• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Captain Munnerlyn: It’s scary how good the Panthers defense can be

The NFC South's Defenses this year are going to be really interesting to watch. We're seeing the two opposing philosophies play out between three of the teams this year. The Bucs dumped some of their best D-Linemen and took 3 top DBs in FA and the draft. The Falcons continue to neglect their D-Line while adding more CB help this year. We chose to address D-Line big time in the draft and added 'lesser talent' in FA. I leave out the Saints because they are going to be a 3-4 and they don't have very many pieces worth talking about, though I really liked John Jenkins and wouldn't have minded if we had grabbed him at some point.

The Bucs and Falcons clearly think DBs are going to make their defenses better.

Our team had plenty of talent last year but we continued to look bad in big moments. Our players need to continue building confidence, like others have said they needed and are showing this offseason confidence in our system and in their roles, but they also need confidence that they are the best and should never be counted out in a game. Remember that was part of the makeup of our '03 team. It didn't matter what the score was in the 4th quarter, we knew we were going to find a way to win it. Our guys need to believe that and our defense especially needs to know they can make the stops to get the ball back for the O.

P55 when he's right about something:

"I was spot on like always"

P55 when he's wrong about something:

"It's this thing we happy people call being positive have you ever heard of it? Let me talk to you about what my Amway upline said to me about being optimistic during our team meeting earlier this week"

I am not right about everything but I am about a lot of things. I don't post about things I have no clue about unlike you.

As for the argument about positive or negative do some homework and get back to me. I know what I speak about while you make juvenile middle school cracks and actually think you are winning the argument. The worst part is you don't even know how stupid you sound or you would quit while you still have a shred od credibility.

The NFC South's Defenses this year are going to be really interesting to watch. We're seeing the two opposing philosophies play out between three of the teams this year. The Bucs dumped some of their best D-Linemen and took 3 top DBs in FA and the draft. The Falcons continue to neglect their D-Line while adding more CB help this year. We chose to address D-Line big time in the draft and added 'lesser talent' in FA. I leave out the Saints because they are going to be a 3-4 and they don't have very many pieces worth talking about, though I really liked John Jenkins and wouldn't have minded if we had grabbed him at some point.

The Bucs and Falcons clearly think DBs are going to make their defenses better.

Our team had plenty of talent last year but we continued to look bad in big moments. Our players need to continue building confidence, like others have said they needed and are showing this offseason confidence in our system and in their roles, but they also need confidence that they are the best and should never be counted out in a game. Remember that was part of the makeup of our '03 team. It didn't matter what the score was in the 4th quarter, we knew we were going to find a way to win it. Our guys need to believe that and our defense especially needs to know they can make the stops to get the ball back for the O.

Of.all of the defenses the panthers have had the 96 defense stands out as the one defense that came up big when needed. I remember you could count on Kevin Greene making a sack when you had to have it. He wasn't alone but he would really bring it when he had to.

Of.all of the defenses the panthers have had the 96 defense stands out as the one defense that came up big when needed. I remember you could count on Kevin Greene making a sack when you had to have it. He wasn't alone but he would really bring it when he had to.

Greene definitely had a knack for those splash type plays. Always seemed like when you needed a play, he would make one. He really was fun to watch. We have been blessed with a few really good LB in our time. But Greene tops them all in my book.

If you like good LB play, this is going to be a fun year.

You can have great defenses with dominate pass rush, and younger, not all pro talent in the secondary.

You can't have a great defense with a really good backend, with no pass rush.

Exactly.

If our Defense plays as expected, by everyone but those doubters, the return game gives us what we are looking for, throw in less 80+ yard drives as a result, and that should take a lot of pressure off the O.

If our O plays as expected, that should allow the D to play to its strength. Apply pressure to cause more punts or turnovers. Be as aggressive as Rivera wants to be. Keep applying pressure. Make it damm near impossible to drive the length of the field to score. Sure some teams can do it, but it is not something teams will be able to do consistently.

IMO. The only thing keeping us from being top shelf is experience at winning games. we started the learning process last year. So, to me anywho, we may be ready to take that next step.

To me, the future has already started. I can live with that.

The difference in this coming season and seasons past is.

In years past we were bend don't break.  Doing things to stop the offense.

Before I say this, I am not an expert but I know what GOOD defenses do.  And I think we are going to be a Good if not Great defense.

Good Defenses dictate to the offense.  Take away portions of a offensive scheme so they have to play into our hands.   I think our team this year is going to dictate.  In your face, coming from everywhere (ie. 2009 Phildelphia Eagles) defense.

The front four has the talent to stop the run and pressure the pass.  4 against 5.  3 of those men are going to be one on one.  Whether they get to the QB or not.  He will feel the heat.  He will make a few mistakes and hopefully that is where we take advantage. 

I don't fear our division this year.  Oh we aren't going to shut them out but they also aren't going to walk up and down the field.  Those same teams don't have a defense as solid as ours.   We have just as many weapons to make a diffierence.  We'll hold our own. 

This is all based on we stay healthy.  We have some good backups but cannot take a hit too often on either side of the ball.

I am not right about everything but I am about a lot of things. I don't post about things I have no clue about unlike you.

As for the argument about positive or negative do some homework and get back to me. I know what I speak about while you make juvenile middle school cracks and actually think you are winning the argument. The worst part is you don't even know how stupid you sound or you would quit while you still have a shred od credibility.

oh stop it you.

everybody that's been on here for more than two minutes knows you dive head first into arguments, have something slip out that makes no sense, and then when someone calls you out on it, you try to rationalize it with 3 paragraphs of word salad, get pissy, and start slinging passive aggressive personal attacks. You're so transparent to anybody who has a clue.

and it's funny you think i'm arguing with you. i've won arguments against you years ago. and at this point, i've pretty much given up on you as anything but an opinionated stubborn old man with absolutely zero ability to take a criticism of his perceived immaculate perspective.

Archived