• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pats trade Cassel to Chiefs not Bucs

CarolinaPanthers8789

Okay I get it. Cassel has the same kind of problems that Thigpen has. That isn't my point though, this isn't about Cassel it is about Thigpen. I mean obviously Pioli and Haley took a long hard look at Thigpen, Stafford and Sanchez and ultimately decided that Cassel would be better. He does seem more accurate, but again I came here to warn you about Thigpen.

Maybe I went about this wrong. You know what? Thigpen will be awesome, please give us a draft pick for him. He will guide you to the superbowl under his precision-passing wing.

wow, I was just giving you a heads up on Cassel. Geez.

Got to love the Pats front office. When that list came out last week og teams with the lowest cap space, they were at the absolute bottom above us. Then they sign Fred Taylor and another I believe and make trades galore for picks. They are batty. But with Cassel off the books they save cap space for sure.

Don't look for us to copy that act.

Got to love the Pats front office. When that list came out last week og teams with the lowest cap space, they were at the absolute bottom above us. Then they sign Fred Taylor and another I believe and make trades galore for picks. They are batty. But with Cassel off the books they save cap space for sure.

Don't look for us to copy that act.

Agree 100%. Patriots still may make a move in FA with maybe a signing of T.J. Houshmandzadeh to take the place of Jabar Gaffney who left for Denver.

yea it does seem to be a I'll scratch your back, if you'll scratch mine situation.

i dont think it is like that....they turned down the 3rd overall because they know that means a huge contract to a unproven rookie and the pats cant afford that..it was a good business move they have a lot of good picks already

BUYER BEWARE FOR CHIEFS?

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 1, 2009, 10:01 a.m.

Weighing in on the New England Patriots’ high-profile trade of quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs, Ron Borges of the Boston Herald opines that Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli should be wary of the deal he struck with former colleague Bill Belichick.

Per Borges, Cassel might wind up being the next Scott Mitchell while noting that the Patriots created $17.85 million in salary-cap space by unloading Cassel, their franchise player, and Vrabel. He called the deal a “steal for Belichick.”

“I look at Cassel and I think Scott Mitchell,” an unnamed NFC executive told the Herald. “That’s who I see.”

Of course, Mitchell is the former Miami Dolphins quarterback signed by the Detroit Lions after a strong stint in 1993 as an injury replacement for Dan Marino. Mitchell went 27-28 as a starter in four seasons, losing both playoff starts for Detroit.

Quoting an anonymous person described as an NFL insider, the article concludes that this deal could wind up working in the Patriots’ favor eventually.

“Bill Belichick wouldn’t do his mother a favor,” the source told Borges. “Anybody who looks at this deal and thinks he did doesn’t know him. Or the guys he just traded.”

Archived