• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we don't hear about players visiting charlotte...

rayzor

Good god, who f'n CARES? "OMGZ blahblahblahhhhhhhhhhhh visited here!!!". I can't believe the FO thinks headgames by keeping info like that hush hush (from other teams, mind you) actually matters, nor can I understand why fans get wet in the panties when they hear that some jackass DE from Sam Houston Central Tech State came in for a damn visit. People need to go out and get lives, and the FO needs to stop acting like mind games are so important (i.e. smoke screens). Field the damn team, and WIN...that's all you need to do. If your guy you wanted to draft isn't there when we're on the clock, have a damn back up plan.

Fans, just watch the draft. I prooooomise you we'll draft players and ::gasp:: then you'll know who's on our beloved team.

Just PM me your phone number and I'll try to get the Panthers to personally call you and give you their preferences for the draft, I wouldn't want you to be left out. They do what they do and I approve of it. That you call me ridiculous because of it is what's ludicrous...

Just PM me your phone number and I'll try to get the Panthers to personally call you and give you their preferences for the draft, I wouldn't want you to be left out. They do what they do and I approve of it. That you call me ridiculous because of it is what's ludicrous...

PM me that number... The Panthers only call 2AM on Sunday mornings.

I hear ya. And feel the same way when you say, "Fans, just watch the draft. I prooooomise you we'll draft players and ::gasp::" lol

However, as stated earlier, there is a process that goes on in business. In the football business, you have 30 players allowed to visit a draft (which I didn't know before Fireball mentioned it. thanks.) so therefore, you would want to keep that under wraps. It's not like you bring in a 100 and have a watered down list for other teams to look at. The other point to that was also mentioned, where the Saints picked up a player right before us because it was speculated that we were targeting that player. Even if we weren't targeting him, the fact that the Saints jumped right before us is a move that took more out of them and draft picks than they would have given up.

I'm glad the FO keeps tight wraps on this stuff. And I don't feel sorry for fans who are so naive to think the FO MUST deliver news during the offseason.

If it were my ship, I would go so far as to swear secrecy and only allow a few people know anything. Peppers, Gross, whoever, fug you (noone in particular), you don't need to know poo. I don't care if the entire league was pursuing Peppers, you would never know and would assume noone is, because that's how tight lipped I would keep things. But I'm not in that position so oh well. :)

Also, notice the heads in this thread and the ones in the Peppers fiasco bitching about everything. Weird how different it looks, huh?

That's just the thing though...every team will have their list of who they want and lots of teams' lists will be similar. We shouldn't take it personally when a team like the Saints drafts the guy we wanted before us and should never see it as "stealing". To think a team would intentionally draft a player they know we want, JUST so we can't have him borders on lunacy IMO. Like I said, have backups and don't be scared to mention who's in town (if you want). I'm sure whoever WE draft, teams after us will be like, "crap, we wanted him!". It's just the way it works. It almost feels like high school drama: oooh I'm not telling who visited us!! It gives us an advantage!! :lol:

This makes no sense. I don't need to know who we're interested in. I don't care. I'll watch the draft, then research the player afterward. For those of you who just HAVE to keep track of where are coaches are visiting, and who's visiting here, great...that's your deal. But for you to think it serves an advantage to keep hush hush, like the Panthers are the smartest team in the NFL where they and they alone know the truth about the DE from Missouri Tech Southwest A&M is silly. All the teams know basically the same stuff going into the draft, it's their jobs to know it. Have your list, and when it's your turn to pick...draft. Simple as that. No need to get all CIA during the summer.

Hidden

That's just the thing though...every team will have their list of who they want and lots of teams' lists will be similar. We shouldn't take it personally when a team like the Saints drafts the guy we wanted before us and should never see it as "stealing". To think a team would intentionally draft a player they know we want, JUST so we can't have him borders on lunacy IMO. Like I said, have backups and don't be scared to mention who's in town (if you want). I'm sure whoever WE draft, teams after us will be like, "crap, we wanted him!". It's just the way it works. It almost feels like high school drama: oooh I'm not telling who visited us!! It gives us an advantage!! :lol:

Well you are entitled to think that, for sure. But that year it was true. This year it may not be, just another draft year... :lol:

Does this have anything to do with my criticism for you other thread?...

This makes no sense. I don't need to know who we're interested in. I don't care. I'll watch the draft, then research the player afterward. For those of you who just HAVE to keep track of where are coaches are visiting, and who's visiting here, great...that's your deal. But for you to think it serves an advantage to keep hush hush, like the Panthers are the smartest team in the NFL where they and they alone know the truth about the DE from Missouri Tech Southwest A&M is silly. All the teams know basically the same stuff going into the draft, it's their jobs to know it. Have your list, and when it's your turn to pick...draft. Simple as that. No need to get all CIA during the summer.

I stood down from your last reply and the heinous mispelling that was a part of it. Let's call the whole thing off... :lol:

Good point. Just as all Poker players know the same stuff going into a game as well, and the one with the best bluff, best play of the hand/slight of the hand if you will........will come out on top. That is the object of going into something with knowledge, yet being even, or having an advantage at the same time. All in how you perceive it.

I prefer not giving anything away, not a player, not a desire, not even how or when I will arrive the day that it really matters.

Do the "have ta do's" per requirement, but other than that, they don't need to know what color the panties are I'll be celebrating with after I've accomplished my desired goals, nor who shall be wearing them(or not.... as it may).

Biz iz biz, and it tiz az it tiz.

Get used to it.:coolgleamA:

What advantage could it possibly bring for a team to advertise which players are getting serious consideration? Having said that, draft day is a "that's the way the chips fall" type day. What is really amazing to me is the extent folks allow themselves to get wrapped up in the speculation and criticism before the moves are made. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt anyone here is disappointed with the moves made last year that produced Stewart and Otah. That was some great development work IMO. This year the stakes are different and the situation is much more complicated. Personally, I'm glad no major moves have been made before draft day. No trades or acquisitions that have happened up to now in this league have been realistic possibilities or pressing needs for this team.

Couple a things...

First off, the head games that we fans see are nothing compared to the head games that go on behind the scenes, out of our sight. If you ever read any of the 'behind the scenes' stuff about the draft process, you'll see it can be pretty crazy. Misinformation flies like crazy, and it does indeed affect things.

Quick example: Back in 96, the 49ers had a tip that the Panthers wanted Marc Edwards (Notre Dame FB). They were interested in him too, so when our pick got close, they traded to get ahead of us and take him, giving up some lower round picks in the process.

When the pick came round, the Panthers drafted the guy they actually had targeted, a fellow by the name of Mike Minter.

No biggie for us, but the 49ers gave up picks for nothing. And the picks? Minter had a long, successful career while Edwards had a few flashes but was never anything special.

But imagine for a moment that another team who needed a safety had known the Panthers had Minter in their sights. That story could have had a whole different ending.

The draft has occasionally been referred to as the biggest high stakes poker game in the world, and with good reason. So yes, the headgames are necessary, and what we see of it is only a fraction.

And I'd add that it can be entertaining...

Witness the hissy fit thrown by various ESPN commentators who last year bit on the line Hurney was putting out making it seem like we were going to trade up to get Matt Ryan.

Local columnists just went "yeah,right" but ESPN (notably John Clayton and Chris Mortensen) went for it hook, line and sinker. As a result, they had to do some major face saving when it didn't happen (mostly by bashing the Panthers) :lol:

One thing for certain: I'd never join in a poker game with Marty Hurney. Say what you want about him, but the man can bluff with the best of 'em.

Even more comedic: Cowboys owner (and world class attention *****) Jerry Jones allowing cameras in the Cowboys war room a few years back. Those camera wound up broadcasting a picture of the Dallas draft board for all the world (and league) to see. Word was that then coach Bill Parcells was furious :lol:

Archived