• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The league's only black OC makes it to the Super Bowl....

King Taharqa

...but he wont be a head coach in 2013. LMAO. His 3 years in Indy they go to the Super Bowl his 1st year (14-2), wins the division and get bounced in the 1st round his 2nd (10-6). His QB is out the entire season in year 3, and his organization goes in full "tank" mode (2-14). Then he's fired before he's allowed to "inherit" the new franchise face the following year. Dude did not have a job until Cam Cameron was fired in December. Since then Flacco has been tearing it up, the Baltimore O line has played better, and their offense as a whole is making plays and putting up more yards and points per game. Yet most people will still tell you Jim Caldwell sucks and Peyton "choke artist" Manning carried him. The NFL has got to do better man. They are like 40 years behind the rest of the world.

...but he wont be a head coach in 2013. LMAO. His 3 years in Indy they go to the Super Bowl his 1st year (14-2), wins the division and get bounced in the 1st round his 2nd (10-6). His QB is out the entire season in year 3, and his organization goes in full "tank" mode (2-14). Then he's fired before he's allowed to "inherit" the new franchise face the following year. Dude did not have a job until Cam Cameron was fired in December. Since then Flacco has been tearing it up, the Baltimore O line has played better, and their offense as a whole is making plays and putting up more yards and points per game. Yet most people will still tell you Jim Caldwell sucks and Peyton "choke artist" Manning carried him. The NFL has got to do better man. They are like 40 years behind the rest of the world.

If you were the commish, what would you do?

*tries to steer this thread away from troubled waters*

If you were the commish, what would you do?

*tries to steer this thread away from troubled waters*

I dont think the commish can do anything. People hire who they want to hire. The league has already tried to implement rules to cut down on the inherent bias of some of these execs and its still not working. A system thats been implemented and nurtured for almost a century takes more than a few years to break. That doesnt mean we as fans have to look the other way or ignore the fact a sport thats almost 80% black makes sure all positions of authority and power are mainly held by whites. Even in 2013.

Sometimes people are better coordinators than coaches. It is weird that he is the only African American OC though

There's only been a handful of black OCs in the history of the game over the course of 80 years. There is a stigma that black people are not in game strategists and dont know offense. You'll notice almost all black head coaches have come from the defensive side of the ball and tend to be conservative in nature. Denny Green is one former black OC who went on to be a head coach and experienced success.

I'm not sure you have any idea what "the rest of the world" is like if you think the NFL is "40 years behind".

I know in the rest of the world it is not uncommon to see people who arent white holding positions of power and authority. Business owners, decision makers, strategists. These are all foreign concepts to the NFL where they have to put in a rule forcing themselves to interview people for jobs that arent white. Think about that for a second. Its that bad they have to self police themselves and even then they've done a poor job. The concept of african americans having intelligence and being able to grasp strategy and displaying leadership abilities and deal with adversity is fairly new to the sport as well. The NBA and MLB crossed those bridges decades ago. If the nation moved as slow as the NFL, it'd be another 40 years before we saw a black President.

I know in the rest of the world it is not uncommon to see people who arent white holding positions of power and authority. Business owners, decision makers, strategists. These are all foreign concepts to the NFL where they have to put in a rule forcing themselves to interview people for jobs that arent white. Think about that for a second. Its that bad they have to self police themselves and even then they've done a poor job. The concept of african americans having intelligence and being able to grasp strategy and displaying leadership abilities and deal with adversity is fairly new to the sport as well. The NBA and MLB crossed those bridges decades ago. If the nation moved as slow as the NFL, it'd be another 40 years before we saw a black President.

So by "rest of the world" you mean "america". I guess I shouldn't have expected anything more.

so if all OCs were black, you wouldn't be saying a thing defending white people would you?

instead of dealing with unrealistic hypotheticals, how bout we deal with reality. SELF ACTUALIZATION. I know its a scary thing, but we have to do it. The NFL's history of racial bias towards whites in positions of authority isnt debatable. Thats why things like the "Rooney Rule" exist in the first place. There has never been a point in NFL history where every OC was black, hell there's never been a point when you had more than 1 working at a time. There have been years upon years where each and every one of them were white. We've just gotten to the point where its acceptable to believe in a black QB in 2013, 5 years after a black President got elected. Its not about "my defense" its about the NFL's problem. None of these would be issues if the NFL's workforce was majority white (a la Hockey), but that is not the case.

If it makes you feel better, here's a white guy that echoes my same sentiment in an article a few weeks ago....

http://sports.yahoo....-054103279.html

There a white guy said it, so I guess its valid now.

Archived