the bar is set pretty low.

what i expect to see is a group of guys and their coaching staff going through some growing pains, but having things click. finding out what works and what doesn't, and then building on what works and either eliminating those things that don't work or getting them fixed if they are necessary.

i expect them to get better from week to week, keeping in mind that 1) those improvements may not show up as wins this year and 2) there will be bumps and potholes on the road.

i would love to see us surprise everyone and show up in the playoffs even as just a wildcard, but be real...this isn't the NFCW. there are good teams in this division and the saints, falcons, and bucs are legit candidates for the playoffs, even with a tough record. it really hurts our chances of squeaking in.

i expect that we will get between 5-7 wins this year and i would be fine with that, provided we see progress from within this team.

6-10 would be barely acceptable given our schedule.

I'm really hoping for 8-8 though.

If we do better than .500, I'll be singing Rivera's praises.

If we make it to the playoffs, I'll be amazed and delighted.

If we somehow make it to the Superbowl... it would be a historic feat (no team has ever gone from #32 to the Superbowl the next year). People would be talking about the Panthers for years to come. Rivera would be validated as the most intelligent coaching change ever, and John Fox would be laughed out of the league.

If we WIN the Superbowl... The day the Lombardi came home, the heavens would open over Bank of America stadium, and angels would trumpet our victory. A host of cherubs would unfurl white banners with the Panther's logo gilded in gold all around the stadium grounds. A gold and marble throne would appear in the center of the field with a glowing beacon of light in the seat. Rivera and Newton would be translocated to it, as an NFL crown appeared over their heads and angel wings sprouted from their backs. The stadium would then be filled with all the players and coaches from the league, and they would fall to their hands and face unable to put their eyes upon their glory. Then a loud voice would declare "For this feat of unprecedented achievement in the face of utmost adversity, you, Ron Rivera, and you, Cam Newton, have attained Football Immortality. You will live out your lives on earth in wealth and fame. Your names shall never be forgotten." Then the spirit of Lombardi himself would manifest and give them Superbowl rings with the purest diamond and metals ever made.

In all reality, I'd want a minimum of 8 wins, just so Jamie Dukes can shut his awful mouth. But in all seriousness, I just want to see competitive play out there and a stifling defense. No more vanilla Foxball and unimaginative schemes, no more run it up the gut for 1 yard, run it up the gut for 2 yards, then force your rookie into 3rd and long. I'm not putting the blame entirely on Fox, but Jesus our offensive game plans were a joke. Opposing D coordinators probably looked at our matchups as extra bye-weeks.

This is an exciting time Panther fans, we took our stale philosophy and turned it upside down. Despite some of KT's allegations about ignorance, he's absolutely right in that the Panthers are serious about winning now, with a commitment to dictating how the game is to be played, as opposed to just going along with it and playing "not to lose"

Archived