• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Kilgo thinks Carolina Huddle posters are idiots

SCP

He tells it like it is. He just sounds angry when he's doing it.

My opinion of John (Killer) Kilgo is that he tells it not like it is but like he thinks it is. Seems his opinion,in his own mind,is always correct and come hell or high water others are automatically wrong.

On a side note,who is that squeaky,irritating voiced girl (sounds about 14) on WFNZ that gives their sports updates? When she starts talking her voice is so annoying i turn the radio off.

What some of the posters here don't get is this: good or bad, there has always been an entertainment aspect to all but the most serious forms of broadcasting. That includes news/sports...even weather. John Kilgo's career took off about the same time the era of the "shock jock" was born. Do you really think the person(a) presented on the air is the exact same one that coworkers, friends, and family see/hear? With rare exceptions, of course not.

Kilgo's old boss, Stan Kaplan, encouraged the very sort of thing the haters are complaining about. Sure a few people are "button pushers," "knob twisters." or whatever we used to call those who changed channels/stations when someone/something came on, but, for the most part, you do listen, and you react just as strongly as he does on the air...and that is exactly what "strong" air personalities are trying to get you to do. Every one of you who has read or posted on this thread, even the ones who have never heard of him...well, now you have. In other words, you took the bait. No matter what your opinion of him is, the net result is positive for Kilgo, FNZ, and their advertisers. That is exactly how that business works. For that matter, it's how many businesses work.

TLDR: You've been had, owned, etc.

What some of the posters here don't get is this: good or bad, there has always been an entertainment aspect to all but the most serious forms of broadcasting. That includes news/sports...even weather. John Kilgo's career took off about the same time the era of the "shock jock" was born. Do you really think the person(a) presented on the air is the exact same one that coworkers, friends, and family see/hear? With rare exceptions, of course not.

Kilgo's old boss, Stan Kaplan, encouraged the very sort of thing the haters are complaining about. Sure a few people are "button pushers," "knob twisters." or whatever we used to call those who changed channels/stations when someone/something came on, but, for the most part, you do listen, and you react just as strongly as he does on the air...and that is exactly what "strong" air personalities are trying to get you to do. Every one of you who has read or posted on this thread, even the ones who have never heard of him...well, now you have. In other words, you took the bait. No matter what your opinion of him is, the net result is positive for Kilgo, FNZ, and their advertisers. That is exactly how that business works. For that matter, it's how many businesses work.

TLDR: You've been had, owned, etc.

When you first started whining, he was a respected, credible, straight-forward man. Now he's a shock jock troll trying to get attention. You should decide on a story and stick with that or you're going to lose this case, son.

When you first started whining, he was a respected, credible, straight-forward man. Now he's a shock jock troll trying to get attention. You should decide on a story and stick with that or you're going to lose this case, son.

Lol, just what I was thinking. Now he is a shock jock? Well, possibly because he is a cheeseburger away from a defibrillator.

why is that merely reacting to something stupid/insane/incorrect a member of the media says usually results in a chorus of people saying "haha the joke's on you you played right into their hands he was trying to elicit a response DANCE PUPPET DANCE"

i mean couldn't someone also just up and say that all the terrible shitposting on this board was just a ploy to get someone from the media to notice us and that kilgo has in fact been had here? i mean i wonder how many people heard that on the radio (i know that radio has no audience now, try to suspend your disbelief for a moment) and then checked out the site immediately afterward? lol looks like kilgo played right into zod's hands am i right

Lol, just what I was thinking. Now he is a shock jock? Well, possibly because he is a cheeseburger away from a defibrillator.

Have fun guys. I never said that. I said he comes from the beginning of that era (think Howard Stern, and locally, Jay Thomas, who also worked for Kaplan at the same time Kilgo was there). That is not fundamentally inconsistent with anything else I've said. My point is simply that "strong" air personalities elicit strong reactions and generally, more listeners. Look at the replies/views here. You can't buy that kind of publicity. Stan Kaplan also taught that. Furthermore, many of these posts are proving Kilgo correct. The last laugh isn't on Kilgo, he's the one having it.

Have fun guys. I never said that. I said he comes from the beginning of that era (think Howard Stern, and locally, Jay Thomas, who also worked for Kaplan at the same time Kilgo was there). That is not fundamentally inconsistent with anything else I've said. My point is simply that "strong" air personalities elicit strong reactions and generally, more listeners. Look at the replies/views here. You can't buy that kind of publicity. Stan Kaplan also taught that. Furthermore, many of these posts are proving Kilgo correct. The last laugh isn't on Kilgo, he's the one having it.

This isn't really a lot of replies for the Huddle; it actually has an audience.

This isn't really a lot of replies for the Huddle; it actually has an audience.

You don't get it. If this thread generated one more net listener, or a current listener pays a little more attention when he's on, he, FNZ, and their clients all win. Period.

PS - Kilgo doesn't have a scheduled slot on FNZ. His listenership numbers depend almost entirely on the station itself. To the extent they don't, publicity like this almost ALWAYS makes for a net gain. In radio, it's percentages (market share) that matter most, not overall numbers. That has been true forever. As someone else said, number-wise, local radio is dead in the water compared to other forms of media. In that respect, you are correct.

Archived