• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pep vs. Otah: A hypothetical that begs the question.

top dawg

Since many of you complain about Pep's inability to get to the QB even if he isn't double teamed, should I assume that high caliber O-line players like Otah are not making the mark if they allow one with Pep's ability to get to the QB once or twice per game?

Will you turn on Otah with the speed and vitriolic tirades like you have done with Pep, and lambaste him for taking plays off, when it is obvious that he's one of the best in the game?

Otah allowed 5 sacks I believe. Not exactly once a game.

He also has a 5 year contract worth considerably less than what Pep is set to make this year alone.

Yes, this is just a hypothetical, but my contention is that Pep is arguably the best DE in the game, so if Otah can let lesser players get to Delhomme, what would he do against Pep (not to mention the hurries and Pep's ability to otherwise break down O-lines by clearing a path for someone else to get the sack)? Pep averaged nearly a sack per game against more experienced competition, and yet many hang him to the cross.

Like it or not, Pep has earned his money, or the FO wouldn't have put it out there. Otah will get his in time.

My point is that Pep is probably judged a bit too harshly, especially considering the body of work of his entire career.

My point is that Pep is probably judged a bit too harshly, especially considering the body of work of his entire career.

Well for me, it's a matter of what I think he should be doing based on his ability with what he actually does that is the rub.

He's got great ability, but doesn't always play like it IMO. If he did, he wouldn't have as many games where he was bested by backup OL players. Note I didn't say ALL games...I realize that even great players have off days or are bested on matchups at times or are so successfully gameplanned for that they are taken out of a game. With a guy like him, I expect to see more plays like those INTs he has had at times...game changing plays.

a guy like Pep should be able to work Otah on occasion on passing downs.....Otah excells more w/ run blocking. Otah did well giving up few sacks....I expect him to give up a few more than 5 next season b/c I hope he is on the field more.

Yes, this is just a hypothetical, but my contention is that Pep is arguably the best DE in the game, so if Otah can let lesser players get to Delhomme, what would he do against Pep (not to mention the hurries and Pep's ability to otherwise break down O-lines by clearing a path for someone else to get the sack)? Pep averaged nearly a sack per game against more experienced competition, and yet many hang him to the cross.

Like it or not, Pep has earned his money, or the FO wouldn't have put it out there. Otah will get his in time.

he was getting pushed around by rookies and 2nd and sometimes 3rd string OTs. a player of his caliber shouldn't be letting that happen and it shouldn't matter much against "more experienced competition".

i would like for him to play here up to his potential but he hasn't shown that he can live up to his potential. blaming it on something else other than him is a weak thing to do. he has been given every opportunity to be successful and has to a point. only thing that has really held him back is himself.

comparing him to otah...a rookie? c'mon. the guy has only played football for 5 years. to allow only 5 sacks being that raw? pretty impressive. it wasn't clady good but i'll take it for a rookie.

compare him with gross if you want but comparing with otah is weak sauce.

isn't that the criticism many have with supporting jake, that they are focusing too much on the body of his career rather than what he is doing now?

gross is the best. that is why he has the giant contract and that is why he is playing LT.

how many sacks did he allow last year playing the best DEs in the league (the RDEs)? 3

he has allowed only 3 sacks in 3 of his 6 years. he allowed 5 in 2 others and 7 in his sophomore effort. gross is the best OT we have.

did he make a big deal about getting moved around every year? he didn't like it but he went with it. could he have made a big deal about getting tagged? yes. he didn't like it but he went with it. did he pull his head out of his rump and decide to sign it. yes. he just wanted to play.

has he given us reason to lambaste him? no. has peppers? absolutely. his performance in '07 and the crap he is pulling now. if he pulls his head out of his butt and realizes that this situation is as good as any other out there for him or just decides that given the current situation that it may be best to follow the example of haynesworth and sign the tender under stipulations that he won't be tagged again if he reaches certain goals and then goes into an uncapped year...i will have very little problem with him.

Archived