• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen Hill

teeray

Completely agree with teeray. This kid is special. How often do you see a 6'5 215 wr run a 4.30? Almost never. I can't think of one in the history of the league not named randy moss. That said,he is not ready to start in this league. He is however ready to run the 9 route and catch the deep ball. His speed is something never seen in a panther uniform(offically). He instantly becomes the fastest player on the roster. With a big arm like cam this kid would be a godsend.

I know there are bigger needs but this is rare talent. Sure up the ol in free agency, take brockers in the first because there may not be another steven hill in a long time.

Completely agree with teeray. This kid is special. How often do you see a 6'5 215 wr run a 4.30? Almost never. I can't think of one in the history of the league not named randy moss. That said,he is not ready to start in this league. He is however ready to run the 9 route and catch the deep ball. His speed is something never seen in a panther uniform(offically). He instantly becomes the fastest player on the roster. With a big arm like cam this kid would be a godsend.

I know there are bigger needs but this is rare talent. Sure up the ol in free agency, take brockers in the first because there may not be another steven hill in a long time.

The Panthers have a high enough second round pick to maybe entice a team or two to swap a late first for the right price. If they wanted a "special" talent and feel he can be maybe what Drew Carter never panned out to be, all that speed and just Ok, but Drew never had Cam so who really knows?

I'm kinda in 55's mindset in that maybe we need to look at a Michael Bates type guy. A 2nd rounder since we don't have a 3rd. We need to solve this problem of not having a premier ST weapon since Smitty had those duties. People talk a lot about finding that Steve Smith replacement when ST made Smith who he is, a fearless player, those are rare in this day and age

I'd take such a player over AE right now. Is it Stephen Hill? I don't know but that's what we really need

Just a couple of things. There were only 5 WRs that ran a sub 4.40, not 10. Out of those 5 only one is taller than 6'0 and that was Stephen Hill. Not only is he 6'4 but he also recorded 39.5 vertical jump. That was good for 4th out of all the wide receivers. Out of the three ahead of him none were over 6'0 tall.

He was first in the broad jump at 11'1". No other WR was 4 inches of his jump. Neither of the other guys within half a foot of his broad jump were over 6'0 tall.

In other words, there aren't very many guys with his physical attributes in this draft or likely any other draft.

Obviously he isn't a perfect product or else he would be a slam dunk top 10 pick with those measurables. But lets not pretend there are going to be guys with similar athletic abilities in the 6th or 7th round.

A couple of things.

Stephen Hill's official time is 4.36 not 4.30.

You are right, receivers in positions five through 10 ran between 4.39 and 4.42. In that group Streeter has the same size and ran a 4.42. I would rather drop down 4 rounds and still pick up a guy who runs within a half a second of Hill's time.

No one is saying Hill isn't a good athlete and he definitely helped his draft status today. He might end up being a great receiver in the NFL or he might not. The issue of me is whether he is a must have kind of guy in the second round and does he bring skills to the table that we don't already have. And for me the answer to that question is no on both counts. Nothing in his history says he is a can't miss guy and we need guys who are steals in the draft whose stock fell for whatever reason, not guys who are rising in the draft because of a great combine. With David Gettis here already I don't see even breaking into the lineup this year. Gettis is 6'3", 217 lbs and ran a 4.43. Why would we draft a guy in the second when we alreadyy have that guy on the team. At least Streeter would be a much lower pick and thus a better value pick.

I would prefer a legitimate returner who could be a slot guy like Wylie because he will be a much lower pick and brings something unique to the table. Wylie looks more like a Steve Smith type of guy and could be had later in the draft. We will go defense in round 1 and 2.

His official time is a 4.36. How often do you see a guy who is his size run that fast. How about David Gettis who is 6'3" and ran a 4.36 as his best time 2 years ago. His official time was 4.43 averaging his high and low. Best of all we picked him up in the 6th round.

Honestly he brings little to the table we don't already have. Certainly nothing to reach for in the second round. His talent is not that rare.

We've got 2 attempts at "micheal bates" in armanti and pilaries. It's time i feel 2 try the big wr guy. He showcased great hands at the combine and i'm sure as teeray said he's a solid run blocker. We have david gettis who jumped up draft boards because of his combine time. He was projected undrafted before then. After a torn acl i'm not sure he retains that speed. Even if he does he could be on play away from going down again. Any wr not named steve smith,lafell,gettis could be cut.

His official time is a 4.36. How often do you see a guy who is his size run that fast. How about David Gettis who is 6'3" and ran a 4.36 as his best time 2 years ago. His official time was 4.43 averaging his high and low. Best of all we picked him up in the 6th round.

Honestly he brings little to the table we don't already have. Certainly nothing to reach for in the second round. His talent is not that rare.

I was just looking at the official 40 time numbers from the combine in 2010. The top ten WRs that year ranged from 4.28 to 4.49. David Gettis was not among those top ten.

Not sure where that 4.36 came from unless it was at his pro day in which there are no official times just each individual team times.

All I have seen is that he ran a 4.47 and a 4.49 unofficial times

ESPN has Gettis' official 40 time at the combine at 4.51

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/25384/david-gettis

I was just looking at the official 40 time numbers from the combine in 2010. The top ten WRs that year ranged from 4.35 to 4.48. David Gettis was not among those top ten.

Not sure where that 4.36 came from unless it was at his pro day in which there are no official times just each individual team times.

All I have seen is that he ran a 4.47 and a 4.49 unofficial times

ESPN has his official 40 time at the combine at 4.51

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/25384/david-gettis

From here:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56514&draftyear=2010&genpos=wr

Here are some more:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2010/draft/players/17864.html

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/baylor-draft-preview-jd-walton-david-get.html

Not sure where the 4.36 came from other than it is mentioned on the NFL draftscout site. His pro day time was a 4.39 and the official Combine time was a 4.43.

From here:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56514&draftyear=2010&genpos=wr

Here are some more:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2010/draft/players/17864.html

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/baylor-draft-preview-jd-walton-david-get.html

Not sure where the 4.36 came from other than it is mentioned on the NFL draftscout site. His pro day time was a 4.39 and the official Combine time was a 4.43.

There seems to be some discrepancy of what he ran at the combine because here is the official combine website with their top 10 performers year to year. For 2010 the top ten range from Jacoby Ford's 4.28 to Carlton Mitchell's 4.49. David Gettis does not appear in between those two.

ESPN had his official time at 4.51 but I can't find any time at all from the official combine website (of course I may be just missing it in my search somehow).

However, I do seem to remember that he ran much better at his pro day and I think that 4.36 may have come from a report that the Panthers hand clocked him at that. Maybe that is where that number is coming from?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2010&workout=FORTY_YARD_DASH&position=WR

Archived