• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Delhomme versus Plummer..who is more snake-like?

Khaki Lackey

Continuing with SCP's summer doldrums series, I submit this hearty food for thought:

While Jake Delhomme and Jake Plummer entered the NFL in the same year, Plummer was the first of the two to rise to national prominence. Plummer was nicknamed "The Snake" and my personal theory is that he was nicknamed this based on the fact that he was the 1st famous QB named Jake and not due to any snake-like properties.

It must be noted that my point is not that Delhomme was snakier than Plummer, because neither were particularly elusive or slithery. The point is that if Delhomme was indeed snakier, the nickname would have been used prematurely with little basis.

For example, if Olindo Mare was named Kracki Lackey instead, would we call him the Kraken? Imagine yelling "bring out the Kraken!" Then a 180 lb. dork came out and shanked a 30 yarder.

To conclude, it could be argued that Jake Utler of the Chicago Bears is probably the most snake-like of all the NFL QB's named Jake, and that's due to his douchey personality moreso than any on-field characteristics. So don't force the nicknames. That is all.

I'm glad I could bring you this cool story, bros.

Archived