• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm on the Derek Anderson bandwagon....

yes I am aware he is not very good.

But with Newton around we aren't going to sign a vet QB that really will separate himself from the pack. We can't fit the core, Newton, and a guy like Carson Palmer under the cap. It's not going to happen.

If we bring in a big name vet QB that is only a temporary solution that would result in losing a player that would be a long term answer. Anderson, Williams, even Johnson could be at risk. It might seem crazy to value a strong side backer over QB, but a placeholder QB isn't worth doo doo. I'd rather keep a long term solution over a short term even if it was a guy on ST.

Anderson has experience in Chud's system which will be gold if the lockout keeps going. He's the only QB I am aware of that played under Chud while he was an OC.

He did have the best year of his career there which doesn't hurt.

We're going to invest way too much into Newton to go after a good vet QB.

Anderson is the best answer.

You have to bring in a solid vet that can play if necessary but know Newton is here to be our guy. That's not Derek Anderson...he reminds me of a Doug Johnson-type. We have plenty of cap to get a Hassleback, Alex Smith, Bulger, Tavaris Jackson, Bruce Gradkowski, Troy Smith all who have shown more potential as a solid career maybe late bloomer vet than Anderson imo.

Anderson might be the one QB who managed to play worse then Moore and Clausen.

There are QB options out there that wouldn't cost this team alot. (Collins, Gradkowski, Volek, Bulger)

I think what the FO is looking for, is a QB who can tutor but also consistenly assit in winning games. I don't see Anderson being that guy.

You have to bring in a solid vet that can play if necessary but know Newton is here to be our guy. That's not Derek Anderson...he reminds me of a Doug Johnson-type. We have plenty of cap to get a Hassleback, Alex Smith, Bulger, Tavaris Jackson, Bruce Gradkowski, Troy Smith all who have shown more potential as a solid career maybe late bloomer vet than Anderson imo.

Hasslelback is about one injury from the old folks home.

Alex Smith isn't even available and has more INTs then TD's.

Bulger might be a good fit. At least he went to ONE Pro Bowl.

Tavaris Jackson LMAO we could use A. Edwards and do better.

Gradkowski will not want come here. He is looking to start.

Troy Smith??? He has what 3 games experience on Newton. NO NO NO

Of all the names listed about you cannot give a justifiable reason over Derek Anderson. The guy went to the Pro Bowl in this same offense. Was it a fluke? IDK but what I do know other than Bulger (2004) and Hassleback (3x) none of the above names have been to the Pro Bowl

So if I had to choose, I would choose Anderson over Bulger because his Pro Bowl year will be with the same coach who got him the 1st one. I would choose Anderson over Hassleback because he has played in Chudz offense and Hassleback is one hit from putting Clausen in the game...

Hasslelback is about one injury from the old folks home.

Alex Smith isn't even available and has more INTs then TD's.

Bulger might be a good fit. At least he went to ONE Pro Bowl.

Tavaris Jackson LMAO we could use A. Edwards and do better.

Gradkowski will not want come here. He is looking to start.

Troy Smith??? He has what 3 games experience on Newton. NO NO NO

Of all the names listed about you cannot give a justifiable reason over Derek Anderson. The guy went to the Pro Bowl in this same offense. Was it a fluke? IDK but what I do know other than Bulger (2004) and Hassleback (3x) none of the above names have been to the Pro Bowl

So if I had to choose, I would choose Anderson over Bulger because his Pro Bowl year will be with the same coach who got him the 1st one. I would choose Anderson over Hassleback because he has played in Chudz offense and Hassleback is one hit from putting Clausen in the game...

I mean this is a good point, but I just feel there's still better options. I'm not looking for someone to compete with Newton, but for a veteran to help him out in as many ways as possible and I question if Anderson is capable when compared to someone old like Hasselback or Bulger. Plus, I trust Clausen to develop into a capable backup if I'm also trusting this Shula/Chud staff to develop Cam into our franchise catapulting QB. Therefore, I believe more of the factors on the side of a filler behind Clausen that's a vet, but still has potential additionally. This is why I wouldn't mind a Troy Smith or Gradkowski. They'll find someone to basically be there if Clausen doesn't succeed if he needs somehow to go in...In the end, this situation is'nt entirely important; so I don't mind what happens.

I mean this is a good point, but I just feel there's still better options. I'm not looking for someone to compete with Newton, but for a veteran to help him out in as many ways as possible and I question if Anderson is capable when compared to someone old like Hasselback or Bulger. Plus, I trust Clausen to develop into a capable backup if I'm also trusting this Shula/Chud staff to develop Cam into our franchise catapulting QB. Therefore, I believe more of the factors on the side of a filler behind Clausen that's a vet, but still has potential additionally. This is why I wouldn't mind a Troy Smith or Gradkowski. They'll find someone to basically be there if Clausen doesn't succeed if he needs somehow to go in...In the end, this situation is'nt entirely important; so I don't mind what happens.

Anderson isn't going to compete with Newton, he is the only QB with experience under Chud. He could land a sweet gig here as a backup and extend his career substantially.

We're setting up our offense to take pressure off newton. We can do that under Anderson. He would lessen the impact of the lockout.

If given a choice, I'd take Jake back.

Yeah if we're going to bring in some busted down quarterback physically take snaps until Newton is absolutely ready, I would greatly prefer Jake over an other broken down guy out there. At least watching him and Cam on the sideline would be kind of funny. Derek Anderson is terrible and isn't going to impart any wisdom on the rookie. Maybe Jake could even get Clausen to not seem like a tremendous douche.

Yeah if we're going to bring in some busted down quarterback physically take snaps until Newton is absolutely ready, I would greatly prefer Jake over an other broken down guy out there. At least watching him and Cam on the sideline would be kind of funny. Derek Anderson is terrible and isn't going to impart any wisdom on the rookie. Maybe Jake could even get Clausen to not seem like a tremendous douche.

So you are of the belief that Anderson's Pro Bowl season was a fluke? It had nothing to do with the offense he was in?

Jake was a great QB for us. Did a lot of great things for us. Ran this team and a couple years carried us further than we should have ever gone.

But bringing Jake back to mentor Cam in an offense he is unfamiliar with is not very wise. Anderson or Volek would be my choice just because of the familiarity.

Archived