• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FA QB Upgrades

Proudiddy

Whether it be an upgrade over Jake or an upgrade over McCown or Moore... I found these blurbs from SI very interesting:

*• I'm somewhat surprised someone hasn't jumped on Pittsburgh's Byron Leftwich yet. I know the former Jaguars first-round pick is looking for an opportunity to compete for a starting opportunity, and those are few and far between in the league at the moment. But I thought Leftwich really played well for the Steelers when he had to last season and would have some early suitors in this market. I was looking at teams like the Jets, Bucs and maybe Lions to come after him. From what I understand, Leftwich was expecting some first-weekend interest as well.

*• My gut continues to tell me that Chris Simms will likely re-sign in Tennessee, where he believes he might be in position to backup Collins if the Titans ship the enigmatic Vince Young away. To repeat, Young is not a given to return to Tennessee in 2009, and Titans owner Bud Adams is no longer playing the role of protector for the team's 2006 first-round pick.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/27/signings/index.html?eref=si_nfl

I find the thing about Leftwich amazing... Many of us have mentioned how we thought he could be a great option, especially after Jake's meltdown in the playoffs. If the guy hasn't gotten any interest in the first weekend yet guys like Orlovsky are signing, well I think WE GOT TO MAKE AN OFFER. Let the guy come in and compete and may the best man win. Imagine what Smitty could do with this guys arm strength. The guy could be had for cheap.

A less likely option but extremely intriguing is that of Vince Young. I was a huge fan of his coming out of college, but seems he turned into a basketcase last year. If he could be had for cheap, I would love to try to acquire him as well. He could bring in what McCown offers, only more of it. He is a playmaker. It's hard to believe he has fallen this far in about 3 years time with as good as he looked his rookie year.

leftwich isn't that good. jake isn't great but he's better.

VY is too far gone. can't handle the pressure. cardiac cats would kill him or put him away in a padded cell.

You sure Jake is better Rayzor? I have always considered myself one of the most fair-minded fans when it came to Jake. When he's sucked, I called it. When he was good, I gave him his props. I always recognized him for his abilities regardless of his week to week performances.

That being said, I think Leftwich still has upside and is more naturally talented than Jake. Jake brings intangibles and good arm strength but his accuracy was even more suspect than usual last year. I've watched Leftwich and he's a really talented guy, and has yet to work with a receiver of the likes of Smitty. I think he could really utilize Jarrett too. Whether Jake is a starter or not, Leftwich is a guy I would like to have on our roster.

You sure Jake is better Rayzor? I have always considered myself one of the most fair-minded fans when it came to Jake. When he's sucked, I called it. When he was good, I gave him his props. I always recognized him for his abilities regardless of his week to week performances.

That being said, I think Leftwich still has upside and is more naturally talented than Jake. Jake brings intangibles and good arm strength but his accuracy was even more suspect than usual last year. I've watched Leftwich and he's a really talented guy, and has yet to work with a receiver of the likes of Smitty. I think he could really utilize Jarrett too. Whether Jake is a starter or not, Leftwich is a guy I would like to have on our roster.

If we were gonna get a Quarterback then we should have got CASSEL because he will end up having a good year, just watch, and he could have destroyed these NFC South Defenses.

If we were gonna get a Quarterback then we should have got CASSEL because he will end up having a good year, just watch, and he could have destroyed these NFC South Defenses.

I don't think that deal would've been worth it. Great for him if he has a good year in KC, but I didn't want our team to be the guinea pig for that experiment. He could either be what everyone in the media has made him out to be, or he could be another Scott Mitchell, A.J. Feeley, etc.

I think Cassel is a product of the system he was in, but I guess we'll see. Either way, Jake's implosion in the playoffs is what ended our season so we need to look for some competition to keep him on his toes.

And btw, I'm already on record as being a member of the Pat White bandwagon.

I don't think that deal would've been worth it. Great for him if he has a good year in KC, but I didn't want our team to be the guinea pig for that experiment. He could either be what everyone in the media has made him out to be, or he could be another Scott Mitchell, A.J. Feeley, etc.

I think Cassel is a product of the system he was in, but I guess we'll see. Either way, Jake's implosion in the playoffs is what ended our season so we need to look for some competition to keep him on his toes.

Yeah I can see where your coming from because if it turns out to be a bad deal then we lost Peppers, for nothing, and Foxxy gets blamed for it.

I'm still saying that Kyle Boller will be someone that the Panthers look at in Free Agency. I am not saying that I like him or anything but I do remember Fox and Hurney being high on him back before the 06 season before they eventually signed David Carr. They were trying to get someone in to behind Jake and eventual replacement and they were looking at trading for Boller.

Now a lot might have changed since then but hell, if they were high on McCown all these years, I don't see why they wouldn't still be high on Boller.

Now I know not everyone here likes Boller, some even compare him to Carr but I would take a risk on him.

Just my two cents.

Boller could be a viable option. He has all the physical tools - 4.61 40 yd dash, REALLY strong arm (I think he was the guy that threw about 70 yards or so off of his knees), and just overall athletic... But, his problem has been accuracy and reading defenses... very similar to the Gloved One.

Then again, what QB has made the Ravens offense look good? McNair and Flacco have simply managed it as they were asked. When compared to them, Boller hasn't looked so bad. I wouldn't be mad at the FO if we brought him in, but I favor Leftwich.

boller scares me. he isn't exactly screaming stable either (think back to late '05 when he was told he should be seeing a sports psychologist because of his inability to handle the pressure of being under center).

can we find a QB without emotional stability issues?

Archived