• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who Do You Want the Panthers to Draft at 14th Overall?

With the 14th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers select...  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Want the Panthers to Draft at 14th Overall? (No trade down)

• Chance Warmack OG
    • Jonathan Cooper OG
    • Sheldon Richardson DT
    • Xavier Rhodes CB
    • Desmond Trufant CB
    • Tavon Austin WR
    • Cordarrelle Patterson WR
    • DeAndre Hopkins WR
    • Keenan Allen WR
    • Jonathan Cyprien S
    • Kenny Vaccaro S
    • DJ Fluker OT
    • Tyler Eifert TE
    • Barkevious Mingo DE
    • Datone Jones DE/DT
    • Jesse Williams DT
    • Sylvester Williams DT
    • Other (post below)

Lafell has already made some pretty damn acrobatic catches here. 2 his rookie season alone come to mind. Plus that catch where he elevated and plucked the ball out of the air last year that set the record for longest Panthers receiving TD.

I do like Rogers though. I don't think just because he and Lafell have similar games he would have no place on the team. Big body, good hands WRs can make plays. Whether there's 1 of them on the field or 3. They're chain movers, not necessarily explosive playmakers. You don't really need explosive plays if you can move the chains efficiently. As long as we have the RBs we have, Cam and 1 explosive playmaker WR - which is Smitty for now, maybe next year it start transitioning to Marquis Lee, Sammy Watkins or someone else (this year only Austin really fits the description of the high end WRs and I don't really want him as early as we'd have to take him) - chain movers will have a role.

The problem is that's not what people around say they want.

They talk about getting a down field threat a guy who can take the top off the defense. Not another possession WR. Which Rogers and Lafell are. They want a big play threat a guy who in a year can take Steve's spot. Neither Rogers or Lafell can do that.

My worry is not to many WR in this draft can do that.

There aren't many receivers in this draft that can do that. I don't think this is the draft to get Smitty's replacement (unless we get Hunter and his injury problems are a thing of the past). Hopkins looks like his floor is as a good solid starter, but he doesn't strike me as a "threat" that opposing defenses will have to gameplan for. Reminds me of a Boldin (potential that is).

Unless some of the youngsters we have really make strides, we need more than 1 more receiver (Smitty's replacement). We could take a Rogers or a Patton or a Woods or one of the other guys that don't necessarily look like deep threat Smitty replacements with the intention of them serving as our long term #3 and look to next year to get our long term #1. Next year's #1, Lafell, Rogers/Patton/Woods could make for a very good long term WR corps.

If we did go for Hopkins (or Allen) I imagine they would end up our #2 eventually, next year (or some other time real soon) we'll get Smitty's replacement, and Lafell would bump down to the #3 for the long term. The only way I see a Smitty replacement coming from this draft is Hunter. In that scenario, this year it'd be Smitty, Lafell, Hunter as a great short term main WR corps with Hunter taking over #2 maybe as soon as during this season, then taking over #1 when Smitty retires (or slides into the slot) with Lafell taking back over #2 if Smitty retired and finding a good #3 either in one of our current youngsters or a draft pick/FA acquisition some time in the next couple of years.

89 passes the torch to tavon

I just don't see Tavon as a legit #1.

He is quick, but small. Smitty has been able to beat the odds (height) because of how strong he is and his ridiculous vertical leap. Tavon has neither.

Now, I think that Tavon could be a very nasty slot receiver.....but, a legit #1....I just don't think so.

Unless Star is there :)

I want to trade back to 17 with the steelers , if hes there at 14 he will be there at 17, and then honestly i'd trade back again to the mid 20s and pick up another 3rd. Then pick hunter at 25 or so

Boom call me up d-getta

I vote Tavon Austin. An unquestioned playmaker in all 3 phases of the game, gives Cam another weapon and can hopefully solidify the #1 position in a couple years once smitty's gone. He's really my top guy. I'd however would not have a problem if the pick was Allen, Hopkins, or Sly.

Archived