• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Private workout for Hakeem Nicks

Mr. Scot

I think Tate has the potential to be a very good #1 receiver. Nicks would be a better fit and value for a team that needs a WR to make an impact right away. IMO Tate will have a better NFL career than Nicks though I don't expect him to do much at all his first 2 years. But he has tremendous upside and made huge strides from his junior to senior year before being injured. He's reported to be a 3rd-4th round pick and I'll be overjoyed if we can get him late 4th.

Tate brings immediate value as a returner regardless of his play at WR.

Tate brings immediate value as a returner regardless of his play at WR.

True, I was speaking just about his value as a WR. Looking at him as somewhat of a long term project doesn't bother me though. We don't need immediate help at WR anyway. We could easily put him on returns for his first couple of years before using him as a full time WR. Worked for Smitty anyway :D

Let's get one thing straight...Hakeem Nicks is a better WR than Tate. why is this even being discussed?

because there is no way on earth that hicks is going to fall to us?

because there is no way on earth that we should trade up in the first to get him or any WR.

because we have more of a realistic chance of getting tate.

because tate would fit into plans better.

you want more reasons why tate is being discussed more than nicks?

they are just talking about someone we have a chance to get and who would/ have been a 2nd or maybe even first rounder had he not been injured last year.

Tate could very well end up a better pro than Nicks as well.

Easily.

Exactly. Tate made some big improvements his senior year before being injured. Sure, Nicks is better ... today. When it's all said and done I think Tate will have the better overall career. Though it'll be awhile before that's going to be settled.

What plans would Tate fit? Ryne Robinson is a better returner, Moose and Jarrett are pretty much secure where they are, Smith...well need I say anything about Steve Smith? Where in our roster does another WR slot in? as a 4th to 5th WR? I'd rather use that pick and bolster our D, and pick up a WR as a 5th to 7th round pick. Anything earlier is a wasted pick

What plans would Tate fit? Ryne Robinson is a better returner, Moose and Jarrett are pretty much secure where they are, Smith...well need I say anything about Steve Smith? Where in our roster does another WR slot in? as a 4th to 5th WR? I'd rather use that pick and bolster our D, and pick up a WR as a 5th to 7th round pick. Anything earlier is a wasted pick

This is exactly why Tates DOES fit better with our team. We don't need a WR to make an impact right away, so spending a high pick on a guy like Nicks would be a waste. Makes more sense to get a guy like Tate that may eventually be just as good (or even better) but is available in the later rounds because of injury and won't be doing much for his first year or two.

Also, we don't have a 7th rounder and using a 4th on a WR while still using the 2nd and 3rd for our D isn't unreasonable. Really once you get to the later rounds its mostly about BPA.

In no way should we trade up to get Nicks. I don't even think we should take him in the 2nd round. The kid is ok, but I doubt he will be a stud in this league. I wouldn't be opposed to taking Tate in a late round. He's proven he is explosive in the return game, and if he turns out to be better than Robinson that'd be great. Special Teams is indeed a glaring weakness for us. It'd be nice to have an explosive guy in the return game.

Let's get one thing straight...Hakeem Nicks is a better WR than Tate. why is this even being discussed?

Tate is the better receiver over Nicks, period. If Tate had not been injured Nicks wouldn't have been in a position to step up and have one great year. Tate is just better...

I think many Carolina fans would acknowledge before Tate's injury, Tate was on the same or higher level than Nicks. He was finally coming into his own a receiver in 2008(the first time as a #1 or #2 rcvr) as he snatched 16 passes for 376 yards (23.5 avg) and three touchdowns, adding 143 yards and a score on 11 reverses (13.0 avg) in 5 games. Despite missing the final seven games, he ranked second on the team with 982 all-purpose yards, and if he had qualified (did not have the minimum touches) his average of 163.67 all-purpose yards per game would have ranked 11th in the nation and lead the ACC.

I think it should be noted that the present staple of our franchise (Smitty) was once a great punt returner and not necessarily considered a great receiver. And Brandon just happens to be coming from Butch Davis- who happened to produce 2 all time great receivers that sufferered a tough injury (Irvin and R Wayne).

I'm certainly not saying he is better than Nicks- If anything you could say without a doubt he is 100% better in the open field than Nicks. I do think there is potential here- and you could do a lot worse with a 5th or 6th round pick. I mean he was 304 yards shy of the NCAA record for kickoff return yardage.

For some reason, I just always sort of assumed the Panthers would snag him, especially if he falls past the 4th round.

Tate in the 5th or 6th?

Only if he goes on TV and eats a litter of kittens while simaltaniously sexually accosting Roger Goodell's wife and doing bong hits out of Mother Teresa's skull.

MMMMmmmm... kittens....

Oh, and Tate is slated as a 3rd-4th rounder, so even getting him late 4th is somewhat of a longshot. I just hope that if he does drop to us there we take him. The chances of him being there in the 5th or 6th are practically zero.

Archived