• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where do you stand on corporal punishment in schools?

Brokenbad

I heard on the radio today that more schools were opening up to the idea of corporal punishment.

I am not against the idea; however, I am against the stipulations. The stipulations state that parents have the option to decline corporal punishment, but other parents may encourage it.

I have mixed feelings about corporal punishment, but I say equal punishment to all. It is unfair for a child to get spankings at school when all of the other children are not neccesarily subject to it.

We have all been children, and we all know that sometimes we take a punishment for things that we did not do.

How fair would it be for a good student to recieve a spanking at his/her parents requests, when there is a total turd of a child who recieves no punishments for his/her actions?

I say equal punishment to all. The school system should either let the parents be aware of corporal punishment to all or just not have any form of corporal punishment.

What say you?

i don't have any children of my own... so parents out there, feel free to discredit this if you like

BUT... i do not want ANY teacher being left in charge of punishing my child. that matter should be left to the parents. if my kid were acting up in the class room, i would most definitely be handling it on my own at home. nobody else should be laying a hand on my child

personally, i think this has become an issue because there are children that aren't receiving the necessary discipline at home when something at school happens... but if it were to be brought up on a child-by-child basis... which parents do you think would generally be against it? my guess would be the parents that aren't taking any action to discipline their children themselves

plus, how would you manage a system like this on a child-by-child basis? would you have a list that you'd have to check and double check every time you need to discipline a student? that seems like a messy situation to me and one that would ultimately cause more disruptions in the classroom

It's really a double edged sword. On the one hand, I definitely think that teachers should give a disobedient kid a beating once in a while. But on the other hand, if I ever heard that a teacher had hit my kid, I'd have to be physically restrained.

But it takes a village to raise a child, and (around here especially) there are too many liberal hippies letting their kids do anything without consequence. I mean I can't tell you how many times I see a kid screaming at the top of her lungs, or rolling around in the middle of a Target store because the parents won't but him a toy. And the parents are just tuning the kid out, not reacting, not scolding or disciplining in any way, the kid is just making everyone else miserable. And I can't tell you how many times I've thought, "I wonder if I'd get arrested if I beat this kid?" I think if the parents won't do it, the kid needs to get discipline from somewhere. So I'm for it, and I'll just have to do a good job parenting so my kid doesn't need to be hit in school.

The only way this works is if parents (all of them) trust the teacher to do the right thing, and that ain't gonna happen.

So that makes it a bad idea IMO. If you are the type of parent who disciplines properly that means your kid gets double the discipline while the turds keep getting off easy.

But it takes a village to raise a child, and (around here especially) there are too many liberal hippies letting their kids do anything without consequence. I mean I can't tell you how many times I see a kid screaming at the top of her lungs, or rolling around in the middle of a Target store because the parents won't but him a toy. And the parents are just tuning the kid out, not reacting, not scolding or disciplining in any way, the kid is just making everyone else miserable. And I can't tell you how many times I've thought, "I wonder if I'd get arrested if I beat this kid?" I think if the parents won't do it, the kid needs to get discipline from somewhere. So I'm for it, and I'll just have to do a good job parenting so my kid doesn't need to be hit in school.

really...? :confused: :(

that comment makes me sad. the lack of parenting is an issue across the board... from the conservative big-wigs who throw money at their children to get them out of their faces and teach them no values to the trailer trash who can't be bothered to lift a finger to be involved with the raising of their child

schools shouldn't. parents should. many don't though, and you can tell which kids those are. whether you like to do it or not, pain is understood universally. groundings, time outs, and other non-physical means of punishment are quickly forgotten.

i feel like this is a tinderbox thread btw

really...? :confused: :(

that comment makes me sad. the lack of parenting is an issue across the board... from the conservative big-wigs who throw money at their children to get them out of their faces and teach them no values to the trailer trash who can't be bothered to lift a finger to be involved with the raising of their child

Well the hippies' kids are the ones who affect me directly, because they never tell their noisy kids to STFU. So they get the call-out.

i'll always go with the stern word first, but there won't be repeats of warnings. i should also state that there are limits to spankings too. the only permissible areas are a slap on the hand or the butt. anywhere else is going to far IMO.

Archived