• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why does God have to "work in mysterious ways"?

Brokenbad

I don't understand it for real.

My wife's dad died in his forties.

He died a very slow and painful death, which at one point he had both of his legs amputated.

I cannot believe to describe how unfair I think this was to everyone who knew her dad.

Her dad was young, and had so much to offer everyone he loved.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, and he never had the pleasure of meeting his grandaughter and grandson.

The thing that confuses me the most is that seventy-year old hags are regulary "healed" and jump out of their wheelchairs at church to run laps around the pews a few times.

Why did they get to live a long life and see their grandchildren and great-grandchildren?

What good does it do some old bat to be able to walk again when she is bound to die soon?

Why did my wife's dad have to suffer, and miss out on the two little cherubs he has as grandchildren?

"The Lord works in mysterious ways" and in no way am I trying to doubt God.

I just wish someone could tell me how it makes any sense.

You want answers humans simply don't have, despite what any of them will tell you or try and convince you otherwise. All I can say is hopefully one day we will find out why and much more.

Yeah don't bother thinking about it...

come on

OP, God doesn't make people suffer life does. Just because someone dies doesn't mean we should begrudge those old ladies their walking. I will say that this faith healing thing you mention is something I am utterly skeptical about though. I think it is a carnival trick.

Ok no one has the answer for the meaning of life, my opinion is death, we all live to die. There's no way to prevent it yet soo many people are scared to die. Maybe God saw the suffering in your father-in-law and decided it was time to bring him home, somewhere filled with positivity (idk if this is a real word) rather than this tormented negative world we live in. Yea it sucks that your children will never know your father-in-law for the man he was, but remember he knows them, he gets to watch them grow and progress through life, just not in a physical aspect. Theres a reason for everything.

2 words.

Free Will!

We are all free to choose the path we follow. Just as it random who gets sick and who doesn't. The only thing I can think of, is that it's not God's Will that a baby is born with a birth defect. Or juvenile diabetes. Or that a baby is born already hooked on Meth, or cocaine just because the mom is an f'ing idiot?

Or that people like Bernie Madoff will live to a ripe old age in a cushy jail cell, while people who he fleeced will scrape to get by.

It's not fair when people buy a million dollar home on Lake Norman, but has a tax value of $300,000! While someone who bought a $100,000 home has a tax value of $120,000!

Is it fair that players from Marshall University or University of Evansville die in a plane crash?

I have always said that if God has a plan for me, that he let me in on it once in a while!

God doesn't make things happen. Sometimes they just happen. We may not like it, it may not be fair. But no one ever said life is fair!

For over 10 years I was a devote Buddhist. One thing it taught me was that all you can do in life, is to be the best person you can be. Do the best you can do. And learn life's lesson that you are supposed to learn. Only then, you will reach Nirvana and sit at the side of the lord!

It's all random man. My grandmother is going through something very similar. Granted, she has lived a LONG life to this point (she's damn near 90), but she had one of her legs taken a few months ago. There is no rhyme or reason. Life isn't fair, so douchebags run rampant, living long healthy lives while good people die and suffer every day. I find the god aspect in all of this very sickening, assuming he is real. And, by the evidence provided in this world, as George Carlin said, "maybe he doesn't give a poo."

Bad things happen to everybody. It is just sad when good people have to go through it. I hate to hear it for your father-in-law and your family. It isn't something pleasant and there are no answers. The best we can do is keep these people in our memories and try to remind people like your children who will never meet them that he was a good man and that he would have loved them very much.

I don't believe in any god or afterlife, but I hope it is true in the sense that we all get reunited in the end.

Archived