• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Way Things are Looking...

Catalyst

Our best bet as far as value goes will be to take Michael Floyd or the best available OT in the 1st round. I know our needs are mostly defensive, but let's take a look at them along with the available players:

OLB: Vontaze Burfict's stock is dropping pretty steadily and he may not be a good fit at weakside OLB. Zach Brown would be a reach, though is still a possibility. I'm not sure he's THAT much better than an OLB we could get in the 2nd like Travis Lewis or Chase Thomas, TBH.

DT: No real standout prospects in this class. Brandon Thompson is probably the best, but he, Ta'amu, & Worthy are all pretty average pospects at a position we've already got 2 young players at. As a prospect, I actually liked Terrell McClain better than I do any of this year's 1st round prospects.

CB: With Butler playing well and Gamble back in top form, not to mention Hogan coming soon, I honestly don't see this as a big enough need to use a 1st rounder on. On top of that, the only corner I think is a good enough cover guy to warrant a 1st round pick is Janoris Jenkins, who comes with some baggage.

Which brings us to the two other areas of need:

OT: Obviously a need with Otah looking to be on his way out. There are several very solid tackle prospects this year even if D.J. Fluker returns to school, which I expect he will. But again, unless Riley Reiff or Jonathan Martin are sitting there, we could probably get much better value in the 2nd with Andrew Datko or someone projected around that point.

WR: It's unlikely Blackmon or Jeffery will be there when we pick, but Michael Floyd is projected as a mid-round pick by most and we do have a need at the position. The more tape I watch on this guy, the more I like him - better than Jeffery, actually. He's faster, quicker, more agile, and an aggressive blocker in the run game. My only question is whether or not he can be an elite receiver at the NFL level rather than a good #2/borderline #1.

While defense is our biggest need, it seems like the BPA's might be offensive guys. Even if we trade down that could be the case.

Definitely agree with you my dude. People that dont pay much attention to the draft will continue to shoot this down tho and say go defense, but its all about value you like you said. Unless we go on a tremendous win streak toward the end of the season WR and OT will be the best value when we pick. I beginning to think we need more vets with experience at those positions on defense anyway rather than new inexperience. Gotta be aggressive in free agency next year.

I agree. The only defensive player i'll take if he's available is Claiborne. He looks like the total package. Paired up with Gamble we might be able to get a few coverage sacks. OLB is too early to take, assuming we have a top 15 pick and there's some pretty good depth. No one is worth it at DT to warrant a top 15.

The problem is that we haven't been able to see what Gettis can do in this offense. Floyd is an inticing WR but is he really going to be able to take over for Smitty? You also have the problem of Gettis rarely seeing the field if we pick up Floyd. I wouldn't like that with his speed in this vertical offense. OT would be a great pick. But I think I would like a combo guard better in the second that can kick out to tackle once the inevitable happens to Otah. There's also good OL depth.

If the Coaching staff believes Gettis can come back and be healthy then we may be alright. I like Morris Claiborne, I think he will be a solid CB in the league maybe an Antino Cromartie like. But if we are picking in the top 10 that's to early for him because i don't see him as good as Patrick Peterson. Also patrick peterson wuold be a better safety then CB in the NFL.

So I think our best bet maybe a WR, OT, and maybe a CB.

Our best bet is to try to trade down. I would love an elite player but would rather have 3-4 solid players that will contribute in positions of need.

I agree, but this will be easier if we're picking the top 10; after that, not so much. If we end up in the 11-20 range, I would be happy with us swapping a #1 pick with someone in the lower portion of the 1st round for a 3rd rounder and a later round pick.

Our best bet as far as value goes will be to take Michael Floyd or the best available OT in the 1st round. I know our needs are mostly defensive, but let's take a look at them along with the available players:

OLB: Vontaze Burfict's stock is dropping pretty steadily and he may not be a good fit at weakside OLB. Zach Brown would be a reach, though is still a possibility. I'm not sure he's THAT much better than an OLB we could get in the 2nd like Travis Lewis or Chase Thomas, TBH.

DT: No real standout prospects in this class. Brandon Thompson is probably the best, but he, Ta'amu, & Worthy are all pretty average pospects at a position we've already got 2 young players at. As a prospect, I actually liked Terrell McClain better than I do any of this year's 1st round prospects.

CB: With Butler playing well and Gamble back in top form, not to mention Hogan coming soon, I honestly don't see this as a big enough need to use a 1st rounder on. On top of that, the only corner I think is a good enough cover guy to warrant a 1st round pick is Janoris Jenkins, who comes with some baggage.

Which brings us to the two other areas of need:

OT: Obviously a need with Otah looking to be on his way out. There are several very solid tackle prospects this year even if D.J. Fluker returns to school, which I expect he will. But again, unless Riley Reiff or Jonathan Martin are sitting there, we could probably get much better value in the 2nd with Andrew Datko or someone projected around that point.

WR: It's unlikely Blackmon or Jeffery will be there when we pick, but Michael Floyd is projected as a mid-round pick by most and we do have a need at the position. The more tape I watch on this guy, the more I like him - better than Jeffery, actually. He's faster, quicker, more agile, and an aggressive blocker in the run game. My only question is whether or not he can be an elite receiver at the NFL level rather than a good #2/borderline #1.

While defense is our biggest need, it seems like the BPA's might be offensive guys. Even if we trade down that could be the case.

Great post, and I agree with just about everything you wrote. The higher value will be on the offensive players in the upcoming draft IMO and if we're in the top 10, and can't trade back, we may not have a choice but to go BPA on the offensive side of the ball.

Regarding Floyd, I like him but the big question mark is going to be the character issues. It appears he's had some DUI trouble within the last few years and I wonder if Rivera and/or the organization would take a chance on a player with that history. For Rivera, it could be a repeat of Vincent Jackson in SD. I also think we got decent depth @ WR with LaFell coming on as of late and Gettis coming back. The coaching staff may want to develop these guys before exploring any potential starters unless they're just that good IMO.

hmmmm

replace one pro OT with injury history with a college OT with injury history

hmmmm

Agreed. Another thing to keep in mind is that Otah is set to make $1MM in the final year of his contract in 2012. That's a bargain for a RT of his caliber. I don't see Otah going anywhere until then. Most likely the team will give him one last opportunity to prove himself healthy and ready to regain his form from a few years back and evaluate whether it would be wise to offer him an extension. However, it wouldn't suprise me if we draft an OL as a backup plan and for depth.

hmmmm

Well replacing Jarrett with Armanti was pretty good, wasn't it?

Anyways I'd say we're a top 14 pick. Assuming we don't trade down:

Morris Claiborne, CB

Zach Brown, OLB

Brando Thompson, DT

I've watched some highlights/lowlights of both Zach Brown and Vontaze Burfict and, TBH, I'm not impressed. They look solid, but nothing worth spending a top-15 pick on, IMO. If we trade down, sure, but not in the top 10-15.

CB is the wild card here; how does Butler continue to play? What does Hogan look like? Do we plan on re-signing Captain Munnerlyn when his deal is up? In any event, I wouldn't be opposed to taking Claiborn, but he strikes me as more of a big-play DeAngelo Hall type corner and I'd much rather have a true cover corner. On top of that, I'm just not convinced CB is a big enough need in the 1st.

Our best bet would be if Riley Reiff somehow slips to our pick. He'd be a great pick in the 9-15 range, but there's no guarantee he'll be available. The good news is he's the 3rd rated OT right now behind Matt Kalil & Jonathan Martin, so unless 3 OT's go before we pick we could have a legit shot at him.

Of course, the wild card there is Jeff Otah - and Byron Bell. They could be reluctant to take a RT in the top-15 with a former 1st rounder still on the roster in Otah and a guy the coaching staff is clearly very high on in Bell.

Ugh. Why can't there be a can't-miss LB/DT projected to go 10-15?

Archived