• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Props to Hurney

CanadianCat

i like it.

my goal is to work smarter, not harder.

good thing about us having the cap situation we do is it forces us to shop smarter. the more money you have, the more likely you are to waste it.

good for him and the panthers. the man knows where to shop.

i like it.

my goal is to work smarter, not harder.

good thing about us having the cap situation we do is it forces us to shop smarter. the more money you have, the more likely you are to waste it. good for him and the panthers. the man knows where to shop.

lol at that...the thing about players like that they have higher bust rate

we haven't drafted small-school much since Bushofsky left. We picked Bernadeau out of Bentley, but not much in the years before that until 2002 (Wesley out of AK-Pine Bluff, Campion out of North Dakota St, Franklin out of LA-Lafayette). 2002 and before, we did a lot - Rashard Anderson was out of Jackson St, Leander Jordan out of Indiana of PA, Gillis Wilson out of Southern, Roberg out of Idaho, Booth out of James Madison, Robert Daniel out of NW LA. Tons.

And since that first Fox Hurney draft of 2002, hardly any small-school.

There are some good athletic backup OL prospects (i.e., raw enough to still be there after we pick both a DE, DT, and a CB) and I think a lot of Sidbury at end, but I wouldn't expect a ton of small-school in this draft.

We're digging deep for a reason.

Not that we shouldn't ever, but there seems to be an extra emphasis on looking for a diamond in the ruff this year.(obvious desperation) But smart anyway.

I'm pretty sure they're looking for those guys every year. They have never made it a secret that they want to build through the draft, so nothing has changed in that regard.

lol at that...the thing about players like that they have higher bust rate

much cheaper and can usually be had as really late rounders or UDFAs. plus early draft picks, especially what we have been known to do with the 2nd round, busts are much easier to be found than successes....at a much higher price tag.

the way we do free agency his a low risk, decent/high reward philosophy that did pretty well for us in the past. makes sense that we would try the same approach with the draft and UDFAs.

not saying that we should use early draft picks on these small school guys and i don't think the insinuation was ever made. we just need to do the most work at investigating these guys to find the next ARC. we are going to have to find that diamond in the rough but, considering how few our needs are, they will pretty much just be depth anyway.

Archived