• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Harbaugh>Rivera

jramsey4

It's a valid discussion. I loved the Rivera hire, but Harbaugh was my first choice and he hasn't had the mistakes that Rivera has this season.

Also, we have to take into account that Harbaugh is still working with a relatively healthy team (especially on defense), and Rivera is not, but still you have to wonder if refusing to even consider him is going to cost us down the road.

No, we have to take into account that Hurney didn't really focus much on the defense in the offseason other than resigning players, and it's showing, even though everyone in their right mind knew there was very little chance Thomas Davis would make it through the season.

Everyone in their right mind also knew that Captain Munnerlyn and Chris Gamble will bet beaten A LOT MORE than than they'll do anything good.

The defensive woes were to be expected. They sucked on defense last year, because just like last year, they could never get a stop when they needed one. Other teams just didn't need to try to outscore the Panthers, so other teams didn't score a whole lot last season, which made it look like the defense was better than it was.

That's what I take into account.

No, we have to take into account that Hurney didn't really focus much on the defense in the offseason other than resigning players, and it's showing, even though everyone in their right mind knew there was very little chance Thomas Davis would make it through the season.

Everyone in their right mind also knew that Captain Munnerlyn and Chris Gamble will bet beaten A LOT MORE than than they'll do anything good.

The defensive woes were to be expected. They sucked on defense last year, because just like last year, they could never get a stop when they needed one. Other teams just didn't need to try to outscore the Panthers, so other teams didn't score a whole lot last season, which made it look like the defense was better than it was.

That's what I take into account.

Munnerlyn, AND ESPECIALLY GAMBLE, are the least of our problems defensively. You could line up Night Train Lane and Jack Tatum's corpse's back there if we had any presence on the interior line and starter-quality LBs.

It starts with pressure on the front 7, and we have none. Outside of Ike Taylor, who is/has been the starter while he's been there opposite him in Pittsburgh? Who's the starting CBs for the Ravens? How many guys went through the Philly system as starting CBs and sucked elsewhere?

Gamble is a good CB. Munny and Butler are good in their own right... We have 3 good players out of 7 in front of them, so our defense sucks.

But, your point remains that it falls on Hurney for not addressing the DT position (aside from one scrub signing - I'm not a fan of the Ron Edwards move) and neglecting LB depth as well (wasted pick on LB from UCONN, signed re-hashes from elsewhere).

Harbaugh definitely gets the nod right now as, outside of having the balls to draft/start Newton, Rivera hasn't shown much of anything.

That said, pretending Harbaugh doesn't have much more to work with is ignorant and bordering on stupid.

Jim Harbaugh = trying to win every week. (short-term oriented)

Ron Rivera = trying to build for the future. (long-term oriented)

Winning in the future isn't guaranteed, so why focus on that? As a way to "cope" with losing now, of course. That goes for Rivera and Huddlers.

wins are wins. there's no difference from trying to win now or later, as long as you win. the point is invalid.

LOL. That is probably the absolute biggest piece of garbage of rationalizing I've ever read.

Rooted in Ron Rivera's comments over and over again about "getting better" and "when we finally figure this thing out" and "growing". Rivera's more visionary than specific. He's trying to "build something", and if he wins, all the better, but if he loses, it's still a "victory" if you're getting better for the future.

"Rationalizing"? I'm putting down Rivera's approach, duh.

Harbaugh knows what he wants to do. Rivera hopes that it all comes together. That's the difference right now. One is a rookie head coach. The other one isn't, and no, the league doesn't matter.

Archived