• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone here concerned with Cam's future (next year)?

Mike Florio (I don't think highly of him) has been spewing all kinds of stuff. He thinks there is a real chance that the new GM will not want Cam Newton here and will convince Richardson to move on from Newton as soon as next season:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/22/next-panthers-g-m-has-some-big-decisions-to-make-on-newton/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/14/accorsi-will-have-huge-impact-on-future-of-panthers-newton/

Does anyone think it's a real possibility that the Panthers new GM decides to go in a different direction? Or is this a case of a guy (Florio) just hoping to gain some extra clicks and speculating on a situation he is way further away from then the posters of this board and the people who follow the Panthers closely (Florio covers all 30 NFL teams and seems to know less about some franchises then others, the Panthers seemingly one of them).

I really don't think Cam is going anywhere. I would like to think he's locked in here for a decade pretty much barring anything.... but I don't know.

Florio is an idiot. Cam will be the calling card that gets this job much more interest than it would normally. Some coach is going to salivate at the thought of all the talent on this team.

Hell, if the 49ers took on Harbaugh last year and he stuck with Alex Smith there's no way someone is going to want to ditch Cam.

all depends on who the team hires and what they do.

i really don't see the new GM or HC wanting to move on from cam, though. no reason to. last year he was given a system and playcalling that he could win with and that could be built upon.

that disappeared because of the coaching and playcalling. any thinking person without their head up their ass would recognize that. btw...that wouldn't be florio who made a career by having his head up his ass and throwing poo at the wall to see what sticks.

Yes. Nothing is off the table at this point. I'd hate to see it personally.

You really think so?

I just don't see who we would bring in here, be it a veteran like Jason Campbell or Mark Sanchez or even having the pick of the litter of Barkley, Geno Smith, etc. who is going to have a higher upside than Cam or even come close.

It would be a horrible business move to move on from the guy who had the greatest rookie season of all time just a yea rremoved from that season, I think.

I think any GM brought in should be brought in with the condition of "you are going to build around cam newton, every piece he will need you will go out and acquire".

I think it works in Cam's favor that Accorsi is heading up this search. Think about it, and I only know this because I married into a Giants family but they all thought nothing of Eli Manning when Accorsi was there. They wanted Eli burned at the stake in 2005, 2006. Even the tail end of 2007, there were SERIOUS concerns with Eli's play. You think Cam has bad days? Eli would show up some games and would go 15 of 45, or throw 4 INT's. There was talk he couldn't play in the meadowlands because of the wind. His mechanics were bad. But Accorsi NEVER wavered on Eli. Eli goes on to win that Superbowl at the end of the 2007 season, the rest is history. I think Accorsi is of that stance with Newton; that's just my opinion. But I don't think Accorsi would dump on Newton. I think he knows and has told Richardson that something special exists here with our QB and he's going to bring in a guy who builds around Newton.

Archived