• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bobcats Rebrand Update Thread (Real Charlotte Fans-Censorship Free Edition)

Proudiddy

all i got out of that is you feel entitled to tell jordan to spend millions of dollars rebranding because you bought some 10$ tickets to see the bobcats

entitlement is rarely recognized by those that feel entitled

you come across as a 13 year old that expects to be paid for doing chores when you already have a roof over your head and food on your plate

Jordan is going to do what Jordan wants to do if it makes sense $ wise and he thinks it will put more @$$es in seats and it's what the majority wants he will do it. The guy is losing $20 million a year because nobody's going to the games, now you can rebrand and start over but you need a good product on the court too.

Sure, I think the hornet's name is cool. I also associate the name with a team that abandoned the city.

Like I said earlier, I am all for having us renamed the hornets if it means we don't have to keep hearing people talk about it. All I care about is that Charlotte has an NBA team that I can go pull for and watch on tv.

I don't think the Hornets garner up bad memories. :)

The former owner was a jerk and the city didn't want to support him and his interest. He refused to sell the team and that was that. It wasn't like the team attacked Charlotte and caused them harm and now the thought of Hornets makes them sad! haha

A lot of things happened around 1999 through 2001 that lead to the Hornets jetting. For one, and original arena referendum had failed and that sort of set everything off. The reason why the original vote failed was mainly because the vote was held immediately after the city had vetoed against raising the minimum wage. The living wages for city employees, in many people's opinion, was low. From a political perspective, I don't think you can tell people "we can't afford to pay you, but we'll spend tax money on an arena". Had the timing been different, I think the vote would have been different. Things just didn't fall into place.

It was also around this time that Johnson came into the picture... TWICE. The first time, in 1999, he tried to buy about 35% of the team, but Shinn instead sold that share to Ray Wooldridge. Later, before moving, Johnson tried one more to buy over 50% of the entire team with Jordan and control majority, when the city agreed to ignore the failed arena referendum and force it through, IF Shinn lost majority. Shinn shot down Bob's offer, and stayed majority owner, and that was the end of a new owner and possible new arena referendum.

Why did Shinn not take Bob's offer? I think it was due in large part to his newest partner, Woolridge. Woolridge wanted Shinn to play hardball with the city! I think Shinn, deep down, wanted to be more flexible but Woolridge really was the one who pushed Shinn to move the team. As much as Shinn's reputation had failed with Charlotte, I think he truly wanted to see things work out but Woolridge made it more about business -- which is what most owners would do. In fact, if you read Shinn's interview when the New Orleans Hornets were announced, you can see it was tough for him but pleasant for Ray.

All I am saying is, it wasn't like the Hornets were so hated and when they left it was joyful and that the name Hornets garners up painful memories! In fact, most people think of the "HIVE IS ALIVE" and the floating hornet blimp, and little Muggsy and a lot of fond memories are there.

I agree holding a grudge over a team name because of the race and heritage of the person who created is racist, its petty, its embarassing, and it reflects poorly on those folks and the city of Charlotte as a whole. It just shows the lengths people will go when they hate people they dont understand.

As usual, you are the ONLY who keeps bringing up and actually cares about the race of the owner. That is one of the biggest reasons that you are nothing more than comedy on this board.

We din't care about the race of a man......and that is ALL that you do care about.

If race was a big deal..corporate sponsorship wouldn't have doubled in Jordan's first two years as owner. Season tickets have also grown by roughly 75% since Jordan has been in charge...I would post the SBJ link..but this thread isn't about facts but merely opinions and agendas.

In fact, most people think of the "HIVE IS ALIVE" and the floating hornet blimp, and little Muggsy and a lot of fond memories are there.

I remember the buzzing sound (like a huge swarm of bees) when a big Hornets run forced the other team to call timeout. Gave me goosebumps every time.

And this... listen to the crowd and tell me Charlotte hated the Hornets

I think changing the brand is a good idea and much needed but I don't think going backwards to the Hornets is the way to go. Move forward, not back. Come up with something new.

But it won't matter unless they start putting a real NBA caliber team on the court. For the most part during this teams history it's been a complete joke and a poor excuse for an NBA franchise. If you don't change that no amount of pretty new jersies is going to help much.

Archived