• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we don't hear about players visiting charlotte...

rayzor

from darin gantt a couple days ago...

Top secret: Panthers keep draft plans under wraps

CHARLOTTE -- There's a reason you don't often hear about the Panthers conducting predraft visits, and it's not completely because they're so good at keeping secrets.

In fact, team officials discontinued the practice four seasons ago, worried that too much information was getting out.

Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman raised the issue during a radio interview last week, including the Panthers on a list of teams he was visiting. But a Panthers spokesman said last week — general manager Marty Hurney has gone into radio-silence mode — that the team's policy hasn't changed, and it was more likely an on-campus visit with Panthers scouts or coaches if it was happening.

These days, word gets out on nearly every prospect trip, partly because their agents know they can tap into the fertile Internet to spread the news about their clients and drum up interest. And while it's often used for misinformation purposes, you can often gauge a team's interest by looking at who visited. It was that way in 2005, when three of the Panthers' first four picks were guys who visited the facility before the draft.

But it was another visit that spring which might have helped end the process.

Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell made a trip to Charlotte. The problem was, not everyone in the building knew he was there. One team official initially and emphatically denied that Campbell was coming at all, before sheepishly realizing that he had in fact been there.

Perhaps it's a coincidence, but after that lapse in communication, the practice ended.

The Panthers' top officials have taken on a more aggressive travel schedule since, increasing their presence on the March pro-day circuit. Look at nearly any group photo from such on-campus workouts, and you'll see either Hurney, college scouting boss Don Gregory or coach John Fox. Often on those trips, they'll meet with players they're interested in, rather than bringing them to Charlotte.

the reason that we don't hear a lot form the panthers is that they DO NOT WANT INFORMATION GETTING OUT.

They don't want their opponents finding out what they are doing so they don't talk to anyone. Fans lose out in the short term because they don't get the scoop on what their team is doing but this is how they do business and it works for them.

any player or coach that goes blabbing about what the team is thinking will probably not be there for long. to avoid this, the organization probably doesn't let a lot of people in on their game plan, players or otherwise.

just because we don't hear that anything is going on doesn't mean that nothing is. just because we aren't finding out about something that is going on doesn't mean that they are trying to keep it from us, they are trying to keep it from their opponents.

sooo...who has a list of who these guys have been seeing? that's likely the only way we are going to have a clue about who they are looking at. other than that, it's all going to be a bunch of uneducated guessing which is how the team wants it to be.

I agree with that stance and think it is the best policy for the team. Hurney is always active on draft day and this Peppers thing will work its way out eventually....with him in another uniform or holding out.

It is just so much more fun when a Gruden type cannot shut the frack up. Foxie and Huney have a good thing going with this even though off seasons are hard to get excited for here.

from darin gantt a couple days ago...the reason that we don't hear a lot form the panthers is that they DO NOT WANT INFORMATION GETTING OUT.

They don't want their opponents finding out what they are doing so they don't talk to anyone. Fans lose out in the short term because they don't get the scoop on what their team is doing but this is how they do business and it works for them.

any player or coach that goes blabbing about what the team is thinking will probably not be there for long. to avoid this, the organization probably doesn't let a lot of people in on their game plan, players or otherwise.

I remember a couple of years ago, New Orleans trading into the spot right in front of us to grab the player we were rumored to want. Keeping plans under wraps is good policy despite our thirst for Panther knowledge...

There are TONS out there that will never understand this, and the reason is, they are more a "fan" of a movement, or team, than actually understanding the "going's on" of a professional sport they say they love so much.

Just like people love to complain about politics, religion, and tons of other subjects they really have no clue what it really all involves.

I like what they do.

quarterback Jason Campbell made a trip to Charlotte

OMGZ!!!!111!!! ITIMPLIEDINTEHPAPERZTHATCampbell's going to get traded here!!!111!!!!1

See how rumors get started? ;)

I actually find it a bit over the top (and possibly lacking in due diligence) not to have ANY players visit Charlotte. They are allowed 30/draft I believe. Obviously they must be afraid of the loose lips within their own ship leaking more detailed info, because the press is going to be able to report the Cats' presence at the on campus visits. But it's their business. Better too cautious in some circumstances.

Good god, who f'n CARES? "OMGZ blahblahblahhhhhhhhhhhh visited here!!!". I can't believe the FO thinks headgames by keeping info like that hush hush (from other teams, mind you) actually matters, nor can I understand why fans get wet in the panties when they hear that some jackass DE from Sam Houston Central Tech State came in for a damn visit. People need to go out and get lives, and the FO needs to stop acting like mind games are so important (i.e. smoke screens). Field the damn team, and WIN...that's all you need to do. If your guy you wanted to draft isn't there when we're on the clock, have a damn back up plan.

Fans, just watch the draft. I prooooomise you we'll draft players and ::gasp:: then you'll know who's on our beloved team.

Good god, who f'n CARES? "OMGZ blahblahblahhhhhhhhhhhh visited here!!!". I can't believe the FO thinks headgames by keeping info like that hush hush (from other teams, mind you) actually matters, nor can I understand why fans get wet in the panties when they hear that some jackass DE from Sam Houston Central Tech State came in for a damn visit. People need to go out and get lives, and the FO needs to stop acting like mind games are so important (i.e. smoke screens). Field the damn team, and WIN...that's all you need to do. If your guy you wanted to draft isn't there when we're on the clock, have a damn back up plan.

Fans, just watch the draft. I prooooomise you we'll draft players and ::gasp:: then you'll know who's on our beloved team.

I hear ya. And feel the same way when you say, "Fans, just watch the draft. I prooooomise you we'll draft players and ::gasp::" lol

However, as stated earlier, there is a process that goes on in business. In the football business, you have 30 players allowed to visit a draft (which I didn't know before Fireball mentioned it. thanks.) so therefore, you would want to keep that under wraps. It's not like you bring in a 100 and have a watered down list for other teams to look at. The other point to that was also mentioned, where the Saints picked up a player right before us because it was speculated that we were targeting that player. Even if we weren't targeting him, the fact that the Saints jumped right before us is a move that took more out of them and draft picks than they would have given up.

I'm glad the FO keeps tight wraps on this stuff. And I don't feel sorry for fans who are so naive to think the FO MUST deliver news during the offseason.

If it were my ship, I would go so far as to swear secrecy and only allow a few people know anything. Peppers, Gross, whoever, fug you (noone in particular), you don't need to know poo. I don't care if the entire league was pursuing Peppers, you would never know and would assume noone is, because that's how tight lipped I would keep things. But I'm not in that position so oh well. :)

Also, notice the heads in this thread and the ones in the Peppers fiasco bitching about everything. Weird how different it looks, huh?

Archived