• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bad day for female kicker hopeful Silberman

Brokenbad

I doubt she'd have gotten the tryout if she hadn't shown the ability to kick past 20 yards before.

My guess, the injury caused the issues. It happens.

Didn't really expect her to make it anyway, but oh well...

Incorrect.

This is why I truly believe it was for publicity from the jump...

From an article on ESPNw (which is ESPN for women and I had no idea that it existed):

Silberman doesn't have the kind of athletic experience that usually precedes a tryout like this. Her background is in soccer, specifically club soccer at the University of Wisconsin. She has never played football.

Still, she paid the $275 fee to register and NFL director of regional combines Stephen Austin said applicants weren't assessed before any of the 10 regional combines.

"We don't have time for that," Austin said.

The NFL allows anyone to register for the combines, and in the three years since they began, players have made it to the NFL, like St. Louis Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein. The only combine stipulations, provided spots are available, are that applicants meet the application deadline and are eligible for NFL draft. If any questions arise about a player, the NFL would contact the player directly, according to NFL spokesperson Rob McBurnett.

So to whoever said earlier in the thread that they were mad b/c she got a tryout and they never will... WRONG. You have $275, you have a tryout. Have at it. But make sure your quads are ready for the push-ups and crunches.

Also, there is this:

During two warmup periods, Silberman did not kick a single ball. She said she was holding off because of the injury.

When her turn came, it took her more than 20 seconds to set the ball on the tee for her first kick. Silberman then went through an unusual set up, taking eight or so steps backward, followed by four or five steps sideways, before running to the ball.

"The distance wasn't there but hopefully the scouts will notice my technique," Silberman said. "It's not always length."

After her day was finished, she was asked how far she has kicked a ball in practice.

"It's still hard to exactly say," Silberman said. "Just gotten better day by day and the distance is getting there."

http://espn.go.com/espnw/9010372/espnw-lauren-silberman-nfl-combine-tryout-ends-two-short-kicks

And one of the reporters there tweeted that he felt like it was clearly a sham. Someone tweeted back to him some crap insinuating he was discounting her b/c she was a female and he doesn't know whether she was injured or not, blah blah blah... The reporter tweeted back, "I was there and you weren't." You can tell by her answers that it was a joke.

Understandable. No we shouldn't. That being said, sometimes it's okay to make jokes or laugh at something that was clearly a joke to begin with. It's alright to turn the PC-meter off every now and then. Sometimes I seriously wonder if people on here would even crack a smile at a Dave Chappelle stand-up.

Indeed. I wasn't directing that at your post, I know you were joking. Others though, who knows.

Incorrect.

This is why I truly believe it was for publicity from the jump...

From an article on ESPNw (which is ESPN for women and I had no idea that it existed):

So to whoever said earlier in the thread that they were mad b/c she got a tryout and they never will... WRONG. You have $275, you have a tryout. Have at it. But make sure your quads are ready for the push-ups and crunches.

Good research. Though to be fair, she wouldn't be the first person to try out as a kicker without much or any football background (heck, we had one on roster here).

I'm gonna round up $275 and go for it :lol:

When did Brucie get out of prison?

In all seriousness this was a joke. Did you hear 1 of her answers how she hoped video games would prepare her physically for the NFL. And I'm an all star QB because I throw 5500+ yards and 55+ tds a season in madden.

No one has mentioned the part about her doing push-ups and crunches during her 30-minute warm-up and not kicking a single ball...this seems like a huge joke to me. Better get that upper body strong for your kicking tryout!! That's a shame...I was rooting for her. She just kind of annoys me now.

I don't care about her quad injury, she could have found a way to prepare herself for this moment if she wanted to. Like someone else said before, her technique is laughable...she had zero follow-through on either kick.

Like someone else said, if she was already hurting before the kick, doing a pre-kick wouldn't make sense.

Archived