• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dumervil & Miller looking to contain Newton

King Taharqa

So what's going on with the Panthers' defense. I know Luke is a beast and that rookie CB you guys have seems to be doing pretty well for a 1st year player. If he keeps playing like that he will be a total steal. The Broncos have 2 CBs that went undrafted and have turned out to be some total gems so far (Chris Harris & Tony Carter) to go along with the timeless Champ Bailey.

How is the Panthers' secondary. I haven't watched alot of Panther's this season but they havent seemed too bad except for that safety, Nakawhatshisname.

We've got some pretty big receivers and I think it would be an interesting match up to your secondary.

They mentioned with the 5 sacks last week, Denver was tied for 6th in the league with 24 sacks. What they didn't mention was that they are tied for 6th with the Panthers who also have 24 sacks. Compare that with 2011 where we had 31 for the whole year. This year we have 24 in half a season and I think we are going to get better.

This should be a good battle.

Honestly, I could see both QBs being harrassed equally Sundsy.

It is hard to sack Manning. He will throw it away or chuck it whenever he feels any pressure. What you hope is to influence his throws, make him throw before he wants to, disguise coverages so he throws into double coverage. You have to mess with his head. That means not playing typical coverages and staying in them. Atlanta did a great job confusing him and won as a result. This year he has been willing to throw picks because he doesn't want to get hit.

They mentioned with the 5 sacks last week, Denver was tied for 6th in the league with 24 sacks. What they didn't mention was that they are tied for 6th with the Panthers who also have 24 sacks. Compare that with 2011 where we had 31 for the whole year. This year we have 24 in half a season and I think we are going to get better.

This should be a good battle.

I have to admit, 24 sacks at the half way mark is a huge improvement over 31 in the entire 2011 season.

The Broncos ended the season with 41 sacks in 2011 so the jury is still out on improvement in that area.

I have to admit, 24 sacks at the half way mark is a huge improvement over 31 in the entire 2011 season.

The Broncos ended the season with 41 sacks in 2011 so the jury is still out on improvement in that area.

We had so many injuries last year we really sucked balls on defense. This is the defense we expected to see last year and it is only starting to look good. With Gamble, our best corner, on IR and Josh Norman being a rookie, our secondary has had growing pains but is actually starting to look decent. Captain Munnerlyn is a real scrapper and plays physical man coverage but at 5-8 he is too short to play the big physical receiver. We are one good corner away from being a decent team on defense. We will see on Sunday if we get exposed or come to play.

Is it still Foxy's MO for his teams to get shitted on completely by tight ends? If so, Olsen should go off this game.

Edit: wow. I didn't know JDR was their d coordinator. Holy sloppy fuging seconds retread coaching staff batman.

Broncos fans: good luck with that when the greatest QB of all time doesn't fall into your lap and fox&co have to draft and develop one.

Is it still Foxy's MO for his teams to get shitted on completely by tight ends? If so, Olsen should go off this game.

Edit: wow. I didn't know JDR was their d coordinator. Holy sloppy fuging seconds retread coaching staff batman.

Broncos fans: good luck with that when the greatest QB of all time doesn't fall into your lap and fox&co have to draft and develop one.

We already drafted one. Brock Osweiler. I'm not sure Fox had much to do with that one considering the say-so that John Elway has. I'm not sure what that guy will turn in to but he can't be worse than The Golden Calf of Bristol especially sitting behind Peyton for however many years and Elway and Co. helping to develop him.

As far as the TEs go, they are definitely a weakness but given the caliber of the TEs we have played, I can't be too upset ( Health Miller, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, and freaking Gronkowski).

We already drafted one. Brock Osweiler. I'm not sure Fox had much to do with that one considering the say-so that John Elway has. I'm not sure what that guy will turn in to but he can't be worse than The Golden Calf of Bristol especially sitting behind Peyton for however many years and Elway and Co. helping to develop him.

As far as the TEs go, they are definitely a weakness but given the caliber of the TEs we have played, I can't be too upset ( Health Miller, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, and freaking Gronkowski).

I promise you that it has nothing to do with the caliber of tight ends you played against (though they are all very good) and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that a John Fox led team has never, ever been able to stop tight ends from kicking him in the ass. Bronco fans think they know Fox after 1.5 seasons, we had him here for eight years. Two things are certain, he gets beat by tight ends and absolutely HATES young players.

I promise you that it has nothing to do with the caliber of tight ends you played against (though they are all very good) and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that a John Fox led team has never, ever been able to stop tight ends from kicking him in the ass. Bronco fans think they know Fox after 1.5 seasons, we had him here for eight years. Two things are certain, he gets beat by tight ends and absolutely HATES young players.

It's too soon for me to say but as of now (including last season) the trend of TEs hurting us has seemed like it could continue. The season started rough with opposing TEs but I think the defense is finally getting their feet beneath them. This is the 7th defensive coordinator that they have had in 6 years (Josh McDummy fired Nolan midseason). If they can maintain the same system, they will be even better. I will say this, Fox has done a pretty nice job of getting the young guys involved. He has the younger guys in sprinkled with vets are some critical positions which I think is helping develop them.

After looking at the ages of both teams, as of now, the Panthers team as a whole averages out to 26.04 years old. The Broncos are only slightly older with an average age of 26.47

You asked about our secondary and it went unnoticed I suppose.

Losing Gamble for the year hurts, but with the position we're in it doesn't hurt to get the young guys some experience with the real bullets flying. Gamble is one of the league's best cover CB's and no one outside of our area knows anything about him.

Replacing him on the outside is second year, undrafted guy Josh Thomas who has good ball skills, is very physical with good size and speed. He's young and I'm sure Manning will go after him early and often. Given Manning's mastery of the game I could see him getting abused, then everyone here will have a meltdown.

Rookie Josh Norman is also playing well, one thing he shares with Thomas is supreme confidence. You could probably just copy everything I say above and apply it to Norman, though I think he is slightly better in coverage and has better ball skills. I like their aggressiveness, but it'll probably bite them this week.

Much Maligned midget CB Captain Munnerlyn has performed well in the nickel, he seems to thrive inside where taller WR's can't use the sideline to screem him. He's very athletic, but not enough to make up for his lack of size. He's very, very physical, a good tackler and a decent cover guy. Most people wanted him shot at dawn following last season, but he's a reliable PR and very good tackler.

SS Charles Godfrey is a very hard hitter who has had to deal with moving back and forth between the free and strong spots, so despite being a former college CB he's vulnerable in coverage and doesn't use good fundamentals when tackling. If he hits you, he'll destroy you, but he's likely to land a glancing blow.

FS Haruki Nakamura is the try hard, but just not talented enough, guy who fans love to hate for practically giving Atl a win on a last minute 99 yard drive where his sole responsibility was to keep the WR's in front of him...he couldn't manage that. Despite learning from a future HoF'er in Ed Reed he's below average. For me, he's the biggest weakness on the D.

Over all the secondary has been playing well. I think it's a combination of overachieving and the benefit of a resurgent pass rush that's been mentioned. Normally I feel good about this group, but Manning will exploit the inexperience back there if we can't disrupt him somehow. Our biggest benefit may also be our biggest problem in that Denver doesn't have a marquee WR, they have a very capable cast of pass catchers who are fundamentally sound and will capitalize on mistakes. Thomas has the makings of a top WR, but he's not there yet. Manning and his cast of character reminds me a lot of the Saints' WR corps.

You asked about our secondary and it went unnoticed I suppose.

Losing Gamble for the year hurts, but with the position we're in it doesn't hurt to get the young guys some experience with the real bullets flying. Gamble is one of the league's best cover CB's and no one outside of our area knows anything about him.

Replacing him on the outside is second year, undrafted guy Josh Thomas who has good ball skills, is very physical with good size and speed. He's young and I'm sure Manning will go after him early and often. Given Manning's mastery of the game I could see him getting abused, then everyone here will have a meltdown.

Rookie Josh Norman is also playing well, one thing he shares with Thomas is supreme confidence. You could probably just copy everything I say above and apply it to Norman, though I think he is slightly better in coverage and has better ball skills. I like their aggressiveness, but it'll probably bite them this week.

Much Maligned midget CB Captain Munnerlyn has performed well in the nickel, he seems to thrive inside where taller WR's can't use the sideline to screem him. He's very athletic, but not enough to make up for his lack of size. He's very, very physical, a good tackler and a decent cover guy. Most people wanted him shot at dawn following last season, but he's a reliable PR and very good tackler.

SS Charles Godfrey is a very hard hitter who has had to deal with moving back and forth between the free and strong spots, so despite being a former college CB he's vulnerable in coverage and doesn't use good fundamentals when tackling. If he hits you, he'll destroy you, but he's likely to land a glancing blow.

FS Haruki Nakamura is the try hard, but just not talented enough, guy who fans love to hate for practically giving Atl a win on a last minute 99 yard drive where his sole responsibility was to keep the WR's in front of him...he couldn't manage that. Despite learning from a future HoF'er in Ed Reed he's below average. For me, he's the biggest weakness on the D.

Over all the secondary has been playing well. I think it's a combination of overachieving and the benefit of a resurgent pass rush that's been mentioned. Normally I feel good about this group, but Manning will exploit the inexperience back there if we can't disrupt him somehow. Our biggest benefit may also be our biggest problem in that Denver doesn't have a marquee WR, they have a very capable cast of pass catchers who are fundamentally sound and will capitalize on mistakes. Thomas has the makings of a top WR,

Thomas was drafted in the 5th by the Cowgirls. But yeah, pretty spot on JOAT.

Archived