• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tender offers?

Mr. Scot

Based on Gantt's recent comments, it'd be no surprise to see the RFA and EFA tenders today.

(they'd have to be today or tomorrow anyway)

Restricted Free Agents

TE Jeff King: Established starter, not much of a receiving threat but occasionally contributes a catch; good blocker; beat writers have predicted a second round tender; originally a fifth round pick

DT Gary Gibson: Last year's undrafted surprise and preseason star; went to IR last season with an injured hand; might not draw much interest outside of the Panthers so could get the low tender

WR Jason Carter: Another preseason wonder who sat out due to injury; likely gets another chance to prove that he belongs

LB James Anderson: Arguably the biggest enigma as far as what to do; drafted in the third round in 2006 with high hopes but has yet to see much action outside of special teams; not likely anyone gives up a third rounder to get him

S Nate Salley: Originally selected one round after Anderson; typical Fox style DB (hard hitter, questionable in coverage); many thought he was gone last year but Fox likes his special teams ability

Exclusive Rights Free Agents

CB C J Wilson: Yasinskas thinks he'll be elevated to the nickel spot this year backfilling for Richard Marshall, who he expects to start in place of a released or traded Ken Lucas; will his offer reflect that or will it reflect that he's a seventh round pick in his third year?

DT Nick Hayden: Didn't look so good in late season relief work, but in fairness neither did Ryan Kalil the year before; sixth round pick who spent most of last year on PS; probably a low offer

DT J'Vonne Parker: late season pick up who played in more games his first two seasons than his last two; mostly a practice squad journeyman of late; likely a low offer

Basic infro from Andrew Mason over at Panthers.com: (link)

How do EFA's work anyway? I know its when a players contract expires when he has less then three acurred season but if they are tendered are they like RFA's where you get compensation if another team offers them a deal?

No other team can offer them a deal. Essentially, if you want them, they're yours. If you don't tender them, they're free to walk.

Since they don't have the tenure to be UFAs is it like waivers where teams have the priorities to sign them based on their finish the previous year? I can't remember.

Nope. They're free to negotiate with anyone, but the Panthers have rights to match or receive compensation (based on the level of the offer).

Am I the only one that is not that impressed by C.J. Wilson and worries about putting him in the nickel? He made a few nice special teams plays this year, but he did not impress me a whole lot during preseason, as I recall.

Perhaps my memory fails, though.

I remember seeing some good plays from him last season.

You sure about that? Thought it was what we tender them at ie second round tender second round pick.

He was asking what we'd get if we didn't give him one of the higher offers (first or second round tender).

Conventional wisdom has been he'll get the second round tender.

I remember seeing some good plays from him last season.

He was asking what we'd get if we didn't give him one of the higher offers (first or second round tender).

Conventional wisdom has been he'll get the second round tender.

Oh ok, was thinking you was saying we would get a fifth if we tendered him. :lol:

Archived