• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thinking about selling everything I own and moving to Hawaii

Bwood

Portland is somewhere I've always wanted to visit, but I don't know if I'd get sick of it. And I'm a huge ocean man so that's why Hawaii is another plus.

The keys could be cool but with my luck Katrina 2.0 will come and wash me and my shack to sea.

I've thought of this many times myself...but never Hawai...way too many fugen Americans there!!!

I think somewhere in the Phillipines or something like that...you can pretty much buy your own island for about 3 bucks and live really really cheap.

Let's assume you make 45k in Los Angeles, in order to have a similar comfortable life style you would have to make $57k in Honolulu.

Groceries is 45% more

Housing is 28% more

Utilities is 44% more

Transportation is 16% more

Health Care is 12% more

You're better off staying put or move to San Diego. If you really want to move where COL is cheaper, move to Portland or Seattle where Cost of Living is 34% less than LA.

Whatever you do, make a sound decision and not on impulse.

I lived on an expensive tropical island for 6 years. (And Carmel for 2 coincidentally. Carmel is not SoCal and is pretty expensive but doable. More for the older wine drinking crowd if you ask me)

It's going to be painful to just move to Hawaii unless you have a decent job lined up. If you are just showing up on an island I might do Puerto Rico or something. Cheaper and plenty of expats there.

Archived