• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets NBA Draft News Thread

Why am I having such a hard time getting excited about Bennett?

Plz someone pretend like you are his agent and sell me on this undersized PF. If we draft him I want to become a blind homer and swear he is Larry Johnson redux. But I can't get there yet.

Bennett is 6'7", 240... LJ was 6'5-1/2", 235... The size and build is very similar with Bennett having another inch on him.

Bennett has a freakish wingspan of 7'1" and a wide frame like LJ which makes up for his undersized height and allows him to take up some space in the paint.

His comparisons to LJ are not just with size and build.  He is explosive around the rim throwing down monster dunks (think LJ, Kenneth Faried, Paul Milsap), he is a terror on the offensive boards, and is very good using both hands on both sides of the basket.

Not sure how many people followed LJ, but he came into the league mainly a post player and as his career progreessed in Charlotte, he gained a little bit of a 3pt shot his last few years with the Hornets.  Bennett already has a decent 3 pt shot shooting 37% his freshman year at UNLV and will immediately be able to stretch the floor.

I truly think Bennett is the most sure thing at the top of the draft and still has a lot of upside while guys like McLemore and Noel are more high risk, high reward guys.  I think Bennett is a low-risk pick with good character (he's Canadian).  If Bobcats had the #1 pick, I personally would still be considering him depending on the severity of Noel's knee & whether they are sold that McLemore has the killer instinct that some scout say he lacks.

Bennett is 6'7", 240... LJ was 6'5-1/2", 235... The size and build is very similar with Bennett having another inch on him.

Bennett has a freakish wingspan of 7'1" and a wide frame like LJ which makes up for his undersized height and allows him to take up some space in the paint.

His comparisons to LJ are not just with size and build.  He is explosive around the rim throwing down monster dunks (think LJ, Kenneth Faried, Paul Milsap), he is a terror on the offensive boards, and is very good using both hands on both sides of the basket.

Not sure how many people followed LJ, but he came into the league mainly a post player and as his career progreessed in Charlotte, he gained a little bit of a 3pt shot his last few years with the Hornets.  Bennett already has a decent 3 pt shot shooting 37% his freshman year at UNLV and will immediately be able to stretch the floor.

I truly think Bennett is the most sure thing at the top of the draft and still has a lot of upside while guys like McLemore and Noel are more high risk, high reward guys.  I think Bennett is a low-risk pick with good character (he's Canadian).  If Bobcats had the #1 pick, I personally would still be considering him depending on the severity of Noel's knee & whether they are sold that McLemore has the killer instinct that some scout say he lacks.

Thanks!

My favorite part of you analysis was your evidence that he was a high character kid.  "He's Canadian".  lol

I've been reading that Minnesota has worked out Victor Oladipo and is very high on him.

In the OP, there is that one tidbit from a while back on Charlotte and Minnesota possibly being in trade talks.

I have to wonder if there could be a deal in the works so that Minnesota can jump up and get Oladipo.

The Timberwolves will sit down with Victor Oladipo on Friday, a source tells 1500 ESPN.

The team has the ninth overall pick, and it's hard to imagine Oladipo lasting that long at this point. "Numerous sources" told 1500 ESPN that Flip Saunders has a legitimate interest in Oladipo, and the report speculates that Derrick Williams could be used as trade bait in an effort to move up in the draft and take Oladipo.

From Bonnell:

Bobcats will do two workout sessions Wednesday and also interview a couple of the injured guys this week. Noel, Bennett and Len injured.

Nevada-Las Vegas forward Anthony Bennett can't work out due to injury. But he's scheduled to interview with Bobcats Saturday.

Bennett had rotator-cuff surgery in May on his left shoulder. Recovery time on that is 4 months, so Bennett would miss summer league.

I've been reading that Minnesota has worked out Victor Oladipo and is very high on him.

In the OP, there is that one tidbit from a while back on Charlotte and Minnesota possibly being in trade talks.

I have to wonder if there could be a deal in the works so that Minnesota can jump up and get Oladipo.

I've also been seeing a lot of rumors between Orlando and Minny. Theres some mocks having Orlando staying put taking taking Victor and others with Minny jumping up to take him. It's probably a good part for both teams. Orlando in return can get a young Derrick Williams and Minny's two 1st rounders. Minny can finally get that SG.

It's starting to look like a possibility that we'll land a Noel or McLemore at No.4. I think the big shocker in the draft will be made early with Alex Len going No.1 to Cleveland.

(1) Cavs : Alex Len

(2) Orlando / Minny : Victor Oladipo

(3) Wizards : Otto Porter / Anthony Bennett

(4) Hornets : Nerlens Noel / Ben McLemore

I'd rather stay put and take Oladipo ourselves if they're not including more than one 1st rounder in a deal.

I don't think Oladipo is high on our board. He's the exact same player as MKG, but with a better jumper. And, I can't see Cho moving out the No.4 spot. A Noel, Len, or McLemore will be there at that spot. I believe Orlando is the team Minny is in contact with, not us.

I don't think Oladipo is high on our board. He's the exact same player as MKG, but with a jumper. And, I can't see Cho moving out the No.4 spot. A Noel, Len, or McLemore will be there at that spot. I believe Orlando is the team Minny is in contact with, not us.

I would assume if Minnesota is aiming for Oladipo, then they have reached out or discussed trading with each of the top 5-6 teams, Bobcats included.

I don't think Oladipo is high on our board. He's the exact same player as MKG, but with a jumper. And, I can't see Cho moving out the No.4 spot. A Noel, Len, or McLemore will be there at that spot. I believe Orlando is the team Minny is in contact with, not us.

That is exactly what I see. In no particular order I have Noel and Len at the top of my wishlist because I want a big and am not a fan of Bennett. 

As far as SG is concerned I like McLemore's shooting but I think Oladipo will be great as well. If both Noel and Len are off the board I would much rather trade down with Minnesota picking Oladipo for them and hoping to get out SG in Muhammed. Besides Noel and Len there are no other big guys I want. 

I would do 4 for 9, derrick williams, and there late first rounder or second rounder. Then flip that first or second to the Rockets for Thomas Robinson. 

I want to get T-Rob somehow in all my top choices. 

These are my dream scenarios. 

1. Prefer

Kemba 

Hendo 

MKG 

Noel or Len / T-Rob

Biz

*Find a way to trade for Thomas Robinson 

2. Would be happy  

Kemba 

McLemore/Oladipo (Lean towards McLemore bc we need shooting in this lineup)

MKG

Thomas Robinson 

Biz

3. Wouldn't mind

Kemba

Shabazz/Hendo

MKG

Derrick Williams/ Thomas Robinson

Biz 

I would assume if Minnesota is aiming for Oladipo, then they have reached out or discussed trading with each of the top 5-6 teams, Bobcats included.

I agree, but who's willing to move down? Washington was lucky to have the 3rd pick. No way they're trading out. Can't see Phoenix doing that too. I know there's been reports by Amico that the Hornets are willing to trade down, but it's kinda tough to see that happening. We're a really bad team. Even though this is considered a weak class there are guys who could be at no.4 that should still be able to contribute effectively for us. Orlando is the only serious team to trade back with Minny for Victor. I've seen reports that Minny could move as high as No.1 sending Love to the Cavs, but other guys would then be in consideration for that spot, not Victor.

Archived