• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jon Beason Interview on 5/10. Worth a Listen! (Summary Included)

I think we could have Urlacher/Briggs thing going on with Keuchly/Beason..

As long as we can restructure or reduce Beason's contract soon, I agree. But I'm more optimistic about our 2 new DTs becoming our version of Warren Sapp and Booger McFarland.

As long as we can restructure or reduce Beason's contract soon, I agree. But I'm more optimistic about our 2 new DTs becoming our version of Warren Sapp and Booger McFarland.

I agree that Beast makes our Core better. My thinking is, if he stays healthy and has a good to great year. We will extend him. Which could lower that massive cap hit quite a bit.

Because if we can't do something with his contract, we may not be able to keep him past this year.

With Keek and TD, we can get by with a less dominant player. It has to be cost effective or Gettlemen may decide to make a change.

I agree that Beast makes our Core better. My thinking is, if he stays healthy and has a good to great year. We will extend him. Which could lower that massive cap hit quite a bit.

Because if we can't do something with his contract, we may not be able to keep him past this year.

With Keek and TD, we can get by with a less dominant player. It has to be cost effective or Gettlemen may decide to make a change.

This will test his resolve to make his career about championships, instead of more individual accolades. Seems to me players have a bit of an ego about the size of their, ahem, contracts in the locker room. Let's see if he buys into what he's selling to the media.

• Pie 2

This will test his resolve to make his career about championships, instead of more individual accolades. Seems to me players have a bit of an ego about the size of their, ahem, contracts in the locker room. Let's see if he buys into what he's selling to the media.

Just to add to the thought above, the one thing Jon didn't discuss was his contract. And unfortunately, that is the one big thing that could get in the way of him continuing his career here.

I flat out would not pay Beason according to the terms of his existing contract. He's a great guy and a huge locker room presence but this is a business and the team has to do what's in it's best interests.

So I am going to hold back some of my Beason accolades until I hear he is willing to show some flexibility with his contract.

• Pie 2

As much as we all want to think the best of players. It really does come down to money for a lot of them. Is Beast one of those types? We will have to wait to find out. Cuz if it is all about money, and not championships like he says, he may not be around much longer.

We all know his contract is an albatross and if we know it, he knows it. Is he willing to help? That is the question.

Everything is pointing to Beason taking a paycut next season. Jon wants a ring, and if this squad makes a good run in 2013, he'll want to stick around. Beast adores Charlotte anywho.

I hope that's the case, and I expect Gettleman to prepare for it not being the case. Winning solves a lot of problems, so let's hope we have a great season. It would be nice to have that leverage in potential trades and contract renegotiations.

Everything is pointing to Beason taking a paycut next season. Jon wants a ring, and if this squad makes a good run in 2013, he'll want to stick around. Beast adores Charlotte anywho.

See that's the gist of it. He hasn't played in almost 2 years. He has gotten paid well for it. If he were so inclined, he could offer to restructure, take a pay cut, or even an extension. Restructures don't help in the long run. He probably won't take a pay cut. So it pretty much leaves an extension.

If he is healthy, an extension could solve a lot of problems. Then again, Gettlemen may want to jettison that cap hit next year anyway. Too many options at this point to give a definitive answer to the Beast question.

I totally believe we are a better team with Beast than without him. I hope this works out for the best. But I am not too comfortable with it at all.

See that's the gist of it. He hasn't played in almost 2 years. He has gotten paid well for it. If he were so inclined, he could offer to restructure, take a pay cut, or even an extension. Restructures don't help in the long run. He probably won't take a pay cut. So it pretty much leaves an extension.

If he is healthy, an extension could solve a lot of problems. Then again, Gettlemen may want to jettison that cap hit next year anyway. Too many options at this point to give a definitive answer to the Beast question.

I totally believe we are a better team with Beast than without him. I hope this works out for the best. But I am not too comfortable with it at all.

Call me crazy, but I think both Beason and Gettleman want to see him play this year in order to gauge his contract versus other 4-3 OLBs. Since Beason was a MLB when he got that contract, playing OLB this year will better determine how he measures up to other OLBs and thus how "off" his contract is.

If he can be as productive as, let's say, I don't know, (pulling an OLB name out of thin air) Lance Briggs, then a restructure is probably going to happen.

If he blows up QBs and gets 12-15- (I don't know) 45 sacks like an OLB in a 3-4, then he'll want even more money and he'll probably be cut or traded.

If he blows out a leg again, he'll HAVE to take a pay cut or be cut.

If he's just another guy out there with average production, it's also take a pay cut or be cut.

That's a lot of ifs, and only a season at OLB will provide the answers. Frankly, he's done enough for this organization to deserve that chance, and I'm glad the team has enough class to let him determine his future.

• Pie 1

Well let's not forget that Beason earned that contract too. He's an All-Pro LB when healthy. Prior to his injuries, he [along with Patrick Willis] were the NFC's top representatives on the defensive side of the ball. Granted, Jon has played limited snaps these past two years but if he stays on the field this year and remains productive, I don't see a problem with Beason being paid.

Of course though, nothing is certain yet. Too many unknown constants and variables to make assumptions at this endeavor.

Call me crazy, but I think both Beason and Gettleman want to see him play this year in order to gauge his contract versus other 4-3 OLBs. Since Beason was a MLB when he got that contract, playing OLB this year will better determine how he measures up to other OLBs and thus how "off" his contract is.

If he can be as productive as, let's say, I don't know, (pulling an OLB name out of thin air) Lance Briggs, then a restructure is probably going to happen.

If he blows up QBs and gets 12-15- (I don't know) 45 sacks like an OLB in a 3-4, then he'll want even more money and he'll probably be cut or traded.

If he blows out a leg again, he'll HAVE to take a pay cut or be cut.

If he's just another guy out there with average production, it's also take a pay cut or be cut.

That's a lot of ifs, and only a season at OLB will provide the answers. Frankly, he's done enough for this organization to deserve that chance, and I'm glad the team has enough class to let him determine his future.

Exactly. His performance this year goes a long way in determining his future. Both as a Panther, and as far as compensation is concerned. My main hope is a healthy Beast and an extension in the offseason. Allowing us to keep him, and lower that massive cap hit.

We are better with him. But... With Keek and TD. Do we really need an expensive 3rd LB. Or can we get by with our rookie (Forgot his name) going into his second year?

I can see us using that money to upgrade other positions. But I can also see us keeping Beast. Glad I ain't making this decision.

Exactly. His performance this year goes a long way in determining his future. Both as a Panther, and as far as compensation is concerned. My main hope is a healthy Beast and an extension in the offseason. Allowing us to keep him, and lower that massive cap hit.

We are better with him. But... With Keek and TD. Do we really need an expensive 3rd LB. Or can we get by with our rookie (Forgot his name) going into his second year?

I can see us using that money to upgrade other positions. But I can also see us keeping Beast. Glad I ain't making this decision.

If our D-line improves and makes it less necessary for our LBs to be outstanding, I could see Beason being cut and Klein taking his spot. Seems the ball is in Beason's court. Play up to the contract and then re-structure or extend this next off-season. Or else be cut.

If we could move on from Julius Peppers, we can move on from Jon Beason. Would suck just as bad, tho.

• Pie 2