• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm on the Derek Anderson bandwagon....

agreed. just another reason he could come hold the clipboard. not sure if we should use the roster spot though on a guy with very little arm left. i mean what if we actually had to put him in?

If the worst happens and Cam just can't play this season, I'd guess the win/loss record with Jake would be about the same as it would with Volek or Anderson. If you have to get a veteran who can play now, I'd think the only real options are McNabb and Bulger. But with Minny, Cincy, San Fran, and Tennessee drafting quarterbacks maybe the market for one of them will be reasonable.

I actually think a veteran can work one of two ways with a young player like Cam Newton. One, you have a guy who obviously wants to beat him and they don't talk much but it forces the young player to work as hard as possible to beat him. Secondly, you have a veteran QB that works with the rookie and perhaps grows close to him personally and attempts to impart the wisdom of the position onto the player.

I think Cam needs the first kind of veteran QB in order to help motivate himself to beat him. Cam seems to strive under adversity. I want to see him get angry, get motivated, and beat the veteran we have on the roster. I don't want to see him palling around with the guy he is supposed to beat. I want to see that killer instinct from him where the veteran QB is trying to take HIS job.

I think Anderson would be a perfect foil for that. We already have QB coaches.

agreed. just another reason he could come hold the clipboard. not sure if we should use the roster spot though on a guy with very little arm left. i mean what if we actually had to put him in?
i'd rather have chad pennington if we are going to go after damaged goods QBs. jake's just a good guy. pennington is a smart QB made of glass who has been a player coach for years.

as long as the guy has a good bit of experience and is a good teammate/positive influence, i don't really care who it is. they have to know that it's not realistic that they would get the starting job and if they do get it, it's likely to be a very short term thing.

experience in the system would be ok...but far from crucial. knowing how to read defenses and make adjustments at the line is much more important, imo.

I agree, a 2 year contract to Derek Anderson isn't great, but it might be the best we can afford.

Panthers are required to spend something like $60/70 million to get to the salary floor. They can afford anything they want.

Archived