• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets (Bobcats) Interested In DeMarcus Cousins

PantherBrew

Three days ago I would say no thanks.  Is Ewing is definitely an assistant maybe he can serve as a mentor and developer for Cousins.  Think what a huge different Charles Oakley had with Kwame Brown?  The best season of his career was with Oakley on the bench, maybe Ewing could have a similar effect with Cousins.  If this trade went down, like y'all are saying, Kemba, MKG, Biz are not available and this pick and portlands pick...not Detroit. 

Another thing to consider...Cho is all about "acquiring assets" in order to build his teams..so don't be surprised if the 'Cats use extra picks for situations just like this. 

IMO, it would require an extension and a highly confident Ewing. 

I was semi for it... but after looking at the 2014 draft class... it would be hard to trade away one of those picks...

The most I would give up for him is Sessions and this years 1st...

I was looking at the draft for next year and with the possibility of three first round picks... I'd rather keep all of them.

We could essentially end up with a combination of Andrew Wiggins/Wayne Selden/ and Noah Vonleh... I mean come on...

Like we've talked about in other threads, even though the draft class looks good next year, nothing is set in stone and where you'll draft, so you have to think about alternatives.

DMC is way talented, but yeah, he has some issues.  But that's the case for a lot of NBA players, it's hard to get around.  The NBA seems to have way more than other sport leagues.   If Clifford and Ewing (if he comes) feel they could turn him around, then I'm for it.  Like others have said, this first and Portland 1st is the most.  I think it's worth the risk of getting a 20-10 player.   

I was semi for it... but after looking at the 2014 draft class... it would be hard to trade away one of those picks...

The most I would give up for him is Sessions and this years 1st...

I was looking at the draft for next year and with the possibility of three first round picks... I'd rather keep all of them.

We could essentially end up with a combination of Andrew Wiggins/Wayne Selden/ and Noah Vonleh... I mean come on...

Exactly why I've never understood some around here wanting to sign a couple FAs this offseason and essentially become a borderline playoff team. 

In one draft (2014), the Hornets will have the potential to draft an entire young nucleus and become OKC.  Not to mention there should still be cap room to add a nice FA to a great young core of 5-6 lottery picks. Stern won't leave MJ out to dry when bringing back the Buzz...there will be a fun, young team with (at least) 1 superstar on it come 2014.

let's not get too excited about Portland's pick....it is top 12 protected in 2014.  Piston's pick is top 8

protected...

so in the best case scenario, betting both picks in the 2014 draft would only get us the 9th and 13th picks.

The Wiggins and Randles will be long gone by then.  We would have to get lucky in choosing a player who pans out.

Our own pick should be top 5.

of course, we could package some picks and try to move up, but there's a whole lot "ifs" in that scenario.

Exactly why I've never understood some around here wanting to sign a couple FAs this offseason and essentially become a borderline playoff team. 

The Heat signed some free agents and I think they became more than a "borderline" playoff team.  I know it's semi-different situation, but still.....

The reason you go after FA's is because in the draft, NOTHING is guarenteed.  Look at this year.  We're picking 4th.  Look at last year, we picked #2 despite being the worst basketball team of all time.   Of course you keep hoping each year you find the great white buffalo and get a superstar, and I guess you could sit around for a decade waiting on this and not getting FAs, but that to me just makes no sense.   This isn't the NFL where tanking makes sense to get a franchise QB or something.  I'm not downplaying the importance on the draft, or saying that you can't build a team through the draft, it "can" happen, but I'd rather not wait years and years hoping the lottery stops pooping on our faces and gives us a break.  And in this case, it is VERY, very hard, to find a 20-10 center in any draft.

The Heat signed some free agents and I think they became more than a "borderline" playoff team.  I know it's semi-different situation, but still.....

The reason you go after FA's is because in the draft, NOTHING is guarenteed.  Look at this year.  We're picking 4th.  Look at last year, we picked #2 despite being the worst basketball team of all time.   Of course you keep hoping each year you find the great white buffalo and get a superstar, and I guess you could sit around for a decade waiting on this and not getting FAs, but that to me just makes no sense.   This isn't the NFL where tanking makes sense to get a franchise QB or something.  I'm not downplaying the importance on the draft, or saying that you can't build a team through the draft, it "can" happen, but I'd rather not wait years and years hoping the lottery stops pooping on our faces and gives us a break.  And in this case, it is VERY, very hard, to find a 20-10 center in any draft.

Comparing the Heat, with a superstar already in Wade...while bringing in LBJ/Bosh, , no income taxes in Fla, and coming off a title in the past couple of years is apples and oranges to the situation in Charlotte however.  If Charlotte signed Al Jefferson and the best SG on the market...they're a contender?  Not a chance in hell. 

The Bobcats/Hornets have no superstar.  They don't even have a star yet.  NO free agents would find this situation desirable and more than likely, no superstar ever will sign here when teams like the Lakers, Heat, Mavericks, Rockets, Bulls, etc. are calling as well.  How many free agents were flocking to Seattle before their move?  Or Indiana today for instance?  Small market teams have to build through the draft and  then add pieces, when possible, in FA or through trades which is probably the only way the Horncats land a star outside of the draft.  

Past 10 NBA champs...

Heat - Drafted Wade, LBJ/Bosh in FA (that level player would never sign here)

Mavs - "Drafted" Dirk

Lakers - "Drafted" Kobe, drafted Bynum, trade for Pau, Phil Jackson

Lakers - 

Celtics - Drafted Pierce, drafted Rondo, trade for KG/Allen, Doc

Spurs - Drafted Duncan, Manu, Parker

Heat - Drafted Wade, trade for Shaq

Spurs - Drafted Duncan, Manu, Parker, Popovich

Pistons - 

Spurs - Drafted Duncan, Robinson

How many of those were built through FA?  The Pistons, kind of?  And they were one of the worst championship teams during a terrible period of NBA basketball. 

Teams, especially small market teams, do not win unless they draft a superstar. They're not going to sign here, so you either trade for them when you have a window or you get lucky in the draft.  

Comparing the Heat, with a superstar already in Wade...while bringing in LBJ/Bosh, , no income taxes in Fla, and coming off a title in the past couple of years is apples and oranges to the situation in Charlotte however.  If Charlotte signed Al Jefferson and the best SG on the market...they're a contender?  Not a chance in hell. 

What I get from that is you need to be very active in FA AND the draft.  Not one of those teams were purely built in the draft.   The Heat basically kept Wade but build the rest of the team with FAs.  The Mavs title run had Dirk, yes, but the rest of the team was FAs or trades, Tyson Chandler, etc.   The Spurs are your best example but they always fill the ranks with a ton of vets and good FAs.   Of course I want to draft a superstar, but I don't think passing on a potential beast like DMC is wise either.  Besides, even if you get a superstar, it may not be at that position.   We need to spend as much time on free agents as we do the draft.  We need to sell seats before we lose our franchise.  DMC is questionable, but I'm talking more about the general logic in not passing up on a potential monster.

Besides we HAVE to spend money, we're under the min. salary requirement I think.

Archived