• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rumor killer on Chip Kelly wanting 'total control'

Dpantherman

There are several reports from NFL officials that still link Kelly with Carolina and that Rivera will be gone by the end of the weekend. Take the rumors for what you will, but the Panther's can't interview anyone right now for a HC spot that isn't currently open.

Links to these reports?

Links to these reports?

It's kinda hard to link reports from specific NFL people since they don't usually give the name when mentioning stuff like that. However there a few articles from places using those said sources. There's other articles as well, but this one gives the gist of pretty much what they all say. Kelly is still linked with the Panther's. Just does Kelly get a job before Carolina makes a decision on Rivera....

http://www.ibtimes.c...a-eagles-988498

He'd have to want us pretty bad.

By Friday night, he'll likely already have three job offers.

Us? We may or may not have an opening for a new head coach, or a new GM, by that time.

The homer in me sneaks out every now and again and says that he probably would want to come here if the job was available before he committed elsewhere. I mean he is an offensive guy and he would have one of the most dynamic and potential laden QBs ever to play with. It's not an unattractive job here.

Then the realist in me takes back over and realizes that the chances are that he'll already have another job, not just offers, by the time we even know if we're going to have an opening. Thus is the curse of the organization moving a glacial pace to do any damn thing. And given our attitude to Harbaugh the year we hired Rivera we likely wouldn't pursue him terribly hard (if at all) anyway. It's just not who we are.

How do we know if someone in the org. is already in contact with Kelly and/or his people? Im just saying...if Rivera goes we have to become the most attractive job. Kelly knows about Cam and the rest of the talented guys we have.

I agree with joemac. Nobody knows what's going on behind the scenes. We may have already made quiet inquires to Kelly's people or a number or other head coaches.

As to the part about JR being cheap...while he isn't cheap, I don't believe he believes in paying top dollar for unproven coaches. Fox didn't start out here as a high paid coach; he only got the big bucks after he took us to the Super Bowl. So in that sense, no, I don't think JR will pay top dollar to get a hot coaching candidate.

It's possible, but do you remember the disaster in Miami after they pursued Harbaugh while Sparano was still on board? Stuff like that gets out.

I think we're just legitimately waiting on the GM hire before anything happens one way or another with Ron Rivera.

It's possible, but do you remember the disaster in Miami after they pursued Harbaugh while Sparano was still on board? Stuff like that gets out.

I think we're just legitimately waiting on the GM hire before anything happens one way or another with Ron Rivera.

the thing i wonder is if there is a perceived sense of urgency from the FO.

JR was on vacation while other teams were being active. what decisions are being made now?

i hate rushing decisions like this, but when you have other teams pursuing the same people and you have decisions to make that include highly sought after people you have to rush through it.

if you want the best GM for the team...you've got to start getting things going now, like the other teams are. if you want the best coach...you've got to start getting things going now. this isn't stuff that you can just mull over for a few days. time is running out.

Has anyone actually said where Richardson is or what he's doing?

I haven't seen anything that definitively says JR was on vacation or where he was at all.

I do believe he wasn't in Charlotte but given that we weren't firing Rivera on Monday he didn't need to be. He could have been doing thing Panthers related. It's possible even that Accorsi is arranging the interviews for GM candidates / asking permission on behalf of the team to talk to them. We just don't know.

In fact my problems with JR and our office are that we don't know anything at fuging all and that, because we don't know anything at all, perception is that they're herp derping along up there without any sense of urgency at all.

Communication people. Lrn2talk.

Archived