• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have the 6th largest media market

dbeat

Charlotte, Triad, Columbia...no Triangle? Surely this is not accurate.

But that is impressive that we would have the 2nd largest market. Not completely clear how they calculate this...based on population only or are there other factors?

NC has some serious population density. It's the biggest market in the south without Raleigh-Durham, bigger than Dallas-Ft. Worth. NC is the most urban state in the SE behind Texas. When you add up all the people in Charlotte and the surrounding metro areas, you are getting into the 10 millions, include the Triangle and you are up there with NYC and Boston.

Pretty much people in this area watch A LOT of TV. They are in 8 million households, that might be even higher if we didn't have TWC monopolizing and refusing to carry NFLN.

In many ways we have a fan base that can afford to watch on TV, but not necessarily go to a game. Here, having a large market doesn't mean having the most LOVED team within a market. In NC the Panthers compete with 1) fans of other NFL teams (ATL, Dallas, Washington...) 2) College sports teams (esp. UNC), and 3) local teams (even High Schools are more popular than the Panthers in some rural areas).

In places like NYC, Chicago, or Boston, Pro sports is not overshadowed by College.

Every other source I find puts the Charlotte market in the 24/25 range. I just don't believe this blogger's way of creating his markets is in line with the way the media industry defines things.

Really? Panther crazy In Raleigh? Glad to hear it. Wish we could somehow quarantine Cowboy/Redskin/Steeler tards. NC would be a much better state.

Yeah most of the people I went to high school with and the people who I go to school with at Wake Tech like the panthers a lot. Im the only one who's fully nuts about the Panthers.

Yeah most of the people I went to high school with and the people who I go to school with at Wake Tech like the panthers a lot. Im the only one who's fully nuts about the Panthers.

Maybe there is hope after all.

Winning cures all. But our population consists of many, many hermits. I'm surprised at how many older folks have never been outside of NC, save for a few trips to Myrtle Beach. The people who live 10 miles from Charlotte and haven't been to Charlotte in decades really crack me up. I know many of them watch every game on TV but seeing a game live has never crossed their minds. Strange people......

this is a more accurate way to see our market rating

http://www.arbitron.com/home/mm001050.asp

we are 24th, which is good news but if you look at other cities we are not that big.

so yeah we are a small market.

Radio market? That went obsolete with the advent of satellite radio. Besides several of those markets listed ahead of us aren't NFL cities. LA, Puerto Rico, etc

Radio market? That went obsolete with the advent of satellite radio. Besides several of those markets listed ahead of us aren't NFL cities. LA, Puerto Rico, etc

Do I have to hit you with the stupid stick? The Arbritron ratings system the the one all broadcast media, and companies use for their marketing dollar usage, many companies will not advertise in a market below 25, it's just how marketing works. The fact that those are a break down according the radio is irrelevant because the Arbritron ranking is based solely on population, thus the only true showing of market size.

Read the freaking rankings and maybe you will learn a thing.

if you want to make another dumb comment though be my guest.

Archived