• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers hire Ken Dorsey as QB coach

Dpantherman

But we already manning has an extremely high football iq and when he's at the line can read the d and Audible into the best play. I'm sure he could still do that for the sideline or up in the booth then say it in the headset.

The headset is cut off after a certain time on the play clock afaik. And there's no way you can do that from the booth on the fly. Only a QB can make those last second decisions to be able to relay it to his offense.

I tend to believe that the best nfl coaches prospects are the ones that were average players at best. You know the ones that never had the raw athleticism and intangibles that a lot of these future HOF players have (Peppers comes to mind). My explanation for this theory is simple.... these were the players that had to be meticulous with their technique in order to compete or stand a chance against other nfl players that were a lot better athletes than them etc.

One clear example comes to mind

Ricky proehl-- never a #1 wr but man could he run routes. His crip technique is probably the only reason he lasted in the nfl so long. Hence why I think he'll be a great wr coach moving forward.

On the flip side, I think that's why a great player like Mike Singletary turned out me be a less than average coach. He wasn't the most athletic but he had great "instinct", and that's something that Cannot be tought. He was a great instinctive player since day 1 (Sound familiar?)

Which brings me to my last point/opinion. I believe our very own Luke Kuechley would NOT be a very good coach if he pursued that venture.

But that's just my humble observation and analysis.

Yeah, coaches are usually guys that master the why's of your technique needs to be a certain way. They're also more patient with teaching and learning though. HoFamer's types are more obsessive, I think this may have been the knock on a guy like Singletary.

They're are lots of other traits you need to be a coach though.

Have to be able to motivate and inspire men, have to be somewhat of a politician, have to be a psychologist, a mentor, a leader, all that too. They are rare breeds.

And you don't think manning couldn't teach it to his qb? I think he could.

If it were that easy, every QB would do it. No I don't think Manning could teach it to a young QB. What he does is once in a lifetime. Probably only Brees and Brady come close to his recognition and ability to adapt plays. But they aren't in the same ballpark.

If it were that easy, every QB would do it. No I don't think Manning could teach it to a young QB. What he does is once in a lifetime. Probably only Brees and Brady come close to his recognition and ability to adapt plays. But they aren't in the same ballpark.

Peyton didn't develop this skill on his own he got help. Bet if Peyton had a young qb like luck and taught him everything he knew it would work.

Peyton didn't develop this skill on his own he got help. Bet if Peyton had a young qb like luck and taught him everything he knew it would work.

The problem is Peyton would never work with a young QB/Teammates--like Luck--to teach him as long as he was the starter.

Manning was notoriously selfish about taking all /the lions share of snaps during the week, and was known not to work with or teach back ups. That's just how he was. It was all about him. And he makes no apologies for it.

Would this preclude him being a good teacher as a coach? I don't know. Probably so. Because people who like to teach usually have that bug in them. And Peyton hasn't demonstrated the sharing/empathy quotient through out his career.

Manning doesn't have magical knowledge that he can just pass on and a young QB can just emulate it. That isn't how it works.

The problem is Peyton would never work with a young QB/Teammates--like Luck--to teach him as long as he was the starter.

Manning was notoriously selfish about taking all /the lions share of snaps during the week, and was known not to work with or teach back ups. That's just how he was. It was all about him. And he makes no apologies for it.

Would this preclude him being a good teacher as a coach? I don't know. Probably so. Because people who like to teach usually have that bug in them. And Peyton hasn't demonstrated the sharing/empathy quotient through out his career.

Have you seen him on the sidelines? Almost every time I watch him there he's got everyone huddled around him showing them what to look at and look for from the defense and how to best attack. On Denver especially he's got some young receivers that's he's molding into his weapons. I never really saw him as selfish. I just think if he did make his run at a qb coach oc or HC he'd be good is all I'm saying. Probably wont happen though cause after he's done playing he'll have enough money to keep his wife home and fug her all day and not care lol

Manning doesn't have magical knowledge that he can just pass on and a young QB can just emulate it. That isn't how it works.

So reading the defense and knowing the best available play to call is strictly a born with trait? Not true. Showing a young qb what to look for in the defenses what to exploit where to exploit it can all be taught. It isn't some magical power you only get by being beaten by a radioactive spider or something

Have you seen him on the sidelines? Almost every time I watch him there he's got everyone huddled around him showing them what to look at and look for from the defense and how to best attack. On Denver especially he's got some young receivers that's he's molding into his weapons. I never really saw him as selfish. I just think if he did make his run at a qb coach oc or HC he'd be good is all I'm saying. Probably wont happen though cause after he's done playing he'll have enough money to keep his wife home and fug her all day and not care lol

That's cause he's trying to win within the context of a game. That's not surprising.

However, that has nothing to do with his willingness to help/teach (or his UN-willingness to help and teach) any young or back up quarterback. Two different things (though I understand what you're saying).

After his career, I see him more as a GM or part of an ownership group, like someone said earlier.

If he ever coaches, god bless him.

Archived