• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My observations that I haven't seen anyone post (yet)

Brokenbad

Here are a few of my observations:

(*Disclaimer* I know it is preseason and what we saw last night has a lot of stipulations around it. I am just stating what I saw and liked in this particular preseason game.)

1. Thomas Williams was all over the field. He reminded me of James Anderson before he Anderson became a starter. He blitzed well, was in on many tackles, and did an overall good job. If Williams sees the field in the regular season I think he may become a very good player. Led the night with 7 tackles and one sack but also had several good pressures on the QB.

2. Jordan Senn looked stout. He was stopping runners and looked solid.

3. The entire team as a whole looked more competetive and seemed to always be in good positions to make plays on offense or stop plays on defense. I know the players have not had many practices under the new coaching staff, but they already looked more disciplined, knowledgeable, and competitive than they have in years. I believe Rivera and Co. will bring out the very best in the players' talent.

4. My favorite part of the night! I noticed that when the QB's in particular were all on the sidelines, Shula was there with a notebook TEACHING every one of them. I can't ever recall seeing anything remotely close to this in the Fox era. Usually his players were just sitting on the metal bench with their heads down or standing up with their arms crossed looking at the scoreboard as if they could not wait for the game to end.

The fact the DEs did very little was on display by the number of times LBs were making plays along the line of scrimmage.

Maybe thats a sign that the DE's did a little more then you think. As long as they hold the line, our great group of LB's can run down hill and blow up plays.Thats what Rivera wanted and I saw alot of that Saturday and it made me very happy

Here are a few of my observations:

(*Disclaimer* I know it is preseason and what we saw last night has a lot of stipulations around it. I am just stating what I saw and liked in this particular preseason game.)

1. Thomas Williams was all over the field. He reminded me of James Anderson before he Anderson became a starter. He blitzed well, was in on many tackles, and did an overall good job. If Williams sees the field in the regular season I think he may become a very good player. Led the night with 7 tackles and one sack but also had several good pressures on the QB.

2. Jordan Senn looked stout. He was stopping runners and looked solid.

3. The entire team as a whole looked more competetive and seemed to always be in good positions to make plays on offense or stop plays on defense. I know the players have not had many practices under the new coaching staff, but they already looked more disciplined, knowledgeable, and competitive than they have in years. I believe Rivera and Co. will bring out the very best in the players' talent.

4. My favorite part of the night! I noticed that when the QB's in particular were all on the sidelines, Shula was there with a notebook TEACHING every one of them. I can't ever recall seeing anything remotely close to this in the Fox era. Usually his players were just sitting on the metal bench with their heads down or standing up with their arms crossed looking at the scoreboard as if they could not wait for the game to end.

Some people say coaching doesn't make a difference at the pro level...they would be wrong

I would expect no less with Chud and Rivera just coaching under on of the best offensive "teachers" in the game.

You mean Norv ?

For Chud I 100% agree. Norv is arguably the best OC in the league. If Chud becomes 66% of Norv we have a keeper.

One of the things that impressed me the most was how clean this game was, until late in the 4th quarter anyway. Even with all the OTA's they usually get, that 1st preseason game tends to be a sloppy affair with lots of yellow flags flying. Both teams did a pretty good job in that regard.

The fact the DEs did very little was on display by the number of times LBs were making plays along the line of scrimmage. Not necessarily a good thing.

Just a little concerned about the 1-13 third down conversions...

I agree, but remember this was the first time we've run this offense in a game.

I agree with most of that, but I think people are overhyping(if you can do that with a 3rd stringer) him. Yeh he had 8 tackles and his run support was good. But 3-4 of the tackles that he had were bc the man he was supposed to be covering burned him and caught the ball, and he was the closest one for a tackle.

Archived