• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smith: New offense 'refreshing'

rayzor

Thats true. But imagine a #2 receiver as well to compliment smitty and olsen.....big things. I cant wait to see what olsen can do
we have young guys that will step up. until then, i expect to see shockey and olsen on the field at the same time. Olsen can line up wide, while shockey is in tight. We have many good options.

"The quarterbacks are doing what has not been done around here in a long time. The philosophy in years past has been not to screw it up," Smith said. "And here it's put your foot down on the gas pedal and go hard. So I like that."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/08/06/2510122/smith-happy-with-new-look.html#ixzz1ULoSeRUi

Surprised he did not asked to be traded sooner.

In Henning's defense, I don't think it was a feed the stud mentality. If you look at our offense the last time we had a solid group of receivers (Proehl, Moose and Smith in 2003), we actually spread the ball around quite a bit. We had 8 guys with double figure catches, and 4 with more than 25. On a run heavy team like we were, thats very good distribution. The problem in my opinion was that the coaching staff under Fox was terrible, both at drafting and developing receivers. Not one receiver ever drafted under the Fox regime ever developed into a reliable starter.

So in 2005, after Moose left and Proehl was getting to old, Henning had little choice but to feed the stud. In fact, it was amazing to me that we made it as far as we did, because we were a running team that couldn't run the ball that well, and our passing game had one legit threat. In reality, we won that year because our defense forced some turnovers at key points in the games.

I am glad that Smith is happy, but I truly hope the new Coaching staff can develope guys like Gettis into top notch receivers.

part of it i think was the fact that Williamson was terrible overall at developing receivers here once we switched from WC to Air Coryell. West Coast offenses anyway are receiver friendly. No receiver drafted in the Fox era and most of the guys we signed off of free agency didn't do anything. 2008's signing of Moose basically was an admittance of failure to replace him for 3 years.

But I never liked Henning's adaptation of the Air Coryell anyway. Way too unimaginative. Even in 2003 we were 16th in offense

part of it i think was the fact that Williamson was terrible overall at developing receivers here once we switched from WC to Air Coryell. West Coast offenses anyway are receiver friendly. No receiver drafted in the Fox era and most of the guys we signed off of free agency didn't do anything. 2008's signing of Moose basically was an admittance of failure to replace him for 3 years.

But I never liked Henning's adaptation of the Air Coryell anyway. Way too unimaginative. Even in 2003 we were 16th in offense

Yea, but you have to admit we did catch fire towards the end of that year, especially when Moose and Jake seem to get it together.

Fwiw, I am not sure if it was a problem developing receivers, or a problem picking them in the first place. Regardless, I just hope the new staff is an improvement.

Smitty will always be number 1 to me. I was watching the HOF ceremony yesterday trying to think of what his speech would be like should he be inducted. He's a pretty passionate and emotional guy so I'm sure it would be tear filled but I'll probably share them with him.

Archived