• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dwan Edwards may not be coming back.

ncguy2184

With the market the way it is, I think it'll be hard to offer decent - good players that can fill a role solidly with one year offers. It'll be bargain bin hunting if that's how Gettleman wants to run it.

I thought the trend this year was that players aren't getting big contract and more short contracts.

At least that is the trend with pass rushers......http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/market-for-pass-rushers-ends-up-being-a-disappointment/

Dwan was not a NT but a 3 technique guy whose job was to penetrate and get to the quarterback which is exactly what he did quite well. You must be confusing him with Ron Edwards who was the NT. We finally were able to get a push up the middle which is one of the reasons that Hardy was so effective this year. Teams couldn't double him like in the past.

I think I been watching this team for the last decade that I can even tell you who were on the practice squad 5, 8, 10 years ago. I know who's Ron and who's Dwan. I also know that Dwan is our UT and Ron our NT. Im not confusing the two. :)

You guys are forgetting that we still have to replace 'RON' also, and not just Dwan. What I meant is that we could go a Sione Po'uha and Sheldon Richardson in the draft. Richardson replacing Dwan. He may not find the success Dwan has last season "6 sacks" in 2013, but he should be able to penetrate enough to find stability. That's Richardson's game; creating pressure.

I think I been watching this team for the last decade that I can even tell you who were on the practice squad 5, 8, 10 years ago. I know who's Ron and who's Dwan. I also know that Dwan is our UT and Ron our NT. Im not confusing the two. :)

You guys are forgetting that we still have to replace 'RON' also, and not just Dwan. What I meant is that we could go a Sione Po'uha and Sheldon Richardson in the draft. Richardson replacing Dwan. He may not find the success Dwan has last season "6 sacks" in 2013, but he should be able to penetrate enough to find stability. That's Richardson's game; creating pressure.

I was wondering if you forgot that we were having to replace Ron as well as Dwan if we don't resign him. I certainly don't think we should be trying to replace both of them especially when Dwan played so well.

If you remember the practice squads of 10 years ago then I am sure you remember the disaster starting 2 rookies at DT in 2010. I can't believe anyone who went through that would wish that kind of disaster on us in 2013. I don't care how dominant they were in college, when they come to the NFL they are playing against a guy every week who was better than the best guys they played against in college. And don't tell me how great they will be. I remember hearing that from Saints fans when they told me how dominant Sedrick Ellis would be coming out of college. How did that work out??

We really need to sign at least one starting caliber free agent DT. Entering the draft with the DTs we have on the roster now would be a disaster, nobody we have signed currently should ever be a starter in the NFL.

We only have two early picks, I can't see us using both of them on DT (and if we did that would screw us at other positions). Entering 2013 with two rookies starting at DT, one of them being a mid-late round pick... ugh.

Some of you are seriously overrating Dwan if you think he is that important. He was a cheap signing like a week or so before the regular season. OK DTs honestly aren't that hard to find. He is a solid penetrator but weak against the run. Garay isn't going to give us that same kind of pass rush, obviously, but he is a much better run stuffer and can still prevent QBs from stepping up in the pocket.

And we've seen it with our team in the past. Hollis Thomas was very good for us. And who here remembers Louis Leonard? He was looking very good. Shame he got hurt. OK to Solid DTs aren't too difficult to find. We just need to find ourselves a long term DT and one who can make a strong impact in the run and pass game. But replacing Dwan isn't hard.

I was wondering if you forgot that we were having to replace Ron as well as Dwan if we don't resign him. I certainly don't think we should be trying to replace both of them especially when Dwan played so well.

If you remember the practice squads of 10 years ago then I am sure you remember the disaster starting 2 rookies at DT in 2010. I can't believe anyone who went through that would wish that kind of disaster on us in 2013. I don't care how dominant they were in college, when they come to the NFL they are playing against a guy every week who was better than the best guys they played against in college. And don't tell me how great they will be. I remember hearing that from Saints fans when they told me how dominant Sedrick Ellis would be coming out of college. How did that work out??

Never said I wanted to start two rookies again. That's why I said if we can't retain Dwan, we could replace him by Sheldon and add Pouha to replace Ron. That's probably a better option to go with.

Archived