• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ruff's 7-28 Camp Observations

Ruff

But again, to be on the field for those type plays....they still have to trust he can sufficiently pass protect if need be to routinely see the field.

Darren Sproles is basically what you want him to be....Sproles wouldn't see the field as much if he couldn't pass protect if need be. Sproles can. Barner will have to prove he can step up and pass protect to be a routine fixture as a a Sproles type weapon.

I wouldn't expect much 5 wide....that isn't the Norv tree or Shula way.

there are ways to get around his lack of blocking that doesn't immediately give the defense a clue about what he is doing or what we are doing.

Has there been a camp update yet where someone doesn't ask about Gettis?

Gettis has that intriguing combo if size and speed. Given his pretty solid rookie season, he has the physical skills to be very good.

That combo can't be taught and I believe everyone just hopes he can out us together.

I remember when I posted that Oregon vs USC game where Barner had like 350 yards and 5 tds and people told me it was just the system and he looked slow. lol

And like rayzor said, Barner is gonna be a chess piece. I don't think he can pass block very well yet.

He's not going to break very many tackles, but he's damned sure a break-away threat.

If he is going to be in shotgun spread sets....he absolutely has to be able to block if called upon.

Unless you just expect us to run a draw every play he is in or a zone read.

Can't have someone who can't block be called to block an overloaded blitz with an audible. Sproles....while tiny....doesn't suck at pass protection

I guess we'll just wait and see dude.

I'm sure they have a nice package for him since he's something RR has been longing for.....

and I doubt blocking is in the package.

I guess we'll just wait and see dude.

I'm sure they have a nice package for him since he's something RR has been longing for.....

and I doubt blocking is in the package.

If he is a 3rd down RB....he will have to be able to sufficiently handle pass protection. Part of the job....as they are often audibled to protect.

Name a good 3rd down RB that sucks at picking up blitzes...

Man with offenses these days, RB blocking is irrelevant

Also get a good O-Line and we won't have to be sitting here talking about RB's blocking

I'd argue the opposite. The old ground and pound days it was more irrelevant. These newer spread offenses make picking up blitzes more relevant and important for RBs.

OL doesn't take care of blitz happy D's by themselves. A numbers game. D's can force RBs and TEs to get involved in protection....and the right side of our OL is a hot mess as is

Archived