• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets (Bobcats) Interested In DeMarcus Cousins

PantherBrew

C'mon man.  The reason the fans weren't supporting the team during the course of that season was because that was the only year the Bobcats were any good, but by the time the Playoffs rolled around, it was a packed house.  I know that team at one point in the year won I think 11 straight stemming from late December into January.  If they would have kept their core intact and made the playoffs the following season attendance wouldn't be the problem it is even today. 

In retrospect we did the wise thing letting Felton walk, but we should have paid Chandler more.  The guy was the starting 5 the following year for the NBA champs.

Chandler had Boris Diaw syndrome while he was here.  Waste of money with no intentions of contributing... just picking up his massive paycheck riding the pine.

C'mon man.  The reason the fans weren't supporting the team during the course of that season was because that was the only year the Bobcats were any good, but by the time the Playoffs rolled around, it was a packed house.  I know that team at one point in the year won I think 11 straight stemming from late December into January.  If they would have kept their core intact and made the playoffs the following season attendance wouldn't be the problem it is even today. 

In retrospect we did the wise thing letting Felton walk, but we should have paid Chandler more.  The guy was the starting 5 the following year for the NBA champs.

The fans had every reason to support the team that season. The year prior the team barley missed the playoff's finishing 4 games out. Also the year prior they made a blockbuster coaching move to hire Larry Brown. They made blockbuster moves to pick up Chandler and Jackson. 

By the end of January the team was 24-22 and riding a month were they went 12 and 4. They finished the season 20-16 after the All Star break and made the playoff's. In 2010 the Bobcats had Wallace who was named to the All Star team and to the NBA all defensive First team. 

Yet for all that hype surrounding the team, Charlotte couldn't care less. Well that is till it was playoff time and it meant something to be seen at a game for once. 

The Bobcats were 26th in attendance that year, bringing in just over 14k people a game. 

The Bobcats had better attendance records in 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2010-2011 and 2008-2009 season compared to the best season in the young history of the Bobcats. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2008

You can check the records there. 

2009-2010 during the playoff season the attendance was 14,500. The year before it was 14,700, the year after it was 15,800. Since then it's gone no lower then 14,700 which was the seven win season. 

So it has nothing to do with the teams record as the attendance marks show, it had nothing to do with a playoff run. And I've  shown that the team was in the middle of a playoff push the year before, but came up 4 games short. 

The Hornets got lucky in 91/92 with the #1/#2 overall picks.  We got LJ/Zo, 2 great players with chips on their shoulders. eep all the picks and pray we get #1 next year in a loaded draft. This year get Bennett/Len and call it a day. If next years draft if we, again, get the 4th or lower pick this could spell doom for the franchise. 

The fans had every reason to support the team that season. The year prior the team barley missed the playoff's finishing 4 games out. Also the year prior they made a blockbuster coaching move to hire Larry Brown. They made blockbuster moves to pick up Chandler and Jackson. 

By the end of January the team was 24-22 and riding a month were they went 12 and 4. They finished the season 20-16 after the All Star break and made the playoff's. In 2010 the Bobcats had Wallace who was named to the All Star team and to the NBA all defensive First team. 

Yet for all that hype surrounding the team, Charlotte couldn't care less. Well that is till it was playoff time and it meant something to be seen at a game for once. 

The Bobcats were 26th in attendance that year, bringing in just over 14k people a game. 

The Bobcats had better attendance records in 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2010-2011 and 2008-2009 season compared to the best season in the young history of the Bobcats. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2008

You can check the records there. 

2009-2010 during the playoff season the attendance was 14,500. The year before it was 14,700, the year after it was 15,800. Since then it's gone no lower then 14,700 which was the seven win season. 

So it has nothing to do with the teams record as the attendance marks show, it had nothing to do with a playoff run. And I've  shown that the team was in the middle of a playoff push the year before, but came up 4 games short. 

I'm pretty sure I was at one of our playoff games and it was bumpin.  The NFL and NBA are two different monsters when it comes to attendance.  One winning season in the NFL and people come out of the wood work towards the end of the year.   What the Bobcats needed to do was put together back to back decent seasons.  When they blew the roster up after the playoffs they pretty much erased a lot of the gains they made as far as attendance numbers go.

I'm pretty sure I was at one of our playoff games and it was bumpin.  The NFL and NBA are two different monsters when it comes to attendance.  One winning season in the NFL and people come out of the wood work towards the end of the year.   What the Bobcats needed to do was put together back to back decent seasons.  When they blew the roster up after the playoffs they pretty much erased a lot of the gains they made as far as attendance numbers go.

I never said it wasn't bumping, but that fans didn't show up till the playoff's and that was for just 4 games. 

There attendance was higher the year before the playoff season and the the season after. It took a 7 win season to dip to the level of attendance during the playoff run. 

So attendance better before winning, attendance better after winning, but not during the winning????? That's 3 loosing seasons squashed by a winning team and the winning team had similar attendance records as the 7 win team. 

7 win team = 14,500 fans, 44 win season = 14,700 fans. 35 and 34 win teams = over 15k each season. 

The attendance issue has been here from the start, either winning or losing. Heck they average more fans last year then the playoff run. 

What kind of logic is that? 

Chandler was never 100 percent healthy while he was here.

True.  But i don't believe the Bobcats ever intended on resigning him.  We acquired him after we had just resigned Okafor to a long term deal the year before, and then the front office wanted to change directions so getting Chandler from the Hornets in exchange for Emeka gave us an expiring contract.  If we didn't make that trade Okafor would still be on our books for 14.5 million next season and we wouldn't have as much flexibility in free agency...

Keeping Felton and Chandler would have meant paying the luxury tax.  So you think the team should have risked ~$25 million or so, ruined the team's future cap situation (and any roster flexibility), gambling that a 7/8 seed would bring the fans out in droves.

And now you would be left with a lineup of Felton (28), Jackson (35), Wallace (30), Diaw (31), and Chandler (30).  That is not even close to a playoff team right now, so you would have a very expensive team that is not competitive, plus no cap space and no young players to build around (Henderson would be there, Kemba and MKG would not)

I'm glad you arent the GM

I get that people are just sick of the losing, but rebuilding when we did absolutely was the right decision and we should have rebuilt before that. As you mention, "thatlookseasy", that Bobcats team of Felton, Jackson, Wallace, Diaw, and Chandler wasn't going anywhere. We currently sit in a much better position with our young, but developing team of Kemba, Hendo, MKG, McRoberts, Biz. To be honestly I could see us making a big jump in wins next season if we get an all-star caliber PF and our young guys develop a lot. Obviously I'd rather be awful again and get a franchise player in the 2014 draft, but I could see us drafting outside of the top 5. 

I get that people are just sick of the losing, but rebuilding when we did absolutely was the right decision and we should have rebuilt before that. As you mention, "thatlookseasy", that Bobcats team of Felton, Jackson, Wallace, Diaw, and Chandler wasn't going anywhere. We currently sit in a much better position with our young, but developing team of Kemba, Hendo, MKG, McRoberts, Biz. To be honestly I could see us making a big jump in wins next season if we get an all-star caliber PF and our young guys develop a lot. Obviously I'd rather be awful again and get a franchise player in the 2014 draft, but I could see us drafting outside of the top 5. 

If the pick is out of the top 10 in 2014, it would go to the Bulls via the Tyrus Thomas trade. That's why it's a must that the Bobcats absolutely suck this year. They can't give up a pick in the top heaviest draft in years for TNT.

Keeping Felton and Chandler would have meant paying the luxury tax.  So you think the team should have risked ~$25 million or so, ruined the team's future cap situation (and any roster flexibility), gambling that a 7/8 seed would bring the fans out in droves.

And now you would be left with a lineup of Felton (28), Jackson (35), Wallace (30), Diaw (31), and Chandler (30).  That is not even close to a playoff team right now, so you would have a very expensive team that is not competitive, plus no cap space and no young players to build around (Henderson would be there, Kemba and MKG would not)

I'm glad you arent the GM

I said in a previous post that letting Felton walk was a good idea.  It's Chandler that we've should have tried to keep.  

I said in a previous post that letting Felton walk was a good idea.  It's Chandler that we've should have tried to keep.  

Thats fine, but keeping Chandler for the last year of his contract would mean paying the luxury tax unless someone else was moved, then you would have to deal with the big contract he demanded in free agency when he left Dallas and signed with the Knicks. 

And its not like his injury problems have gone away

Thats fine, but keeping Chandler for the last year of his contract would mean paying the luxury tax unless someone else was moved, then you would have to deal with the big contract he demanded in free agency when he left Dallas and signed with the Knicks. 

And its not like his injury problems have gone away

I'd take him right now.

Archived