• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Is The Worst Excuse You Have Ever Heard For An Injury At Work?

Brokenbad

I ask this because there is someone I work with who has a very strange excuse for why he cannot perform manual labor.

I do not know how familiar other may be with gaffing. Gaffing is climbing (in this case) a telephone pole with spikes at your feet. Gaffing requires very little arm or hand support because almost all of your weight is being supported by your cleats.

Well, everyone must qualify in gaffing to work for the company. This particular individual claims that he tore a ligament in his middle finger while he was gaffing, which is super weird because gaffing does not require grabbing anything at all with your hands. He claims the torn ligament runs all the way down to his elbow and that it cannot be repaired with any surgeries. He says that he cannot perform any manual labor due to his injury.

Am I the only one that finds this story quite a bit odd?

Working in an office environment I have learned that there are only two types of women in an office. The old ones that have $20K worth of HR-mandated ergonomic chairs, keyboards, backrests, etc. that constantly bitch about it, and the young ones that don't have it (yet) and bitch about the old ones who say they can't help move file boxes, etc.

So to all the carpal tunnel ladies out there, blow me.

I once saw a guy skate boarding at work in the work environment, fall, and break his elbow.

It surprised me when he claimed and got away with a work related slip and fall claim.

Your scenario does not sound surprising.

To make it worse, this bozo is convinced that the company is going to pay him a lump sum settlement for his "career-ending" injury. In his eyes, 20K is a fortune. He has said with that kind of money he would never have to work again.....smh.

Working in an office environment I have learned that there are only two types of women in an office. The old ones that have $20K worth of HR-mandated ergonomic chairs, keyboards, backrests, etc. that constantly bitch about it, and the young ones that don't have it (yet) and bitch about the old ones who say they can't help move file boxes, etc.

So to all the carpal tunnel ladies out there, blow me.

Misogynistic much?

I ask this because there is someone I work with who has a very strange excuse for why he cannot perform manual labor.

I do not know how familiar other may be with gaffing. Gaffing is climbing (in this case) a telephone pole with spikes at your feet. Gaffing requires very little arm or hand support because almost all of your weight is being supported by your cleats.

Well, everyone must qualify in gaffing to work for the company. This particular individual claims that he tore a ligament in his middle finger while he was gaffing, which is super weird because gaffing does not require grabbing anything at all with your hands. He claims the torn ligament runs all the way down to his elbow and that it cannot be repaired with any surgeries. He says that he cannot perform any manual labor due to his injury.

Am I the only one that finds this story quite a bit odd?

Then please explain how you hold onto the telephone pole as you climb up? You absolutley use your hands while gaffing. His injury sounds like it could easily be legit to me. My father did it for a living and had quite a few hand injuries that I remember.

Not a bad excuse per se but a fuging weird ass story...

This is going to sound pretty unbelievable but I assure you it is quite true and the NC Industrial Commission has extensive records of it.

Many years ago I took a job as a 2nd shift warehouse manager. I oversaw the loading of trucks for the next days deliveries. About 4 months in I get summoned to the owner’s office when I arrived for my evenings work. I go in to find him 2 lawyers and a very large woman - easily 350lbs.

I was informed that this woman was one of my employees who was returning from medical leave. She was to be given a job immediately and I had no say in the matter. Apparently she had been “injured” on the job a couple months before I had arrived and had been out collecting disability.

The next day I was given access to the files. It turns out that her injury was from breaking the toilet in the ladies room. She had sat down and somehow the toilet collapsed and she fell taking out the stall partition.

Then please explain how you hold onto the telephone pole as you climb up? You absolutley use your hands while gaffing. His injury sounds like it could easily be legit to me. My father did it for a living and had quite a few hand injuries that I remember.

In a work environment where more work than just climbing is required I could see injuries happening a lot. This was just practice and the technique we use to climb up required us to have our hands resting, relaxed on the pole. Our particular gaffing techniques and practices did not require us to grab anything. Our hands were used for balance.

I do agree with you that hand injuries would occur if more work was being done than what I was doing. For what I was doing though, an injury like the guy I am talking about does not make much sense. It makes even less sense that his tendon is not repairable and that a middle finger tendon ran all the way down to his elbow and tore their too,

Archived