• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

City is running out of options in effort to tie Panthers to Charlotte

SCP

So JR pays for his upgrades then croaks in 2 years.The team is sold to the highest bidder. That buyer pays in excess of $1 billion. Immediately he needs a new stadium to increase revenues. And guess what, when NC balks,there is not one thing stopping or deterring the new owner from moving. If the city and state have public money in the game, the new owner would have to abide to the agreement in place or pay a poo ton to buy his way out of it.

So you're saying the state/city gives $200 million to ensure the team doesn't get taken away?

So you're saying the state/city gives $200 million to ensure the team doesn't get taken away?

By a future owner, yes. JR has stated publicly his intent to keep the team here. He can't speak for a future owner. So if NC/Charlotte wants to make it harder for the team to move, they better do what other cities are wiling to do. That is not emotional sabatoge that is how the NFL works.

By a future owner, yes. JR has stated publicly his intent to keep the team here. He can't speak for a future owner. So if NC/Charlotte wants to make it harder for the team to move, they better do what other cities are wiling to do. That is not emotional sabatoge that is how the NFL works.

so you know the succession plans for the ownership group?

do tell.

Exactly... I've lost a lot of respect for McCrory, this is nothing but partisan politics. It's the Republicans at the state level sticking it to the Democrats in Charlotte, nothing more.

There's no state money, okay fine - but why isn't Charlotte allowed to raise it's own taxes???

There are many reasons why Republicans were not in power in NC since 1870 until now. This is an example of why.

Hopefully this plus all the absolutely idiotic law proposals will remind the vast majority of our general population why the Republican's cannot be trusted to competently run the government.

I know don't know why everyone is surprised that the Republicans who are running the state government and who are dominant in the western part of the state are putting it to the Panthers and Charlotte. As others have said, this is purely politics to stick to the stupid promise to not raise taxes no matter what. Intelligent people don't make those kind of definitive promises, only those more invested in dogma than reality, power versus serving the public good. It reminds me of all the republicans who voted to not help the storm victims on the East Coast because they didn't want to spend the money. It wasn't about doing the right thing or helping others, but winning a battle politically and furthering their own personal interests. You voted them in and now you can live with the results. I can sleep well at night knowing I didn't. I have seen this all before................

Archived