• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have the 6th largest media market

dbeat

This was posted on reddit recently, thought I'd share it here. Market size is determined within 75 miles of the team's stadium, the blackout zone.

Our market does not include the Triangle area. If you were to include it we would have the 2nd largest media market in the country. I found this pretty surprising.

1) New York Giants / Jets

TV Households (000s): 22421

New York, Hartford-New Haven1 , Wilkes-Barre--Scranton

2) Oakland Raiders / San Francisco 49ers

TV Households (000s): 10645

San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, Monterey-Salinas

3) Chicago Bears

TV Households (000s): 10606

Chicago, South Bend-Elkhart, Rockford

4) New England Patriots

TV Households (000s): 9684

Boston (Manchester), Hartford-New Haven1 , Providence-New Bedford, Springfield-Holyoke

5) Philadelphia Eagles

TV Households (000s): 8688

Philadelphia, Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York2

6) CAROLINA PANTHERS

TV Households (000s): 8152

Charlotte, Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson, Greensboro--High Point--Wiston-Salem, Columbia

7) Dallas Cowboys

TV Households (000s): 8071

Dallas-Fort Worth, Waco-Temple-Bryan, Sherman-Ada

8) Detroit Lions

TV Households (000s): 8032

Detroit, Flint-Saginaw-Bay City, Toledo, Lansing, Windsor

9) Atlanta Falcons

TV Households (000s): 6462

Atlanta, Macon

10) Houston Texans

TV Households (000s): 6452

Houston, Beaumont-Port Arthur

11) Washington Redskins

TV Households (000s): 5853

Washington (Hagerstown)

12) Miami Dolphins

TV Households (000s): 5722

Miami-Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce

13) Minnesota Vikings

TV Households (000s): 5073

Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Rochester-Mason City-Austin, Mankato

14) Cleveland Browns

TV Households (000s): 4794

Cleveland-Akron (Canton), Youngstown

15) Denver Broncos

TV Households (000s): 4727

Denver, Colorado Springs-Pueblo

16) Cincinnati Bengals

TV Households (000s): 4666

Cincinnati, Dayton, Lexington

17) Seattle Seahawks4

TV Households (000s): 4565

Seattle-Tacoma

18) Arizona Cardinals

TV Households (000s): 4438

Phoenix (Prescott)

19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

TV Households (000s): 4417

Tampa-Saint Petersburg (Sarasota), Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne3

20) Pittsburgh Steelers

TV Households (000s): 4396

Pittsburgh, Johnstown-Altoona-State College, Wheeling-Steubenville, Clarksburg-Weston

21) Baltimore Ravens

TV Households (000s): 4248

Baltimore, Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York2 , Salisbury

22) Green Bay Packers5

TV Households (000s): 4186

Milwaukee, Green Bay-Appleton, Madison

23) Saint Louis Rams

TV Households (000s): 3986

Saint Louis, Champaign-Springfield-Decatur

24) Jacksonville Jaguars

TV Households (000s): 3660

Jacksonville, Gainesville, Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne3

25) Indianapolis Colts

TV Households (000s): 3266

Indianapolis, Terre Haute, Lafayette

26) Buffalo Bills6

TV Households (000s): 2990

Buffalo, Rochester, Erie

27) Kansas City Chiefs

TV Households (000s): 2903

Kansas City, Topeka, Saint Joseph

28) San Diego Chargers

TV Households (000s): 2683

San Diego7

29) Tennessee Titans

TV Households (000s): 2667

Nashville, Bowling Green

30) New Orleans Saints***

TV Households (000s): 2635

New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Biloxi-Gulfport

1 Split between New England and New York

2 Split between Baltimore and Philadelphia

3 Split between Jacksonville and Tampa

4 This excludes the Vancouver media market, which is within the radius only by the southern tip of Vancouver Island. My reasoning is that a) NFL blackout rules don’t apply in Canada anyway (I was wrong) and B) it’s a long ferry ride from Victoria to Seattle. If I included Vancouver, Seattle would be tied with Dallas at spot 7.

5 I used two circles, 75 miles from each Milwaukee and Green Bay, which is what the NFL uses.

6 This excludes the Toronto media market, which is actually within the 75-mile circle. If I included Toronto, Buffalo would be ranked 4. It also excludes the Syracuse area which, though outside the 75-mile radius, is apparently sometimes blacked out if Buffalo doesn’t sell out.

7 The San Diego market in particular includes a wide swath of Mexico, including the Tijuana metro area, so I suspect there might be some Spanish-language households where they can/do watch American football, but I have no idea what number would be, nor for other teams that have a Spanish-language following.

I wonder why he said the market was a 75 mile radius and then included areas that are more than 75 milea away. I don't think that list is accurate.

I believe because they are considered to be part of the blackout radius, but I may be wrong.

Why a 75-mile radius? Because that’s what the NFL uses to determine primary and secondary local markets for blackouts. If a media market was in the radius of more than one team, I used the team that was closest. If they seemed equidistant, I just split the market in half.

he probably expanded it after realizing there's nothing but trees and asphalt within a 100 mile radius of charlotte.

This won't keep people from calling us a small market team.

We have a bigger market than Pittsburgh and Dallas. I'm pretty surprised we are 6th on the list. The way people talk on the huddle about us being a "small market team", I thought we would be much lower on the list.

I've been saying we aren't a small market for years. Green Bay is a small market, not greater Charlotte. NFL is one of the last sports that market size doesn't matter and I don't see this changing.

I wonder why he said the market was a 75 mile radius and then included areas that are more than 75 milea away. I don't think that list is accurate.

I believe the 75 mile rule encompasses any part of that particular market being within 75 miles. A lot of the cities listed as a media market are more than 75 miles away from their respective NFL team. Almost every team in the top 10 of this list has one or more cities listed as a media market that is more than 75 miles away.

You're not thinking about this right. Think of it this way - Draw a circle with a 75 mile radius around Charlotte, then draw one with a 75 mile radius around Greensboro. If they share any common area then it's included in the Same Market. In essence a city can be up to 150 miles away from Charlotte and be included.

Im from Raleigh, and I think the Triangle area should definitely be included in this radius. Everyone I know out here is Panther crazy.

Really? Panther crazy In Raleigh? Glad to hear it. Wish we could somehow quarantine Cowboy/Redskin/Steeler tards. NC would be a much better state.

Archived