• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1st and Goal What Do You Do?

chknwing

Ok this is just a hypothetical question. But would you feel more comfortable with Cam trying to run it in 3 times, jstew or tolbert trying to run it in 3 times, or pass 3 times. I got to admit, I would feel better and feel like we had a better chance to score if Cam was running it. Thoughts?

What is the distance? Are we talking first and goal from the ten, or the three, the seven????

1st Post to Smitty on the edge of the endzone.

2nd Triple read option where Cam can either flick it to Stew inside, pitch it to Williams outside, or take it himself between them.

3rd Play action to Tolbert, rollout, pump fake to Olsen and run it in OR run fake then hit Olsen or any other open WR for that matter.

4th Let Cam dive it in, Superman style.

No offense to you, but this type of bullshit is why we can't score in the red-zone.

2 passes and a Gimmick run....

No offense to you, but this type of bullshit is why we can't score in the red-zone.

2 passes and a Gimmick run....

Pitching it to DeAngelo isn't a gimmick; the dude's got speed off the edge. Moreover, the redzone is one of the areas where we should still utilize the read option, and the sweeping option plays where Cam can pass, keep or pitch seem to work better than the one's where he's got the ball in the RB's gut trying to make a decision.

Also, it's 1 pass, 1 pass/run option and two runs, so pretty balanced all and all. At that, I take issue with all the people on here knocking on the redzone passing game. Greg Olsen is a big target and should be used as such. Not to mention, Steve Smith is a freaking ballerina and can catch the ball while his body is at a 45 degree angle, falling over the out of bounds line where the DB can't get him before tapping his toes in bounds to make a catch. That's indefensible, and should be used.

Pitching it to DeAngelo isn't a gimmick; the dude's got speed off the edge. Moreover, the redzone is one of the areas where we should still utilize the read option, and the sweeping option plays where Cam can pass, keep or pitch seem to work better than the one's where he's got the ball in the RB's gut trying to make a decision.

Also, it's 1 pass, 1 pass/run option and two runs, so pretty balanced all and all. At that, I take issue with all the people on here knocking on the redzone passing game. Greg Olsen is a big target and should be used as such. Not to mention, Steve Smith is a freaking ballerina and can catch the ball while his body is at a 45 degree angle, falling over the out of bounds line where the DB can't get him before tapping his toes in bounds to make a catch. That's indefensible, and should be used.

Good post...the zone read generally is very good in the Red Zone. It presents tremendous problems for the opposing defense in short yardage situations.

The loonie reactionaries who blame all of Carolina's problems on the read option are laughable.

You are pointing out Carolina's mian problem in the Red Zone, actually.

They have some tremendous weapons that could be utilized: Good, big target tight end....brusing fullback...stud halfbacks...acrobatic, hall of fame flanker...tall, lanky #2 wide out...

the zone read leaves all those options on the table....

someone's just got to get the ball into the hands of the playmakers...

Any ideas???

No option plays are good in the red zone and this year has shown us that.

We don't need to give the Dline anymore time to get into the backfield.(which is what has been happening)

By the time all the stupid fakes are finished a DE has tackled our RB and the DT is on Cam...stupid plays gets stupid results.

Line up and play NFL football.

- i-formation, 2 TE 2 WR look,

-After faking a run block, receiver on the right runs a crossing route, receiver on the left runs a slant

-Both TEs also fake a run block and smoothly release themselves into whatever open area (An out pattern or a curl whatever)...they gotta sell the run block, that's the most important thing

-Deangelo lines up at RB, Jstew lines up at fullback

(If Cam sees anything he doesn't like, audible to a run for Deangelo bwteeen the tackles)

If not -> Playaction>Deangelo, TEs, WRs and Stew sell the run...and Jstew sneaks out into the right flat

Cam reads all his options from left to right....Don't hold on to the ball and stare down receivers!!

-receiver on the left(1 second and ball needs to be out if he is open)

-TE on the left (1 or 2 seconds and ball needs to be out if he is open)

-TE on the right (1 or 2 seconds and ball needs to be out if he is open)

-receiver on the right should be on the left by now...if he is open, hit him

I wouldn't even think about the receiver on the right though....If there is no pressure at this point, look to hit Jstew in the flat

If there is pressure, or there is nothing in about 5 or 6 seconds, either take off or throw the ball away

Move over Chud...When do I start? I am bored at work...lol

Archived