• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Meriweather fined $20k

Stumpy

Per PFT...

Meriweather was fined the 20 grand for a helmet-to-helmet hit against the Panthers on Sunday.

So since the NFL fines players after reviewing the plays, why don't the refs get fined as well?

I understand that we don't know what kind of discipline the refs get behind the scenes. But, I think that is part of the problem.

With so much emphasis on concussions, there should be some form of formal discipline for officials who miss calls on blatant player safety issues.

Not to mention, if he had been flagged for one of his many illegal hits, that could have turned the tide in what was a very close game.

As a Saints fan ( and over all NFL fan ) the officiating this year has been horrible. The NFL has to do something soon. Make these guys full time employees ( OTAs etc ) and hold them accountable. Everyone knows the NFL can afford to do so.

oh and enough with the huddle AFTER a flag...you threw a flag because you saw something. Dont let the others talk you out of it.

Refs do get disciplined. Maybe not fined, because they make little money, but they do get disciplined. I heard on the radio that the "tuck rule" ref (I think it was Walt Coleman?) and his crew have not refereed a Raiders game since that game. And I don't think Hockulee does Chargers or Broncos games anymore either.

After rewatching the game, I notice that's all he does. He comes flying in head first on a lot of plays after they're over.

Yeah, I pointed that out in another thread. He was a split second away from going helmet to helmet on Shockey and Newton. That kid is trying to knock people out, making a tackle is secondary in his mind.

Refs do get disciplined. Maybe not fined, because they make little money, but they do get disciplined. I heard on the radio that the "tuck rule" ref (I think it was Walt Coleman?) and his crew have not refereed a Raiders game since that game. And I don't think Hockulee does Chargers or Broncos games anymore either.

That has more to do with the safety of the officials than discipline.

I bet Ed would need a lot of security in Denver.

Archived