• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Just Don't See Us Taking A Dt Or A Cb Today

teeray

What you call great, I'd call decent. It looked great in comparison because our return efforts have been of the purely awful variety recently.

He was ranked 20th in kick return yardage despite not getting the job until late in the season and averaged more yards per kick return than Devin Hester. Maybe great was too strong a word. How about really, really good

I hope Brandon Hogan can be a starter at CB, but there's no way as fans to know based on the playing time he got last year. Of course, Rivera and Co. know a lot more than we do about that. I'm on the Janoris Jenkins train if he makes it to the 40th pick.

Concerning WR, Gettis is coming off an injury, but he did produce and start over LaFell 2 years ago so he definitely has proven some worth and has untapped potential. As a fan, I know more about him than Brandon Hogan. That being said, WR is still an area where the Panthers could add.

I've personally moved on from Armanti Edwards (as I think the team) has, both as a receiver and a returner. He will still get a chance to prove something at TC, but I think there is a less than 10% chance he makes the team. And while the trade to get him ended up being bad, I personally think Lafell's development and Gettis' potential make up for that.

As O-line, I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers use the 2nd Round pick if they really like a guy, but I feel alright about the O-line going into this year. I still think Byron Bell could very well take over Wharton's spot and be the primary back-up for Otah. The guy we got from Oakland is Gross insurance, and we still have some decent depth. Hangartner can move to C, Garry Williams and Mike Pollack as backups at G, etc.

I think our next pick will be on the D-Line, just not sure if DE or DT. The Panthers will probably only keep 9 or 10 D-Linemen, so it will be interesting to see what the pick will be. I think Charles Johnson, Hardy, Applewhite, and Thomas Keiser will make the team at DE (Applewhite can also play LB), and McClain, Edwards, Fua, will make it at DT and maybe Jason Shirley. He played really well at the end of the year.

Someone posted we would go LB and 1 and 2, and at this point I don't think it is entirely out of the question considering the absolute lack of LB depth last year. Regardless of we as fans might think, I believe from Rivera's comments he believed our awful LB play killed the Panthers more than anything else last year. And if you watched the games, you know how demoralizing it was to continually give up 1st downs on 3rd and long b/c of underneath routes our LB's couldn't cover.

As a former LB, it had to drive Rivera crazy...

I just don't think you can pass on franchise offensive guard talent like Cordy Glenn or Amini Silatolu if available.

But do we still value mauling offensive linemen? Under Fox, big maulers like that would've been desired, but we're a much more passing oriented offense now and put a much higher value on pass protection. I haven't seen enough games of either to judge, but can they pass protect or are they just big maulers?

Trade down, pick up a third, and draft Brian Quick and Jayron Hosley.... Hosley would be great competition for his former teammate Brandon Hogan. Hosley could even be moved to FS, which I think he would shine... It was only 2 years ago that he lead the FBS in INT's. THen you get Brian Quick, a huge WR with great speed. This guy has natural talent, and will only get better.

• It all depends how Rivera has graded the talent we have coming back.In all interviews with coaches and Players when Otahs name comes up you get "we will see" which is about the response we received about TD. I think if Glenn falls we will grab him being he can plat RT and guard.If we dont take Jenkins I really do not see anyone better than what we have.Again at Receiver Smith is the only upgrade I see.I could see us taking a Curry to upgrade our pass rush.Bottom line either a DE or OL unless one of the others fall. I personally would trade up to get Glenn for a couple of later picks.

Guest Bwood

But do we still value mauling offensive linemen? Under Fox, big maulers like that would've been desired, but we're a much more passing oriented offense now and put a much higher value on pass protection. I haven't seen enough games of either to judge, but can they pass protect or are they just big maulers?

Well the way I look at is that we have Mike Pollack, and Geoff Hangartner as our starting OG's. Both are decent linemen, but could easily be upgraded. When you have a new QB like Newton, one of the top priorities should be protecting him. Our offensive line really isn't as up to par as some think, the only sure thing at this point is Ryan Kalil.

When you look at the prospects available, you have Cordy Glenn who was a solid guard in the SEC and then you have Amini Silatolu who is a bit of a smaller school prospect, but has been compared to recent OG prospect Mike Iupati. Glenn has more of the pass protection ability, and easily could slide to right tackle. While I see Silatolu as more of a run blocker.

Either of them would be immediate upgrades at offensive line. I think protecting Newton is essential to the future of this team, and it is a very big concern for our front office as they have shown interest in offensive linemen this year.

I will not be surprised at all when I hear either of these two names if available.

I don't have a problem taking a WR, but it needs to be the right one who can help us more than any defensive player on the board. Not a fan of Reuben Randle as we already have a guy just like him - probably better - in LaFell.

Stephen Hill is a guy I REALLY like a lot. He could be absolutely deadly in our offense with his size and speed. He may not be a big time impact player as a rookie, but long term I think he'd be at least a Torrey Smith style deep threat for us. He has the potential to be elite, though, so I'd have no problem taking him.

Mohamed Sanu... I'm 50/50 on him. I like him, but not enough to take over a defensive guy if one is there worth taking.

Alshon Jeffrey is about the same for me. He could be great, but he could be a bust. Not sure he's the best fit for our scheme, TBH.

I'd honestly rather take the best OL than a WR. Get a plug and play guard who can start day one and be a safe pick so we don't wind up missing in the 2nd again.

I bet one of those guys will be around. fuging Marty refuses to admit when he fugs up and probably won't pick either one.

One of them will be around...it's just a matter of marty pulling the trigger. Worthy tweeted about his visit with Carolina saying their not afraid to play a rookie and they love his game

Archived