• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dante Rosario

uptowndlo34

So....tell me what you guys think about Dante. After that great game against San Diego, I was expecting him to step up and be a hybrid Wesley Walls type of TE. But after that game, he did virtually nothing....How do you think he will do this year, and do you think he will ever amount to anything more than a "reserve?"

Jake threw it to Smitty and Moose very evenly last year, more myths please.

...not a myth at all.it looks even on paper because jake would threw it to moose in lots of short routs when they shut smith down..but most of the time he throws to smith even when someone else open.

..fixed it for Brandon

That is at least more plausible but going around saying he only throws to Smith is disingenuous at best.

...not a myth at all.it looks even on paper because jake would threw it to moose in lots of short routs when they shut smith down..but most of the time he throws to smith even when someone else open.

You don't get 14ypc on dump off routes as a WR, especially not as a slow one. It's easy for you to claim that he only forced throws to him but Smith has proven time and time again that even with one or two people on him he's not fully covered.

Last year Wisenhunt directed Warner to "force" more throws to Fitzgerald even though he might be covered and we see how that works out. Players who fight for the ball like Smith and Fitz do are a lot less risky of throws in coverage than you think. The problem was more in Jake's inconsistent arm strength.

Barnidge and Rasario have alot of upside but both were raw last year. IMO Jeff King is our most complete TE as of now. I hope Jakes new QB coach will work on him spreading the ball around more and helping him with some touch this season. Something he did not have last year at all.

IMO, a big reason Rosario didn't get more targets is that Jake simply doesn't trust him enough. Brandon already mentioned that he tended to make some fundamental errors, but he also dropped some balls that he should have caught...a couple in key situations. Big catches look good and can become water cooler talk, but sometimes in-game drops may slip from our memory as the game wears on, yet it's those drops the QB is going to remember when he needs to find someone to dump off to. If Rosario wants to be more involved, he needs to improve the consistency of his hands.

With that said, I think he is in a losing battle here anyway. I believe Barnidge is already a more skilled receiver, and his blocking is fundamentally fine. His problems were that he needed to get stronger and was too light to anchor when blocking. However, with a year under his belt and a complete off-season program to bulk up, I think Barnidge will surpass Rosario on the depth chart.

IMO, a big reason Rosario didn't get more targets is that Jake simply doesn't trust him enough. Brandon already mentioned that he tended to make some fundamental errors, but he also dropped some balls that he should have caught...a couple in key situations. Big catches look good and can become water cooler talk, but sometimes in-game drops may slip from our memory as the game wears on, yet it's those drops the QB is going to remember when he needs to find someone to dump off to. If Rosario wants to be more involved, he needs to improve the consistency of his hands.

With that said, I think he is in a losing battle here anyway. I believe Barnidge is already a more skilled receiver, and his blocking is fundamentally fine. His problems were that he needed to get stronger and was too light to anchor when blocking. However, with a year under his belt and a complete off-season program to bulk up, I think Barnidge will surpass Rosario on the depth chart.

I think you are right on about Rosario. I can remember at least 3 times last year that Jake threw him the ball and it bounced out of his hands and was intercepted. Other times he failed to fight for the ball or go up and just get it. One thing about Smith is that if he doesn't catch it, he tried to keep the other guy from getting it as well. Rosario failed to do that.

I think that if we draft a tight end this year it will be to replace Rosario not King or Barnidge. I think the whole team is waiting for Barnidge to break out this year. Rosario still has upside but his stock is going down.

Archived