• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

what should we expect from a Meeks DL?

rayzor

mr. scot,

how different do you think it will look?

i'm expecting it to be a good bit different based on what the players who have spoken out about it have said. i do believe that beason is expecting closer to a tampa2 even though he hasn't said that.

i agree that it likely won't look like indy but part of that has to do with the caliber of talent we have compared to what he had there.

mr. scot,

how different do you think it will look?

i'm expecting it to be a good bit different based on what the players who have spoken out about it have said. i do believe that beason is expecting closer to a tampa2 even though he hasn't said that.

i agree that it likely won't look like indy but part of that has to do with the caliber of talent we have compared to what he had there.

I don't necessarily think Tampa 2 more than Cover 2, but I do take more clues from the old Tampa lineup than I do from the Colts.

Back in their heyday, the Tampa DL looked like this:

Pass Rushing DE (Simeon Rice)

Every Down DT (Warren Sapp)

Run Stuffing DT (Anthony McFarland)

Solid Complimentary DE (Greg Spires)

You can see a similar layout in the old Panther line:

Pass Rushing DE (Julius Peppers)

Every Down DT (Kris Jenkins)

Run Stuffing DT (Brentson Buckner)

Solid Complimentary DE (Mike Rucker)

Should he stay, Peppers would function in the Simeon Rice role. If not, a suitable replacement will be found.

Kemo plays the run stuffing role McFarland played, rotating with Lewis on passing downs.

Charles Johnson likely slips into the Greg Spires/Mike Rucker spot, sometimes spelled by Tyler Brayton who would serve the same functions Al Wallace once did.

The key component we're missing right now is that every down DT to be what Warren Sapp and Kris Jenkins once were.

As it stand now, that means if Peppers leaves we need to fill two roles rather than one. That's why I'd prefer to see Peppers traded for a Shaun Rogers style DT. That way, while we lose one role player, we get another in return.

I don't necessarily think Tampa 2 more than Cover 2, but I do take more clues from the old Tampa lineup than I do from the Colts.

Should he stay, Peppers would function in the Simeon Rice role. If not, a suitable replacement will be found.

Kemo plays the run stuffing role McFarland played, rotating with Lewis on passing downs.

Charles Johnson likely slips into the Greg Spires/Mike Rucker spot, sometimes spelled by Tyler Brayton who would serve the same functions Al Wallace once did.

The key component we're missing right now is that every down DT to be what Warren Sapp and Kris Jenkins once were.

As it stand now, that means if Peppers leaves we need to fill two roles rather than one. That's why I'd prefer to see Peppers traded for a Shaun Rogers style DT. That way, while we lose one role player, we get another in return.

makes sense. even the shaun rogers part.

anyway, that was kind of what i was thinking.

what i had in mind was have the DTs be more run stop focused and the DEs be pass rush focused but have people in either position that could rotate in for situational stuff.

btw...i like the brayton/wallace comment. i hadn't thought of that but i can see it.

its going to make it worse covering the TE we already had probs with the TE..but a weakness withe the cover 2 is covering the TE and if kellen stays healthy we will get burned..

i think we'd be better able to handle the TE. it is no secret that covering the TE has been a major weakness for us and there is no doubt that bringing winslow in was meant to exploit that weakness.

if meeks can get the LBs and DBs to react like he wants them to, like piranhas, then we should be able to contain the TE. he'll still get receptions but i don't think the YAC will be much at all. plus, we'll have more people in the backfield watching him.

if connor gets the job at sam then our chances improve more. winslow will be a threat but i know they will be able to contain it.

anyway, who is the bucs QB going to be? until they have someone...i don't really see anything they do as something to fear.

Any research on how that would affect our rushing D? Aside from NO our other two division opponents are run first teams.

With our Dt's being so good at stopping the run when healthy, we shouldn't have a problem, we also have an outstanding lb core as well. So we should do well against the run as well. The biggest question mark for me is who starts at de if peppers leaves and how is our pass rush going to be. Johnson is one starter, but I don't think Brayton fits the Tampa 2 DE, he would serve well on pass downs at DT though, or run downs at de. I just don't think he's a good enough pass rusher to start at DE in a Tampa 2 defense.

Good comparison. The only part I question is your assesment on Charles Johnson and Tylor Brayton. While Johnson wouldn't fit that Rice/Peppers mold as far as size I see him becoming a force and think he could take over Peppers spot. Brayton on the other hand I think is what Rucker was. People do not give him the credit he deserves as a pass rusher. It is true that he doesn't rack up that many sacks but to say he doesn't get pressure isn't true. Most games this past season Brayton was able to get into the backfield more often than Peppers.

From my knowledge, which is limited, the Tampa 2/Cover 2 relies more on forcing the QB into making quicker decisions than it does on actually hitting the QB like say the Giants defense does.

What should we EXPECT? A better defensive scheme then we've used as of late, and better all-around play from the players in both attitude and action.

What will we GET? Only time will tell.

It's as generic as that because this isn't the Colts. He has to work with what he has here. Let's hope he can work with what he has rather beautifully and hope nobody steps on his toes.

Well said.

I am very excited about Meeks. We are not the Colts, but regarding the defense thats a good thing. The Colts studs are Freeny and Sanders. Similar to us, the Colts have had issues with thier D-line. With Davis, Beason,Harris, Gamble..he has a lot to work with and I think our defense will be much improved. If we can get some decent beef up on that front line from the draft- watch out !!

Good comparison. The only part I question is your assesment on Charles Johnson and Tylor Brayton. While Johnson wouldn't fit that Rice/Peppers mold as far as size I see him becoming a force and think he could take over Peppers spot. Brayton on the other hand I think is what Rucker was. People do not give him the credit he deserves as a pass rusher. It is true that he doesn't rack up that many sacks but to say he doesn't get pressure isn't true. Most games this past season Brayton was able to get into the backfield more often than Peppers.

From my knowledge, which is limited, the Tampa 2/Cover 2 relies more on forcing the QB into making quicker decisions than it does on actually hitting the QB like say the Giants defense does.

Johnson is, I think, potentially better than Greg Spires, maybe even Mike Rucker.

But that word potential is a big one.

Johnson is, I think, potentially better than Greg Spires, maybe even Mike Rucker.

But that word potential is a big one.

Very true. Johnson is really a question mark and all of what I said about him is based on potential.

Brayton however is a solid DE and very comparable to Rucker IMO. Again, I don't think he gets the credit he deserves as a pass rusher just because the sack numbers don't reflect it.

Archived