• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I was wrong

The Saltman

So what your saying is, maybe it's not always best to send a jailbreak blitz on every 3rd and long?

No. Way.

Yeah, agreed that McDermott has a great defensive mind, but he's still needs time at this. Wouldn't mind seeing Rivera get more involved until McDermott has some more experience.

About cam being ready. I'm so pumped right now.

If only we had a defense then we might start winning some games.

Found this quote from Ryan Kalil and thought it was worth sharing. Sorry if already posted in one of the million Cam threads. I picked this one:

"One of the best things that ever happened for us was [quarterback] Andrew Luck staying at Stanford," Carolina center Ryan Kalil said in a phone interview Monday. "Because if we did it over again and both those guys came out, I'd take Cam every time. I think he's a special athlete. He's rare."

I thought this was a great quote from a phone interview today. He obviously didn't have to mention Luck, but he did and this to me just reinforces the respect Cam has already earned from his teammates. And the respect of the O-line will hopefully keep him upright most of the time.

Article:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-farmer-cam-newton-20110913,0,6606507.column

well i guess it's a great thing that i like attacking zone blitz 4-3s over boring 4 man rush uncreative read and react cover/tampa 2 like we've played prior to this year under meeks

Now this is a friendly and reasonable post. We simply like different styles of defense.

Meek's Tampa-2 was a defense that I loved once our players became comfortable with the system. Overthrows on deep passes started producing INTs by our safeties, and shorter passes were resulting in recievers getting nailed, and the potential was there for fumbles. That excited me, and I wasn't worried about that defense giving up huge plays.

As for our current defense, I'm sure you realize that just because I don't prefer this style, it doesn't mean I hate it. I like it just fine, and I have a feeling things will improve as the season moves along.

I'm all in for this defense. I'm hoping to see some violence delt out to Rogers.

interesting to note the last time mcdermott's defense faced off against rodgers it was his last game in philly. maybe he's got a little chip on his shoulder for this one, and even if we can't win the game (most likely won't), it'll be fun to see the same guy that's burning us get knocked on his ass more than several times by our linemen at least.

interesting to note the last time mcdermott's defense faced off against rodgers it was his last game in philly. maybe he's got a little chip on his shoulder for this one, and even if we can't win the game (most likely won't), it'll be fun to see the same guy that's burning us get knocked on his ass more than several times by our linemen at least.

I'm not really expecting our defense to be at 100% until at least mid-season, so we might have more costly mistakes against GB. What I want is our blitzes to get to Rogers, and CJ and Hardy as well.

Found this quote from Ryan Kalil and thought it was worth sharing. Sorry if already posted in one of the million Cam threads. I picked this one:

I thought this was a great quote from a phone interview today. He obviously didn't have to mention Luck, but he did and this to me just reinforces the respect Cam has already earned from his teammates. And the respect of the O-line will hopefully keep him upright most of the time.

Article:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-farmer-cam-newton-20110913,0,6606507.column

great read. thoroughly impressed with it, esp. this...

Kalil said Newton has impressed teammates with how quickly he has picked up a complicated offense, and he's not permitted to wear a play list on his arm because it's too much of a crutch.

"He comes into the huddle and he's calling out these long plays, he's making decisions, he's audibling things, he's doing stuff that's in the book that they want him to do," the center said. "He obviously makes mistakes, as everybody does, but he's such a competitor and he wants to do so well. It's inspiring."

:eek:

About cam being ready. I'm so pumped right now.

If only we had a defense then we might start winning some games.

You live your life on the extremes, don't you?

If you're "so pumped right now" after one game, are you going to flip 180 if he looks like poo against the Packers?

Some folks are way too reactionary.

Cam has potential. He has the tools to be great. Nearly every one has always known that. That's all the first game proved, not that he "has arrived", as the media brainwash impressionable minds like yours into believing.

It's a work in progress. Cam responds well to critics, but he does it silently, through his play on the field. Always has. That's an intangible. Doubters to Cam are like hair to Samson. My question is how will he respond to success, and praise, if he keeps playing well. We shall see. The good thing is, there's never been a "black" NFL QB who's never not had more vocal critics, and doubters always out there, even if they've enjoyed huge success, so maybe he'll always have that motivation.

The one that persists, if you're interested Cam, is "**Mobile** QBs like Newton never win a Super Bowl, ever". Hear that one on the radio all the time, as if it "never will" happen one day. The recalcitrants feel like they have a jewel in that line, so you've got a lot of work to do. "Mobile" is code for "black". Aaron Rodgers is "mobile", and clearly evades the rush better than Cam did Week One, and can pick up first downs with his legs too. He's not run-first, and just because Cam was in college, never meant he had to be.

But, still, it's a work in progress. Wait and see.

Archived